Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Doing Splits

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

I'm doing splits today.

Not that kind of splits.  That would hurt!  These were relatively painless and
so much fun doing them at the retreat.


Nancy shared this technique that she's seen Jennifer McGuire do.  
She'd asked us to bring some completed card fronts
so I pulled some from my UFO box.

This was a technique that I tried last fall when stamping with a friend.

Hers turned out much better than mine.  I didn't like it but wouldn't toss it.

When I saw that we were going to be cutting the piece, I decided
this was my least favorite of all I'd brought so I figured I didn't 
have anything to lose.

I held my breath and cut.

Okay.

Now I had to cut again to leave a space for the stamping.

That's scary!

Everything went back together beautifully and I actually think I
like this card now.

Then.....

Susan got us to play with bleach.

I had this really dark piece of Brusho gone wild and thought
it a likely candidate for the bleach technique.


The technique worked beautifully but the card was too dark for my liking.

I chickened out and didn't get fancy with the cutting this time.
But I have to say, I like the card much better with it split.

Maybe I'll get brave and do some fancier cuts one day.


Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!


Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  Insightful Meadows (Unity)
Ink:   VersaMark, Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper:   Neenah
Other:  White Embossing Powder, Chalk Pastels (SU)

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Dogwood (Technique Junkies)
Ink:  Archival Jet Black 
Paper:   Watercolor (Arches 140 lb. cold press), Neenah, Black
Other:  Brusho Powders, Bleach


15 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

These are lovely, Bonnie! Always wanted to try this style of card but can never seem top find the right image for it! Jo x PS Do drop by at The Christmas Kickstart Challnge.

Viv said...

Fabulous cards Bonnie - inspired idea with the Bleach on the Brusho piece but I simply LOVE your first one!

Mac Mable said...

Both of the cards look fabulous with the splits in them and what fun and great techniques. I enjoyed watching the link to the video, thank you and you have done an amazing job with card number one Bonnie x. Card number two is striking and I love the deep colours, which is unique and so very eye catching x.

JD/ Jill said...

Really like your two cards! Haven't tried this technique yet...but I think your lovely cards have inspired me to give it a try.

Christine Alexander said...

I love both cards Bonnie, it's amazing by just dividing into segments how different the cards look, I can't believe how much colour you pulled out of your brusho background with your dog wood stamp and bleaching. I loved both of those techniques and will be doing them in the future :)

Loll said...

Two beautiful split cards, Bonnie. Isn't it funny how you're not completely happy with something, but adding that split to break up the design somehow makes it so much better! LOVE that! The bleaching turned out really well, especially with the dark saturation from the brushos. xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Bonnie that top card is amazing!! I don't quite know why you didn't like that panel, but then I have not seen what you were trying to achieve, or what it looked like intact, but this is exquisite. Your bleach technique worked stunningly too.
Blessings
Maxine

I Card Everyone said...

What's not to love about this first panel???? SO beautiful! Made even more beautiful with the perfect sentiment, Bonnie!
I've yet to buy Brushos [or anything like it] but your very dramatic, beautiful panel was just the perfect choice for bleaching- which I haven't tried yet either!!!
You do the splits like an Olympic gold medalist of the card world!!! xx
=]

Marcia Hill said...

WOW...and to think you weren't even thrilled with either panel! Kind of like my mistletoe card this week...sometimes you just have to re-think them and they turn out BEAUTIFUL! I'm loving them both Bonnie, but especially the 1st card...absolutely GORGEOUS!! Hugs. :0)

Trina P. said...

Brilliant use of both techniques (love these techniques) to “resurrect” your UFO pieces, Bonnie. Both cards are beautiful. I just bought some bleach and hope to try that technique again. xx

Nstiz said...

These are both beautiful, Bonnie! I do love that technique and it would be perfect for those splotches that show up out of no where! It must be unnerving to cut a card front though. I'm definitely going to have to try this! Love the effect of the sentiment in the opening.

Jo said...

Your first is so fine and delicate, and your second is a WOWzers! A beautiful masterpiece, totally out of the ordinary. Bravo for the flowers too. Both are truly beautiful! xxx

Papercraft Boutique said...

Both cards are so beautiful, Bonnie! The splits make the design look very interesting. I’d love to try this technique sometime soon.
I especially love the dark Brusho background with the breached dogwood flowers. It’s very dramatic and a hint of pink in the flowers is just so pretty.
Hideko xx

BożenA said...

Such a romantic card, Bonnie. Your meadow is beautiful, I love the colors of flowers that go up, merging with the color of the sky. And I have a dilemma which card is more beautiful, because the second card also knocked me down with its amazing beauty. The bleach worked so well and the flowers are beautiful. The division of the card and sentiment are perfect. WOW!
Hugs,
BozenA

Sandy said...

Love this idea!
Sandy xx