Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Salty Marigold or is it a Dahlia

Hello dear friends.

Here's another sample of salt play and a reminder that there's still time to enter at
CAS Watercolour.


I covered a piece of watercolor paper with a wash of yellows using my
Gansai Tambi watercolors.

While it was still quite wet, I sprinkled some Himalayan Fine Pink salt in a couple of areas.

I just used a pinch and tried to keep it in a small section.

To my surprise, it looked like a couple of flowers when it dried!

I probably couldn't do this again but that's what's fun about using salt on watercolor.

You never know how it's going to look!

I used a water soluble marker to outline the lighter "petals".

The background piece used as a mat was done using the same colors of paint and table salt.

I've covered most of it up so you can't really see much of the pattern left from the salt.

Sorry I didn't get a photo of the piece before I cut it up.

I'll try to do better next time.

this month is

The challenge is open until the 24th.

The Design Team and our awesome Guest Designer, Ros, have lots
of gorgeous samples to share with you there.

And if you need some video help, there's links at the 
challenge site.


Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!




Card Recipe
Stamps:  Happy Snippets (PB)
Ink:   Soft Suede (SU), SU Marker (Old Olive)
Paper:   Watercolor (Strathmore CP for background, Arches CP for watercolor)
Other:  Gansai Tambi Watercolors (#43 Mid Yellow, #42 Bright Yellow, #33 Orange), Himalayan Fine Pink Salt, Table Salt


22 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

so cool the way the salt has created an image, awesome outlining to create your Dahlia :)

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous salt effect on your watercolored wash, Bonnie. I thought your flower looked like a hydrangea...it definitely looks like a flower..so cool. Love how you added the other salted background as a framing layer. Such a beauty my friend. TFS Hugs..

Linda said...

Oh, that is lovely Bonnie. Love the yellow. I thought of hydrangea too when I saw it.

Pat said...

This might be random Bonnie but it is so pretty and I love that bright yellow and the more orangy shade too, and that definitely looks like a gorgeous dahlia, one of those large prize blooms where the petals all turn up towards the centre and I love the white layer in between the two yellow layers which keeps your eye fixed on that salty image. x

Marcia Hill said...

Dahlia or Hydrangea...either way this is absolutely lovely Bonnie! Love all the yellow and just a tiny hint of orange...beautiful, beautiful card!! :0)

Susan said...

Amazing how the salt created the flower! And I like the way you outlined the lighter petals. It's so interesting seeing the results we get with salt!

Maria - Ivyleaf Crafts said...

Wow a great card I really must try this technique it looks great fun to do as you don't know what you will get xx

Loll said...

I have been blown away with all your salt cards Bonnie. Each one is so uniquely creative and beautiful. I love how you've turned the bursts into flowers. So artsy!! xx

Liz said...

Oh WOW, Bonnie! What an amazing result from adding the salt! Stunning card. xx

Ros Crawford said...

Hydrangea even! It's amazing!! I never think to use orange and yellows and yet they look so pretty!

Brenda in IN said...

I love this bright, happy card Bonnie. You have made the most amazing cards with the salt. I love them all.

Bunny said...

Beautiful colors. It really does look like a mum or some type of flower. [Bunny]

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

An amazing result and so beautiful too, LOVE the colour.
Faith
x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This is really cool looking and does look like an abstract flower. I vote marigold. Does Pink Himalayan Salt give a different look than other rock salts?

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Oh my Bonnie! I really thought you had a stencil or something to get that glorious flower! Well done! Beautiful, bright cheery colours too! Love it! Have a fabulous day my friend! Love & Hugs. Hazel xx
My Card Attic

MaryH said...

Beautiful tone on tone, with these sunny colors. This salt is a new product to me! It certainly made a lovely flower image with the salt. I've not had a great deal of success just using kosher salt...but this is pretty! TFS

Mac Mable said...

Such an amazing result. Fabulous flower and as you say you probably couldn't get quite this effect again. Such a vibrant, creative and lovely card x

Sandy said...

Only pink Himalayan will do -- right Bonnie!!!!
Sandy xx

Robyn Oliver said...

Fabulous salt creation Bonnie, love how this turned out for you and the one colour is really nice

Papercraft Boutique said...

I thought you used a flower stamp before I read your blog. Amazing how the salt effect works! The Marigold/Dahlia is sooo beautiful, and I love that you used only one color for the flower and the background. Hideko

Bobby said...

That does look like a gorgeous flower, Bonnie. Too bad there's not much control with the salt. But then again that's part of the charm of the technique.

BożenA said...

That is why I love watercolor so much because the final effect is unique and sometimes difficult to predict. Your flower that was born accidentally is amazing. I love such surprises, which sometimes give me a fate :-))
Hugs,
BożenA