Monday, January 16, 2017

Snowflake CAS Watercolour Reminder

We're halfway through the month of January already.

At CAS Watercolour this month we're doing snowflakes.


I used this technique by Nina-Marie Designs to add watercolor over my stencil.

The stencil is one that Loll sent me.  I believe she cut it with her Cameo.

I did find that you need to use a stencil that has lots of negative space.
I tried this technique with a dainty stencil and it didn't work well.

I smooshed some Distress ink on my craft sheet and spritzed it with water.

Using a foam brush, I picked up the ink and dabbed it over the stencil.

As I changed colors, I tried to blend each into the last.

When it was dry, I spritzed with a bit of water, let it sit about 30 seconds
and dabbed with a paper towel.

Pretty easy and lots of fun to splat that color on!

The CAS Watercolour Card Challenge
is open until the 24th.

I'm going to take this over to
Time Out Challenges
where the theme is WINTER.
I'm not using the optional twist of white on white.


Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!




Card Recipe
Stamps:  
Ink:   Salty Ocean, Blueprint Sketch
Paper:   Watercolor Paper (TH), Tempting Turquoise, Whisper White, Thick Whisper White (SU)
Other:  Stencil (Cameo), Kars Snowflake EF (retired Cuttlebug), Sequins (SSS), Silver Twine (retired SU)


17 comments:

Loll said...

So pretty!! What a fun way to watercolour over a stencil. Have not tried that ... but need to! :) The colours are so gorgeous Bonnie. xx

nancy littrell said...

TFS your watercolour stenciled technique for your beautiful snowflake card, Bonnie. I love your ombre CAS design. TFS my friend. Hugs...

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous watercolor, Bonnie, and I love it over the embossed dots!!

Susan said...

Thanks for explaining the way you did this, Bonnie - must give it a try as it's a nice alternative to brushos over stencils. Love your colour combination and your simple embellishment of sequins and silver cord.

Barb said...

Oh this is very pretty Bonnie and an interesting technique. The colours are beautiful. Barbxx

Mac Mable said...

Such a unique and artsy effect. Love the vibrant colours. Great technique...Thank you x

Pink Unicorn said...

Oh wow this is stunning, it's a work of art!

MaryH said...

TFS the video link, which I shall check out! It's a lovely look with the Distress smooshing and Loll's fantastic stencil design. Thanks for the tip about avoiding the more intricate designs when trying this. I'll have to check my stencils for a good one. Love the blue shades with the snowflakes, and of course the silvery sequins. And it looks perfect with the falling snow on the embossed background of the card too! TFS & Hugs.

Lisa Lara said...

Gorgeous background Bonnie!

Pat said...

I love these two contrasting shades of blue Bonnie and the snowflake stencil that Loll cut for you is so pretty and has worked beautifully to make this a wonderful card. x

Jo said...

This is stunning! I just love the non defined edges of your snowflakes, great blue colours too.
Thanks for sharing the link, Hugs

Karen Dunbrook said...

I love this Bonnie...the colour blends are wonderful!! and you know how much I love my blues!!
xxKaren

Nstiz said...

Beautiful blending of color on this! Thanks of describing a new technique too! I'll have to try this. What a great card, Bonnie!

kiwimeskreations said...

Beautiful card Bonnie - love that stencil technique!
Blessings
Maxine

Nonni said...

Great use of smoothing, one of my fave techniques! The colors look very pretty. Thanks for joining us at TIME OUT, do visit us again tomorrow for our new challenge!

Shona Chambers said...

This is so beautiful Bonnie and perfectly CAS too!! And loving the dotty background panel too, fabulous backdrop for your water colouring. Always wonderful to see you at TIME OUT!!

Susan said...

Looks like a cool technique...Don't think I've tried that one before. Pretty card!