Friday, May 1, 2020

Prim Poppies and Gesso for CAS Mix Up

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

I hope you are well and feeling crafty.


It's time for a new challenge at CAS Mix Up where our 
delightful Linda is hosting this month.

My gesso was kind of thick.  I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way
or if it's thickened with age?   I used a palette knife to apply the 
gesso through a stencil that had been a gift from a sweet friend.

I carefully removed the stencil and set the piece aside to dry while
I washed the stencil.

When the gesso was completely dry, I used a blending brush and some
Peacock Feathers Distress ink over the piece.  The gesso acts as a resist and
the ink rubbed right off the gessoed part but filled in the spaces around perfectly.

I sprayed the gessoed piece with some Shimmering Bliss.
The shimmer is so pretty! Too bad the camera is blind to shimmer.

The poppies were die cut from some Brusho scraps and doubled up
to add some dimension.

My mixed media are Gesso Resist, Stenciling, Die Cutting, Brusho and Stamping.

I know you're going to love what the rest of the Design Team has done as well as
our Guest Designer, Pooja.  If you're unsure how to use gesso, check out the 
tutorials on the challenge site.

I hope you'll check us out and join us at 


Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!


Card Recipe
Stamps:  Happy Snippets (PB)
Ink:   Real Red (SU), Peacock Feathers (DI)
Paper:  Neenah 
Other:  Gesso (Faber Castell), Deco Fan Stencil (CP), Blending Brush, Double Pierced Rect. Die (Avery Elle), Prim Poppy Die (MB), Shimmering Bliss (Technique Junkies), Brusho Snippets


29 comments:

Mac Mable said...

What a stunning effect with the resist of the gesso Bonnie. Striking colour combination and your card sure did make me smile x.

JD/ Jill said...

I like your stenciled background! Very nicely done.
For the record...I am feeling well...Hope you are too.
but not feeling crafty...Not yet anyway...Hope it comes back to me.

Jo said...

Wow such cohesion in this beauty. I adore every detail and love how you unified with that red touch. Your framing, as usual is perfect! xx

Liz said...

Stunning card, Bonnie. I love the beautiful stencilled background. xx

Barb Ghig said...

You did an amazing job with this technique, Bonnie! Your poppies are so pretty and I love your background! Such a striking color palette, too...it's too bad the camera isn't showing off the shimmer...I'll bet it's gorgeous in person! Thanks so much for walking us through your process :) Barb xx

Pat said...

I adore the red of the poppies with the peacock feathers ink Bonnie, and the gesso resist works brilliantly. A brilliant card. x

jimlynn said...

That flower die is one of my favorites and I haven't used it lately! Thanks for reminding me I have it. Love your background. Beautiful!
Lynn

Leslie Miller said...

So gorgeous! I really need to get some gesso. Heck, I just recently bought my first stencil! Beautiful design, Bonnie!

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous stenciled with Gesso background, Bonnie. Gesso comes in several different flavors, thick, thin, black, etc..I loved the thicker look you got for your stencil image and your blending of DI with your make up brushes. Your die cut poppies and stamped sweet smile were the perfect finishing touches. TFS my friend. Stay safe and creative..Love and Hugs..Nancy

Loll said...

LOVE your stenciled background with the gesso resist Bonnie. The blue really pops against the white. And it's so pretty with the red poppy! xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Bonnie what beauty - loving that stenciled background and the contrast of the vibrant poppy.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

My Paper Epiphany said...

Gorgeous! It looks like an iced cake:) Beautiful colour and I love the poppy!

I Card Everyone said...

Another darling Poppy... and gorgeous made-in-Heaven color combo, too, Bonnie! a gorgeous creation!
=]

JosieD said...

This card is striking. Love the combo of colors and how the gesso over stencil background makes those poppies POP.

JoAnn said...

That pretty poppy just pops against the lovely stenciled gesso background. Love the color combo. TFS

Darnell said...

Poppies and red and aqua make a yummy recipe for showcasing your gesso resist background, Bon! This is stunning!! Take care and keep safe! Hugs, Dolly

Susan said...

So pretty - love the combination of the red and the Peacock Feathers! Your gesso worked really well as a resist. I must try this challenge!

Nstiz said...

What an impeccable job you did with gesso and stencil! I've yet to use wet media of any kind through a stencil and get anything this nice looking. Love your choice of colors too. Beautiful card, Bonnie!

Christine Alexander said...

Bonnie, wow great effect with the gesso and love that stencil and yur colour combo :)

Papercraft Boutique said...

Such a beautiful gesso resist fan pattern, Bonnie! The color contrast is wonderful, and I love that you used the stenciled window as a backdrop for the gorgeous red poppies!
A fabulous card, my friend!
Hideko xx

Trina P. said...

Great gesso resist background, Bonnie. The Peacock Feathers di provides wonderful contrast for your beautiful brusho poppies.

Susan Joyce said...

Love your card Bonnie, you got a fantastic coverage with the Gesso and Spatula.

TK said...

Beautiful resist, and your poppy is so inviting! Terrific card, Bonnie!

Linda said...

WOW! This is stunning. Gorgeous colour combination, the pop of red goes so well with the turquoise in the background and can I just say, amazing results with the gesso resist xx

Bobby said...

The contrast in colors really brings your card to life, Bonnie.

BożenA said...

Turquoise in the background contrasts well with the red of poppies. Great CAS card, beautiful inspiration.
BożenA xoxo

Nance said...

Love that gesso'd stencil background. :) The red poppies pop wonderfully on top the blue background. xx

Zoechaos said...

Brilliant result with the gesso and stencil perfectly done not a smudge in sight. Beautiful card. x

Ina G said...

Wow Bonnie your gesso stenciling came out perfectly. Love the coloured background and the beautiful stencil. Certainly makes your pretty poppy pop.