Friday, October 28, 2022

Happy Birthday Lovely Lady

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

Today is a special friend's birthday and she is a very lovely lady!


This started as an experiment and honestly at first I thought it was an experiment gone bad!

I'm trying not to be rash and just trash things that I'm not happy with and instead challenge
myself to find a fix.  This time my watercolor pencils came to the rescue.

I'm glad I didn't throw it away!

The experiment was to cover a piece of Yupo with gesso.  It gave the Yupo a lot of "tooth"
and texture.  Then I put this NBUS stamp in my MISTI and inked it up with Distress Markers.

The gesso took the ink pretty well but it was pretty blah looking.
(I should have taken a picture of it then but I was still in a throw it out mood.)

Like I said before, watercolor pencils came to the rescue to add dimension to
the illustration.

This same dear friend made me a card one time with the corner torn and I loved
the look so I thought I'd tear a corner of the design.  You CAN'T tear Yupo!
So the deckle edged scissors that I have kept forever came to the rescue.

I hope she doesn't mind that the script stamping is at a slant.  It wasn't intentional.
I still can't seem to do things in a straight line.  Actually it looks like the sentiment is slightly 
off kilter.  She'll know it's from her slightly skewed friend.


Challenges:
NBUS #43 - Never Before Used Schuff (stamp)


Card Recipe
Stamps:  Garden Variety & Carefree Wishes (PB), French Script (Darkroom Door),
Ink:   Ripe Persimmon, Spiced Marmalade, Rusty Hinge, Bundled Sage, Antique Linen, Brushed Corduroy (DI), Versafine Onyx Black
Paper:   Yupo, Pale Papaya (SU)
Other:  Gesso, Caran d'ache Supracolor Pencils (English Red, Olive Black, Brown), Decorative Scissors (can't tear Yupo)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

27 comments:

Lia said...

Your experiment has become a beutiful result. I like it very much!
Lia xx

Carole said...

Well Bonnie I think this is absolutely lovely...your rescue from what was, is beautiful. I like the torn corner effect too. I bet your friend loved it. x

I Card Everyone said...

You 'technique wizards' always think of the most wonderful things to try, Bonnie! I'm glad you didn't throw it away, too! Doubly glad you shared it with us before sending it on its way to that lovely lady!
=]

Brenda said...

I'm glad you didn't throw this card out either Bonnie! It is gorgeous! What a unique look you got with the paint and yupo paper. I love the image you used and your watercolor pencils gave depth to this image. So gorgeous! Ha, ha...I've heard you can't tear yupo paper, love your cool scissors....looks like a controlled tear! Gorgeous birthday card and I think it is perfect with a little slant! Hugs, Brenda

Bobby said...

We've discussed upward slants before, Bonnie, and I guess we're just destined to make things that way. ;) I'm glad you found a way to rescue your stamping because what you ended up with is a fabulous card.

HilaryJane said...

This card has a wonderful soft look that is really effective. What a good idea to try gesso on yupo paper, I am glad you didn't ditch it as it really looks quite special now. I am glad I am not the only one that struggles to get things straight. I usually go wrong when I am sticking my panel to the card base. The harder I try to do it accurately, the more it is to be crooked! Love the cut oof corner too with the soft colour poking through xx

Marcia Hill said...

Had a good chuckle at your torn yupo corner Bonnie, but your deckle scissors filled in quite nicely! The card came out beautiful too...so glad you didn't throw it away!! Sometimes I have to just back away from a project and come back later, and then it usually comes together! (Although a few there are just NO FIXING!!) But anyway, your card is absolutely lovely and I'm sure your friend loved it!! Have a great weekend!! Hugs. :0)

jimlynn said...

I like the deckled edge you did. A beautiful card and glad you were able to save it with the watercolor pencils. It's so pretty.
Lynn

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A gorgeous card, I wouldn't care if the sentiment was a little off, I'd just see the overall card, which is beautiful.
Faith x

JoAnn said...

This is gorgeous. I am glad you didn't throw it away. The colors are beautiful. You inspire me with all the great techniques you try. TFS

Cat Craig said...

so glad you kept at it. This is one fabulous card.

nancy littrell said...

Oh my, Bonnie...such a beautiful Save of your sweet pretty flowers for your special friends birthday card:-) I love the texture you achieved to your Yupo paper by adding a layer of Gesso...so clever! Aren't we all a bit skewed at times:-) TFS your beauty, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

What a beauty, Bonnie - the flowers look amazing with the texty background and I love the deckle cut in the corner!!

Loll said...

Your experiment was a great success Bonnie! Love the gesso over Yupo with the script in the background. Your flowers are so pretty. Love your stamping and pencil work to bring them to life. Your lovely friend is going to LOVE this. Love, Loll

Liz said...

This turned out beautifully Bonnie. Such a pretty design. xx

Pat said...

It certainly doesn't matter about the slightly slanting background script and sentiment, and you saved the day with your watercolour pencils to define this wonderful image Bonnie, and the deckle scissors worked a treat to make the look of a torn corner...also great use of the gesso over the yupo paper which I would never have thought to do. Your friend will adore this beautiful card. x

Lisa Elton said...

I think your lovely friend will appreciate her lovely card! So glad you stuck it out!

Christine Alexander said...

The gesso gave it such a beautiful texture, your friend will love the card ♥

kiwimeskreations said...

Well Bonnie, I am so glad you continued with this gorgeous card and resurrected it, as it were. What a beautiful result.
Blessings
Maxine

Leslie Miller said...

It sure doesn't look blah now! I love the sketchy look from stamping on the gesso, and it must have a nice feel to it. Beautiful colors. The script looks like it's supposed to be slanted. Sometimes I feel like I'm a bit skewed too.

Nstiz said...

WOW! This is FABULOUS, Bonnie! Not only is your coloring impeccable but the texture from the gesso looks beautiful- almost like it was embossed. This is really outstanding!

Sandy said...

Your card has such a nostalgic look to it - it reminded me of something my aunt (who was a very Southern lady - always wore gloves and a hat and carried with her a calling card) anyway, your creation reminded me of a card she would have sent in the early 50's.
Beautifully done Bonnie as is all of your creations.
Sandy xx

Trina P. said...

Hard to believe this was almost a throw away! Your watercolouring is gorgeous. Is the script background really slanted? It looks straight to me. You made me laugh with your comment on tearing yupo! 😂

Sue - said...

So glad you were able to rescue this card, because it really is pretty. You’re not the only one who can’t stamp straight, I can’t glue layers straight either! Thank you for sharing again at NBUS.

TK said...

I think your card is not only gorgeous, but a fantastic save! I can't imagine where it was before, because it just looks amazing, Bonnie. As for the slant in the script, it matches the natural slant of the flower and looks spot on -- I'm sure your friend agrees, it's a keeper!

Helen said...

Beautiful card - love the texture on the stamping!
Thanks for playing at the Penny Black Saturday Challenge!
Helen x

BożenA said...

You're a really creative artist, Bonnie. I have a lot of pieces that I haven't thrown away, but I have no idea for them. You can brilliantly solve a problem to turn a dull piece into a masterpiece. Your friend must have been delighted with the card!!
xx