Sunday, April 30, 2017

Playing with Oxide Inks

I had an opportunity to play with my new Distress Oxide Inks (DOX) last week.

Here are two samples of smooshing with them.

I used the same technique on both of these samples.
The one on the left was smooshed on cardstock.
The one on the right was smooshed on Tim Holtz Specialty Paper.

For each sample, I applied the ink to my craft sheet one color at a time 
and smooshed the paper in the ink WITHOUT spritzing with water.

Then I spritzed the inked piece with water as I dried it.

It moved a lot more on the specialty paper.

I thought the colors were more vibrant than when I spritzed the inks with water before smooshing.

It looks more like smooshing with Distress Ink with the
advantage of the colors layering.


Here's a card I made from the sample on the left.


That bit of pink made me think of a flower.

I framed it with a NBUS Stitched Hexagon Layers.
There's a piece of die cut foam underneath.

I don't know if you can see the background or not.
It was a piece that had been dry embossed with a stencil.
It adds a very subtle embossing.
It's a good thing it's subtle, because the embossing is crooked.
The more I tried to straighten it, the worse it got!

This is the card I made with some of the piece done on Specialty Paper.

It's a shameful CASE of Jennifer McGuire's card.

I love this NBUS Poppystamp die!


Pixie's Snippet Playground: Used snippets for my butterfly.



Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!



Card Recipe
Stamps:  Beautiful Butterflies (PTI)
Ink:   Memento Tuxedo Black, Fossilized Amber, Twisted Citron, Worn Lipstick, Spiced Marigold DOX (TH)
Paper:   Neena (110 lb.), Specialty Paper (TH), Basic Black (SU)
Other:  Stitched Hexagon Layers, Kaleidoscope Butterfly, Texture Mesh Stencil (MB), Floral Stem Collage Poppy (PS), Candy Dot




26 comments:

Georgiana said...

Both look beautiful with your new smooshing inks.

Karen Dunbrook said...

love your results Bonnie...I have just picked some up and need to play.
xx Karen

jimlynn said...

Beautiful cards and great results with the oxides! I really like these inks and have been trying several things with them. They blend so much easier too!
Lynn

Mac Mable said...

Thanks Bonnie for the comparisons etc ...Still not invested in the oxides yet!!!! Such pretty colours you've used and you certainly get different results with the different paper/card. I do so like the hexagon die cut, a little different. Had a chuckle about the subtle stenciling. Stunning second card too with a glorious background x

Linda said...

Two beauties Bonnie. I just got my oxides and need to play with them yet. Thanks for the inspiration.

TK said...

Beautiful panels, and I'm LOVING your examples! Two perfect cards from those panels too...

Liz said...

Two fabulous cards, Bonnie, I love the smooshed backgrounds. xx

Julia Aston said...

Wonderful panels created with your DOX inks Bonnie - and your card designs are beautiful! Julia xx

Craftychris said...

Fabulous backgrounds and gorgeous cards! xxx

JoAnn said...

Beautiful cards. Love your smooshed pieces.

Susanne Vargas said...

Yes, those DOX definitely look intriguing... Love the backgrounds and cards you created!

Sarn said...

2 beautiful cards Bonnie. Love the backgrounds u created. Lovely dies too xxx

Di said...

Absolutely beautiful snippets card Bonnie - plus the other one is a stunner as well. LOVE those backgrounds - I can see more spending here :)

Hugs

Di xx

Marcia Hill said...

Both are lovely, lovely cards Bonnie! My new DOX inks still have the plastic wrapping on them...I think I need to get busy!! :0)

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I like the warmth and brightness of these colors (bright but not put on your sunglasses bright). New toys!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Both very Beautiful cards.
Faith
x

nancy littrell said...

OMG Bonnie...both your DOX backgrounds are absolutely Stunning!! I love your CAS designs for both your cards. Your Die cuts added so much interest and beauty. Thank you for sharing your detailed steps on how you used your Distress Oxide Inks. Can't wait to get mine next week :-) Hugs...

Susan said...

Two lovely cards from your backgrounds, Bonnie! A wonderful mixture of colours and great added die cuts!

Bobby said...

Those turned out beautifully, Bonnie. I'm going to try spritzing after to see what I get.

Caryn said...

Love what you did with those inks Bonnie - great card.
Thanks for joining in at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge this week.
Hugs,
Caryn xxx

Christine Alexander said...

gorgeous backgrounds with DOX's and love the CAS framing.

Pat said...

The oxide inks have worked beautifully here Bonnie and I love the colour combination, so bright and pretty and the black butterfly and sentiment give a good contrast on the first, and then the pretty die cut white poppy frame looks fabulous with that red dot. Two great cards. x

Loll said...

Looks like you had fun playing with the DOX inks. I find I learn something new every time I play with them. :) Gorgeous colours ... you know me ... pink and orange - YAY! LOVE the two cards you've made with your beautiful smooshed pieces. The black butterfly is striking against the soft colours of the background. LOVE the subtle dry embossing with your stencil. Glad you mentioned it, because I did have to look harder at the photo. :) And I LOVE your second card. I have that die on my wish list ... it's just perfect done in the layers with white over your gorgeous background. Amazing cards, my friend! xx

Nstiz said...

This is an absolutely gorgeous background, Bonnie and I love how you used it! Your card designs are wonderful! Designing with backgrounds is a challenge for me. You do it brilliantly!

Sandy said...

So beautiful Bonnie and quite elegant. I like the one on the right the best. I saw a video where a girl spread the oxide inks on a plastic sandwich bag, spritzed it with water and then put the bag (ink side down) on her substrate. Then she used her hand to move the ink around. Because she could see the ink below - she moved the colors to her liking. I now have my idea for my art journal - yeah for me!!!! And yeah for you for your two gorgeous cards!
Sandy xx

BożenA said...

The background you made looks amazing. Distress Oxy gives you such great opportunities. When I look at how wonderful the paper covers and how incredibly colors mix, I'm sure someday and I will have to buy them :-)
I love the high contrast between the beautiful, dleikatnym background and a black lace pattern butterfly. Big card, Bonnie!