Monday, September 3, 2012

Merry Monday Pieced Poinsettia

I love poinsettias at Christmas and have been know to keep one well beyond Christmas and even had the pleasure of having one bloom again.  Hopefully this one won't fade.  It's for the Merry Monday challenge.


Here's Lesley's sketch for this week.

I pulled out the Blossom Builder punch, which I have rarely used. I actually bought it thinking it would work for building a poinsettia.  I think it worked really well, but it's pretty big!

After punching the petals, I used the stylus from my Simply Scored and the Stampin' Pierce Mat to make some veins on the petals and soften the cardstock a bit.  After putting the flower together, I used some faux flower soft pressed into some Crystal Effects in the center.

I will have to put this in a bigger envelope to mail, but it looked so much better off the card a bit.

I hope you'll join us at Merry Monday this week.  The design team has outdone themselves again!

                    LeAnne Pugliese (off this week)


All supplies are Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Christmas Blessings, Greetings of the Season
Ink:  Jet Black StazOn, Garden Green, SU Markers (Real Red, Garden Green)
Paper:  Naturals White, Garden Green, Real Red
Other: Faux Flower Soft (homemade: recipe follows), Simply Scored

Faux Flower Soft:  
  • Rub 2 stryrofoam balls together and catch in a self closing sandwich bag.  
  • Add a few drops of re-inker and smoosh all around.  
  • Let dry and add to projects as needed.

Someone from Splitcoaststampers gave me the directions on how to do this. Sorry, I don't  remember who.

I'm probably going to be AWOL for a few days.  I've got to cut sets for some upcoming classes and need to stop playing until that's done.

Thanks for stopping by.

Enjoy!

18 comments:

jimlynn said...

I'll have to try that homemade flowersoft recipe! Thanks!

So pretty! Love the big poinsettia and all the rest of the card too! Simply gorgeous.

Lynn

Cynthia said...

That is one gorgeous card, Bonnie!! =D I love that poinsettia--it looks almost like felt! SO pretty!!

Lisa said...

So pretty Bonnie, your poinsettia looks so real! Beautiful card!

LeAnne said...

Just gorgeous! And very creative to make your own flower soft!

Darnell said...

This is really amazing, Bonnie! Great job on using your blossom builder for that luscious poinsettia! I love the banner behind, I love the cardstock. It's all yum!

Thanks, too, for the tip on the faux flower soft!

I'll miss you. Hope you have a successful workshop!!

Lesley said...

Fantastic poinsettia Bonnie...the texture on the petals is perfect!!

Terry said...

I think your card and flower are gorgeous!

Benzi said...

Bonnie, this is a beautiful poinsettia AND card!
What a great idea for the faux Flower Soft. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Colleen Dietrich said...

I like the poinsettia off the side of the card, too, Bonnie. It just looks right that way. So much for a standard envelope!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Just catching up BOnnie, ALL your cards are beautiful, this is a special card for Christmas

Notes by Nina said...

Bonnie your card is beautiful, your poinsettia is so pretty.

Mary Marsh said...

this is a real beauty Bonnie-love your poinsettia image and the card layout-this is a great sketch

Mrs A. said...

Your poinsettia is gorgeous and thanks for the instructions on making faux flowwer soft. Hugs Mrs A.

Carol L said...

This poinsettia just dazzles right off the page! I love that border background and the home-made flower soft too! TFS!

Debbie said...

So pretty!! I really like the red/green against the white!!!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Gorgeous - love the poinsettia Bonnie. I might have to CASE this as I've tried to make one, but it never turns out this good!

Mikki said...

Bonnie, what a gorgeous Christmas card and lovely poinsettia. I might try to case this myself also, since this is terrific. I wish I had time to do this sketch...it looks so fun, but there always next week.

Colleen Dietrich said...

Wow! Big bold poinsettia...and I'm glad you shared how you made the faux flower soft! Never heard of that before.