Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Blessing

I don't usually post on Sundays but I really wanted to share this with you.  Yesterday afternoon, when we were leaving the new house, my husband pointed out this beauty on the tree in the flower bed.


Since I had just been reading up on butterflies, I recognized it as a Luna Moth.  When I got home, I looked it up on the Internet and realized that this guy had just hatched out.  See that wavy line?  It is the separation between the two wing sets and his wings hadn't finished "inflating".

Notice that lovely purple line at the top of his wings and the fancy antennae.  Isn't he just amazing?

You can find more information here if you're interested.

I'm sure he's gone and I wish we could have stayed to see him fully develop and fly away.  He was about 4 1/2" at this stage.  If we go over there this evening, I'll be sure to take my camera in case  he's still there or there is another.

We feel like God has truly blessed our new home.

Thanks for the visit and all the lovely comments you have left today.  They left a big smile on my face.

Enjoy!

Bonnie

10 comments:

G Peplow said...

Hi there Bonnie, What a beautiful moth and it's obviously there to bid you welcome to your new house, simply fantastic, Good Luck I hope all goes well in your new home :0) xxx

Susie said...

So beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, this is so cool! I've never seen one like this before. Best wishes in your new home :)
(I have to post as Anonymous, I am having trouble commenting and signing in on Blogger for the past few weeks.)
Joanne Travis
(sleepyinseattle)

Emily Keaton said...

Wow, Bonnie. This is GORGEOUS!!

Joanne Travis said...

Bonnie, thanks for the tip on sign in at Blogger, that did the trick!

Vicky Hayes said...

Isn't that special?! Enjoy life in your new home Bonnie! Vx

Shirley said...

Beautiful, Bonnie, thanks for sharing!!

Benzi said...

Bonnie, isn't this wonderful? A new creation at which to marvel. I love to watch birds..they are so fascinating as is all new life and how it comes about.

Sarn said...

Wow - an amazing picture.

Hugs, Sandra

Margaret said...

Was scrolling through your blog and had to smile! We found one of these guys on our deck about a week ago, but sadly,he was not alive anymore. It did give my family a chance to observe it more closely and the girls decided they didn't want it to be 'eaten' by something and brought it in the house. So our luna moth is sitting on top of my computer desk as we speak!