Saturday, January 28, 2012

Color in Winter

Susan's One Layer Wednesday challenge this week is ....

"Winter's dominant color scheme is gray and white (at least in Ohio), but every now and then, a pop of color reminds us that spring and summer WILL come. I've seen pops of red (cardinals) and blue (blue birds) out my windows this month.

This week's OLW is to make a one-layer card that uses white, gray, with a pop of one bright color of your choice. (If you must, you may use black for the sentiment.)"


Very quick and simple.  I stamped the flourish from the Creative Elements stamp set in Basic Gray.  Colored the "berries" in Real Red with a SU Marker.  Inked the Sympathy from the Loving Thoughts set with a Basic Gray Marker.

That's it and it was done.

I had done this card yesterday for this challenge but then decided that it had more than a pop of color in that Carolina Blue sky.


Actually, it's been so warm here in Carolina that I have a daffodil blooming in my front yard.  And when I went to the library this afternoon, there were several showing their happy faces.

All supplies are Stampin' Up!

Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps: Creative Elements, Loving Thoughts
Ink:  Basic Gray, SU Markers (Real Red, Basic Gray)
Paper:  Whisper White

Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  Lovely as a Tree, Teeny, Tiny Wishes
Ink:  Basic Gray
Paper:  Naturals White
Other:  Stampin' Pastels (Bashful Blue, Night of Navy), Sponge Dauber

I had a wonderful time this afternoon with some of my stamping friends. We had the best time and all made lots of beautiful cards. Now I'm so inspired I probably won't be able to sleep tonight.

I'm so happy you stopped by.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

Jeanne H said...

Love both cards, Bonnie, and enjoyed browsing throught your blog. Thanks for looking at mine!

Cynthia said...

We've got daffodils (and other flowers) blooming here in SC too! It's crazy! Of course, that just means we'll get a foot of snow in March. ;-) Love the cards--especially that Carolina blue sky!

Emily Keaton said...

Bonnie, these sympathy cards are simply stunning. I need more like this in my stash! Lucky you to spy a daffodil in bloom--wow!!

jimlynn said...

Both are fabulous! Love the first one - a perfect sympathy card! And the Lovely as a Tree....stunning with just the right amount of color. I MUST order that stamp!
You sound like me with getting something in my head and not being able to sleep...I've been known to wake up like at 2:00 in the morning and go to my craft room to jot down an idea! LOL!
Glad you had a good day with your friend.
Lynn

Benzi said...

Both are super cards, Bonnie. They're really good for sympathy.

Strange year...I've been seeing the daffodils blooming for about two weeks now. Of course, February is their usual time to shine in my area.

G Peplow said...

Two fabulous cards Bonnie, love both equally, have a great weekend, Gay x

Kim S said...

I love them both but that first flourish done so simply is absolutely captivating!

Carol said...

Love both your cards, Bonnie, but that sympathy card is spectacular!

Vicky Hayes said...

I love them both! It is so effective to use grey with a pop of colour! Enjoy those daffodils - such beautiful flowers!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Both lovley cards and perfect for the occasion

Mynn xx said...

Beautiful cards--even if they're for a sad purpose. They are simply stunning!

Doris said...

Sad that we have to make sympathy cards, but at least yours are beautiful. We've had lots of unseasonably warm weather here in NJ this winter; but I have a feeling Spring will be wet and buggy.