Thursday, July 29, 2010

Butterfly on the House

I didn't think I could do it. I thought, "Oh man, I should have bought that woodgrain background stamp". But, you know what? It was really easy.

I watched the tutorials for faux woodgrain that are listed here on SCS for the Ways to Use it Challenge today. And I thought about it.

A couple of hours later, I decided to give it a try, but I wanted a lighter background than the tutorials showed. It looks like white washed siding doesn't it?

All I did was take a 4" x 5 1/4" piece of Whisper White and score it on my cutting board. I use a stylus and just pull it down the cutting line. That Score Pal thing-a-ma-jig looks really cool, but unfortunately I don't have one. Anyway, I put the first score line at 1/2" and then 1" apart across the sheet.

After it was scored, I used the Going Gray ink pad and dragged it down the card using the direct to paper technique. It didn't work very well. I thought I'd use it the wide way and it made a real smeary mess. But not to be deterred, I turned the card over and tried it again holding the pad the long way and pulling down twice. There is a bit of overlap in the center, but it makes it look a little more shabby chic.

I had this butterfly in the UFO box. I had stamped and painted it a couple of years ago from the Wonderful Wings set. It's dated 2001 but it is a classic. I cut the butterfly out and adhered him to the wall, stamped a sentiment in Basic Black and put it on a black card base.

I love it, a new, easy technique and another UFO finds a home. Whoo hoo!

Card Recipe
Stamps:
Wonderful Wings, Sincere Salutations

Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White, Watercolor
Ink: Black StazOn, Going Gray, Basic Black, Always Apricot, Pumpkin Pie, Really Rust
Acc.: Stylus, Blender Pen

Go ahead and give it a try if you haven't already.

God bless.
Bonnie

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

I. Love. This.

Ravengirl said...

I absolutely adore your whitewashed siding and can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic, Bonnie! when I first saw it I thought it was DP, then I read how you'd achieved the effect with scoring and an ink pad...it's so impressive and effective. I love the butterfly with it too, just beautiful x

Colleen Dietrich said...

This reminds me of being out in farm country somewhere. What a wonderful image you have created!

Terstamper said...

I love the white washed look, reminds me of the beach.

Ter ;)