Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bluebird of Happiness

The Less is More challenge this week is...
ONE LAYER CARD

with the subject of
BIRDS
Remember to add NO additional layers and to keep embellishments to a minimum.

I got this stamp a while back.  It's called Young Vermillion but I've changed him to a bluebird for this card. He's a very bright bluebird.  Too bright actually.  But he is bound to spread some happiness to someone.  I've been seeing a bluebird flitting around in my yard lately and thought how nice it would be to put one on a card.

I stamped this little guy in StazOn on Naturals White and used my SU Markers to color him.  The retired Ballet Blue was my favorite bluebird color, but I thought I would try the Island Indigo and Calypso Coral.  Thus the bright bird.


After stamping and coloring the little guy, I masked off a section and sponged some Bashful Blue and Not Quite Navy for the sky.  Then I extended the branch to the end of the sponging, used my Basic Black marker to outline the design area and used my Simply scored to add some extra details.  When I scored, I realized that my sponging wasn't exactly straight.  But I decided I kinda liked it that way.

All supplies Stampin' Up!

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Young Vermillion
Ink:  Jet Black StazOn, Bashful Blue, Not Quite Navy, SU Markers (Island Indigo, Calypso Coral, Soft Suede Basic Black)
Paper: Naturals White
Other:  White Gel Pen, Simply Scored

I'm really glad you popped in. 

Enjoy!


21 comments:

Cynthia said...

I don't think he's too bright--I think he's the perfect color! :-) And I love the scoring, especially under the Happiness. It ties the whole card together. Beautiful!

jimlynn said...

He's not too bright for me Bonnie! He's just wonderful and I love all the scoring on here too! Very pretty.
Lynn

Chrissie said...

He looks more like a robin than a bluebird to me Bonnie! It's a great stamp... he looks really 'tweet'!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Kirsten Alicia said...

He is beautiful & not too bright at all.

Aileen said...

I love your bright bluebird. He does look happy! x

Mandi said...

Absolutely gorgeous Bonnie
That is such a lovely bird stamp

Many thanks
mandi
"Less is More"

Nikki Spencer said...

Love your bird Bonnie, it looks set to take flight, he pops right off the card.
Happy new year to you & l hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Julie said...

Well I like the bright blue bird..it's lovely and cheery! The recipient will love it!

Colleen Dietrich said...

They say everything is brighter in Miami, so maybe this bluebird hails from Miami! LOL

I like him very much, and the simple style of your card. The scored lines are the perfect touch...still keeping it simple, yet adding little details.

Benzi said...

Very pretty, Bonnie! The eastern bluebird is my favorite. I almost squeal with delight when I see one in my yard.

Ellen said...

You did a great job with your coloring/sponging! And, congratulations: this card was posted to Splicoast's Facebook page! :)
http://www.facebook.com/Splitcoaststampers

Viv said...

Fabulous card just love the colours too :O) Viv xx

Bev J. said...

Love that bluebird-have been seeing some around here too. I finally got a Scor-Pal for Christmas so like the idea of your scoring detail-very nice card!

Lynne said...

He`s a beautiful bird on a fabulous card.
Lynne xxx

Tan's Hobbies said...

What a great card you made, Bonnie. It is simple, clean, yet gorgeous. Love the way you color the cute bird =)

Lorraine said...

I long to see a bluebird on a winter day. Thanks for the sighting today. He's beautiful. I love the simplicity of this card. Very nicely done.

Pauline said...

Just beautiful Bonnie, I love the scoring too.

Vicky Hayes said...

I absolutely love this gorgeous stamp Bonnie - he can be any bird you like!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Such a beautiful bird and card

Lisa A. said...

What a lovely bluebird, Bonnie...LOVE the coloring...it is what "makes" him...very pretty:)!!

~Tammy~ said...

Bonnie this is amazing! with images and coloring like this Less is MORE!