Sunday, January 1, 2017

Bejeweled for CAS Mix Up

Time for another challenge at CAS Mix Up!


This month I am the hostess and this is what I chose

We are defining liquid color as any color medium that comes in liquid form.  
It can be Alcohol inks, Re-inkers, Stains, Paints, Sprays, etc.

I used Distress stains.  I hadn't worked with them before and it was fun to experiment on different papers and with different colors.

For this card, with the stamp in my MISTI, I daubed Picked Raspberry on the flowers and stamped.  I moved the color around a bit with my waterbrush and stamped again.  The stamp was still quite wet so I got another good inking.

I moved the color a bit more with my waterbrush then did some thumping with the Picked Raspberry Distress Marker on the still damp flowers and stamped that.

Then I repeated the process with Peeled Paint Distress Stain on the leaves and stems.  I didn't do any thumping on this part though.

I felt that the flowers needed a little more contrast so I put a drop of white acrylic paint on my palette and diluted it with a bit of water to brush lightly on some of the petals.

I die cut a double stitched circle for an aperture and used embossing paste and a small flourish stencil that Loll had cut with her Silhouette.

My mixed media are Stamping, Distress Stains, Acrylic Paint, Die Cutting, and Embossing Paste with Stencil.

The rest of the Design Team has some outstanding designs to inspire you and we have a very talented Guest Designer too.


There are videos at CAS Mix Up to give you some more ideas.

Hope we see you over at CAS Mix Up!

Also adding to
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge
ANYTHING GOES


Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!




Card Recipe
Stamps:  Bejeweled, Happy Snippets (PB)
Ink:   Distress Stains (Picked Raspberry, Peeled Paint), Distress Markers (Picked Raspberry)
Paper:   Mixed Media (Strathmore)
Other:  Stencil (cut with Silhouette), Embossing Paste (Wendy Vecchi), Double Stitched Circles Dies (LI), Acrylic Paint (Plaid)


31 comments:

Loll said...

WOW ... your distress stain flowers are so vibrant and beautiful Bonnie. Love the design with all the special touches. xx

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous coloring of your flowers and leaves. TFS your details on your colouring technique, Bonnie. TFS your acrylic paint tip too. Will have to try that. I loved how you cropped your flowers with your die cut circle and added your stenciled embossed with paste flourish. Your card is just so beautiful and perfectly balanced...love that! TFS my friend. Hugs, Nancy

Brenda said...

Wow, this is one beautiful card Bonnie! I love the colors and I so love that flower stamp. It sure does catch the eye with the colors you have used! Liquid ink huh? Hummm, will have to see if I can cme up with anything. Hugs, Brenda

Trina P. said...

Those flowers and leaves look amazing. Just like a professional painting. The colours are so nice and vibrant. You did a fabulous job for your first time using Distress Stains.
Thanks again for having me as GD this month.

Jo said...

This is a BEAUTY! The choice of colours with the different intensities are nothing less than amazing. Love the finishing touches of the embossing paste over the window card panel. BRAVO! xx

Nstiz said...

You do a magnificent job with this technique, Bonnie! I've seen Heather T use it but I sure never got beautiful impressions like you just did! This is gorgeous!

Lin said...

This is lovely, Bonnie, as is all your work! Love that little flourish at the bottom, so classy! Thanks for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Susan said...

I've seen Heather T use distress stains to colour her stamps and keep meaning to try it. So glad you reminded me about it with your beautiful card - love the rich jewel colours and the great variation you got in the flower by adding the bit of white acrylic paint. Fabulous layout too with the stitched circle framing it and the small stencil adding interest to the open white space!

Julia Aston said...

what wonderfully vibrant colors on blooms and stems Bonnie - so pretty with the two tones of color on each. Your die cut frames them nicely! I have lots of distress spray stains and you've inspired me to try this out! Julia

Christine Alexander said...

the colours are so vibrant and variegated, love circle framing the flowers.

Susanne Vargas said...

Gorgeous flower card! Great challenge theme! I have missed playing and hope to be able to get crafty this month!

Aileen said...

Absolutely beautiful card Bonnie. Love the colours

Mac Mable said...

Amazing effect you've achieved with the flower stamp. Vibrant and gorgeous x

Betty said...

wonderful card Bonnie - part of my 2017 resolutions is to get more entries done for this challenge!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful. Love the way you colored the flowers. Love everything about your card.

Bobby said...

I saw a video Tim did on Distress Stains and contemplated getting some. They worked beautifully on your card, Bonnie, so vibrant and watercolor-y. I love the added detail of the flourish too.

BożenA said...

Wonderful card! I love drawing the leaves are so beautifully colored ... as painted by nature, not the hand of the artist! This card is unusual.
Happy New Year, my dear Bonnie.
Hugs,
BożenA

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Love that rich raspberry color! What a wonderful card!

TK said...

Gorgeous watercoloring, and the die-cuts showcase everything perfectly!

Darnell said...

This is glorious, Bonnie! A truly fresh and happy card!! Hugs, Darnell

JosieD said...

Such a creative coloring approach -- thanks for the deets of how to. Beautiful card to start off the New Year!

Karen Dunbrook said...

how pretty...one of my fav stamps by far. Love the colour palette you used.
hugs,
karen

Sandy said...

Fantastic!!! Absolutely fantastic! I love this Bonnie - can you tell!!
sandy xx

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Just stunning Bonnie! WOW! Thank you for such beautiful inspiration! Have a lovely day! Hazel xx

Marcia Hill said...

Beautiful, beautiful card Bonnie! I've never played with distress stains before, but will have to check them out...gorgeous color!! :0)

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW beautiful card, so lovely.

Hugs
Anke

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

What a gorgeous effect with the Distress Stains, Bonnie - love this!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Such realistical wonderful flowers. That bejeweled dew drop just makes it.

desperatehousewifecraft said...

So simple yet so striking! I love the effect on the flowers and leaves. I've never tried it before so another technique to try! Thanks!

Sue said...

Gorgeous card, Bonnie! Wonderful stamping and vivid colours. Thank you for a fun challenge x

Susan said...

I can't believe that you got distress stains to be so vivid! Beautiful card!