Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cardinal Peace


I've been using this little guy a lot lately.  We did a card with this image in the October Stamp Stack only he was stamped on Poppy Parade.  Actually, I think the Poppy suits him better but I stamped him on Cherry Cobbler today because that's one of the colors in the SCS Color Challenge.


The other colors are Concord Crush & Old Olive.  Dessert is to put an argyle on the card.  I don't know if you can see it, but some of the panels are embossed with an argyle pattern.

First I inked the branches with SU Markers and stamped on a Naturals White piece.  Then I inked the bird with black,  stamped on the Cherry Cobbler and cut him out.  I used a Prismacolor Pencil to color the beak & feet and a white gel pen to dot the eye.  I stamped a little too far to one side so I inked the leaves and stamped in front of the bird too.  (I feel like I ought to name him instead of calling him "the bird".)

The sentiment is from an old Christmas set called To You & Yours.  It was only available the one year which is a shame.  It's a darling set.  I stamped some more leaves around and over the sentiment.

I'm going to put this in the sketch challenge on SCS too.  The sketch called for the large design area to be an oval and the sentiment to be a circle.  I didn't have an oval cutter that big and so I used the corner rounder punch to round it up a bit.  Keeping the corner thing going, I used my Curly Label Punch for the sentiment.  The Movers & Shapers has a die that cuts the Curly Lable just a bit larger.  Perfect for layering!

Card Recipe
Stamps:  A Cardinal Christmas, To You & Yours
Ink:  Basic Black, SU Markers (Old Olive, Concord Crush)
Paper:  Naturals White, Old Olive
Accessories:  Big Shot, Backgrounds 1 Texturz Plate, Movers & Shapers, Curly Label & Corner Rounder Punches,  Blender Pen, Prismacolor Pencil, Uni Ball Signo Gel Pen

I'm also going to send this over to 2pawsdesigns for her {Made by Me} Wednesday.

I've got a book due at the library tomorrow and I need to go finish it!  It's Plantation by Dorothea Benton Frank.  I can't wait to read the sequel.

Enjoy,
Bonnie

5 comments:

Doris said...

I've always loved this cardinal set! Your card is beautiful.

Emily Keaton said...

This is beautiful, Bonnie!! I love all the white and your touches of concord crush. The perfect accent for this gorgeous cardinal image :)

Chrissie said...

He's certainly a cutie, reminds me of the time we lived in Virginia and had these little guys in our yard all the time!
Wonderful!
Beautiful image!
Chrissie

Sarah Coggins said...

Gorgeous! I love the dimension. That cardinal sure is stunning. :)

Colleen said...

Beautiful card! Love this cardinal and all the layers. Well done!
Hugs,
Colleen