Sunday, February 11, 2018

Candle Glow for Merry Monday

Hi.

I'm coming in just under the wire with my Christmas cards for this week.

Actually they're for last week since today is Sunday.


Here's the first.

Colleen gave us a beautiful inspiration picture this week at
I zeroed in on the candles (I've had this NBUS candle stamp for ages), domed shape (which I turned upside down or right side up ATCMB), the dark background and snowfall.

I would have played with the birds if I'd had time.

I used a card base of Midnight Muse, sponged some Whisper White pigment ink 
around the edges and splattered with White Distress Paint.

I'd stamped the candles on a piece of mixed media paper and watercolored
using Distress Markers swiped on a palette and picked up with a waterbrush.

When I tried to paint the dark background with the glow around the candles,
it was a DISASTER! Ugh!

So I fussy cut the candles, found a background piece of watercolor that
would work, die cut it and a "window frame", and added it to the dark card base.

Not what I intended but kind of what I was hoping for.

The second card was simpler.

I stamped on an already cut out stitched rectangle of mixed media paper,
watercolored it using the same technique and didn't try for the dark background.

Both pieces are backed with foam for dimension.

I'd better hurry and get this in before they shut down.


Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!




Card Recipe
Stamps:  Holiday Candles (Deep Red), Christmas Sentiments (Kaisercraft), Mixed Christmas Sentiments (HLS)
Ink:   Shabby Shutters, Pine Needles, Festive Berries, Barn Door, Mustard Seed, Vintage Photo (DM), Whisper White (SU)
Paper:   Mixed Media (Strathmore), Midnight Muse (SU), Neena
Other:  Anytime Tags (Little Inker), Stitched Rectangles (SSS), White EP (SU)


23 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Great save on the first beautiful card, great splats and loving the framing. Gentle and peaceful second card. Amazing water colouring on both of your cards too Bonnie x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Just love your pair of candle cards, Bonnie! Especially love the sponged & splattered background on card one with the beautiful window!!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

P.S. Forgot to say thanks for playing along with us at Merry Monday!!

Linda said...

Two beautiful cards, Bonnie. Lovely watercoloring. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

Nstiz said...

Thanks for the giggle in your description! Don't think I've ever successfully watercolored a background. Love the way these turned out and I bow to you for fussy cutting that candle! Great save on that. That is a great stamp too!

jimlynn said...

The "disaster" worked out beautifully!!! They're both so lovely and I love the candle images.
Lynn

JosieD said...

A creative save that turned in to a beautiful card and a second version that is also beautiful. Way to go! So smart doing 2 similar ones at a time while you have all the stuff out.

Notes by Nina said...

Both cards are stunning Bonnie, so glad you joined us this week for MM.

Christine Alexander said...

love both cards, the background on your first is stunning. I can't imagine what went wrong but if this is a save OMG it's stunning. the depth of colour for your night sky with snow is so pretty and the candles glowing in the window is perfection.

Marcia Hill said...

A lot of my cards don't turn out like I first envisioned them, but you did a great save on the 1st card and your 2nd card is just as lovely Bonnie! Thanks so much for joining us again this week at Merry Monday!! 😊

JD/ Jill said...

Both cards are so very nicely done! Great job with this challenge. When I figured out something that I could make for this challenge...I ran out of time. (Jill---the very SLOW card maker!)

kiwimeskreations said...

Beautiful cards Bonnie - especially the first one that caused you so much grief - love the water coloured background to the candles. A serendipitous find.
Blessings
Maxine

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Both glowingly beautiful cards.
Faith
x

Nance said...

Two gorgeous cards, Bonnie! I don't know what you intended on the 2nd but it came out beautifully!

MaryH said...

I think both are wonderful. I love how you did the dark blue on #1, it really plays up the candle glow. Awesome w/coloring as always. It's a pretty image too. Love the simpler design on #2, which is equally beautiful. The shade of blue you chose works terrific with the colors in the image. TFS & have a great week.

JoAnn said...

Beautiful cards. You did a great job with the first one, I am glad you were able to save it - a happy accident. The second one is pretty also. Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday.

Loll said...

Two beautiful cards, Bonnie. Your watercoloured candles are gorgeous!! Great job with the no line watercolouring! And I love the deep blue contrast for the background. xx

Kara Lynne said...

So fulfilling to use NBUS! Your candles are beautiful on both cards - there is definitely a warm glow about them that welcomes in Christmastime!

nancy littrell said...

Both your candle Christmas cards are soooo Gorgeous, Bonnie. I love how you sponged the card front on your 1st card...it makes your candles really glow. Beautiful CAS framed design on your 2nd card. TFS my friend. Hugs..

Sandy said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I love this card or should I say these cards.
sandy xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

Both candle cards are gorgeous, Bonnie. I love the sponged & spattered winter sky of your 1st card. I would have never imagined your "disaster". Great save! Hideko xx

Trina P. said...

Two beautiful takes on the inspiration photo. Your watercoloring is gorgeous. The candles seem to glow against the dark background in the first one... love that one.

BożenA said...

WOW! It's like the light that leads us to the goal. Amazing card, beautiful background in the color of the night sky. This is my strong favorite, although the second card is beautiful too. But a lot calmer, and I prefer the drama of the first card :-)
BożenA xoxo