Saturday, May 23, 2015

Watercolor Coverup for Happy Little Stampers CAS Challenge

I am Guest Designing again today for
Happy Little Stampers CAS Challenge



This is the end result of trying a new technique with die cuts that just didn't work out.

I tried to use the negative of the die as a stencil to 
watercolor a butterfly.

A lesson in why to use stamps!

Or get better at watercolor!


Now, I could have done like Darnell did and use a fine point marker to 
add some detail to the butterfly.

But I had a die cut just sitting there. 

So I popped it on.

Then I stamped the sentiment directly on the watercolor.

What?  You don't see it there?

It was crooked.  And I mean really crooked!

Soooooo......

I tore it off and stamped on the card.

I really had to work hard for this one!

I added three black pearls.

One snuck away before I could get the photo.

I noticed that it was missing and added one before I mailed it.


Thanks for the visit.

Enjoy!
    **********
Card Recipe
Stamps:  Proverbs 3:5 (Verve)
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper:  Watercolor (Arches 140 lb. cold press for design, Strathmore for card),, Basic Black
Other:  Reinkers (Daffodil Delight, Strawberry Slush, Butterflies Thinlits, Black Gems (SSS) [looks like one fell off...

All supplies are Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted

16 comments:

Loll said...

Well, it was all the hard work Bonnie, because it is totally amazing. Love the soft colours of watercolouring ... and the black really pops. Beautiful design. I have not been able to use stencils for watercolouring a solid image as well ... I find it bleeds underneath too much and I just end up with blobs of colour. :) I think you did an amazing job!! Thanks again for being our guest designer. It's been wonderful having you on the team this month! xx

Mrs A. said...

It's a great card Bonnie and would have been so perfect for my previous challenge.. Got any doilies? Hugs Mrs A.

Betty said...

some days i think making a card is just like getting old - patch and fix and hope that it turns out ok:-) and you created a lovely card - wonderful colors and the black butterfly is just the right "pop" the background colors needed!!

MaryH said...

Looks pretty impressive to me! I think your w/coloring is just grand. That splendid bold butterfly just sings perched on top of the more pastel swirls of your w/c. I LOVE it. No big surprise at that! TFS & Hugs

Brenda said...

Well this card gave you a fit Bonnie, but I think your persistence won out and you have created a truly beautiful card! I'm glad you stick with it and I'm kinda' glad that the sentiment was really crooked because I love that torn edge like that. Heck if you hadn't told us, we would have been none the wiser and just thought you were a clever crafty gal! Hugs, Brenda

Nessa's Crafty Place said...

Beautiful card Bonnie-love this effect :)
Nessa xxx

JoAnn said...

Your hard work was worth it. The butterfly is beautiful. I like the way you tore the watercolored paper and stamped that beautiful sentiment. Have a wonderful week my friend.

Susan said...

Your write-up on the card process made me laugh - it's not always easy, that's for sure! But your end result is great - love the die cut defining the butterfly and your save for the sentiment!

OH Babs said...

Bonnie as I glanced at your card I thought how neat the tear was - there was a time when we did that often. So I think it is a great wc card and stamping on wc paper is not easy.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A lovely bright and cheerful card. What? you made a mistake, Nah! not on this card :)

jimlynn said...

Great cover-up because I love the design you ended up with! Beautiful butterfly and no details needed to be added to it. Perfect just as is! A beautiful card Bonnie!
Lynn

Bobby said...

Oh, the trials and tribulations of card making, huh Bonnie. Isn't it great that it's just paper and ink so there are many ways to save the day, just like you did here. I actually like the torn edge and I seeing nothing wrong with the lovely butterfly.

Pam said...

Looks fabulous to me!

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Bonnie, don't you just hate it when a card gets a mind of it's own and fights you all the way - it was worth it though as this is fantabulous!
Blessings
Maxine

Marybeth said...

Oh you are so smart to plop the black outline on for your butterfly! This turned out beautifuly! Love it!

Greta said...

It was worth the effort, Bonnie! You ended up with a stunner!