Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Outline Stenciling for CAS Mix Up

Hello friends.  I'm glad you stopped by!

We have a new challenge at CAS Mix Up.


This month we are using stencils.
Nancy is hosting this month and she chose...


I used this Penny Black stencil and masked off the stems and leaves with tape,
spritzed with water and sprinkled Color Burst Powders.  I spritzed again and in a few seconds
used a paper towel to blot it, then removed the stencil and let it dry.

After it dried, I replaced the clean, dry stencil and taped over the flowers so I could
repeat the process with Olive Green Brusho for the stems and leaves.

Once completely dry, I laid the stencil over top and outlined the
flowers and leaves with an Ultra Fine Black Sharpie.

Some of it was pretty messy looking.  So I cut it off and punched the top of what
was left thinking it would make a lovely bookmark.

But it needed another flower.  You know that rule of three thing?

Soooo...

I laid the stencil over top and outlined the tallest flower with
an Ultra Fine Black Sharpie.

After I was sure the ink was dry, I sprinkled the Powders on my palette
and picked up the color with my waterbrush to color in that flower. 

When the recipient removes the bookmark, this is what they'll find.


 I outlined the stencil with the Sharpie on the front of the actual card,
and picked up watercolor with my waterbrush to color it and add splatters.

The Design Team has some awesome inspiration for you and we're
so fortunate to have three amazing Guest Designers this month.
All three are winners from May's CAS Challenges.
(CAS Mix Up, CAS Stencil, and CAS Watercolour)
Greta (GG Creations)

I hope you'll pull out some stencils and join us at


Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!


Card Recipe
Stamps:  Handwritten Notes - bookmark (PTI), Sending You Phrases -card (Creek Bank Creations)
Ink:   Shaded Spruce - bookmark (SU), Versafine Onyx Black - card
Paper:   Watercolor (Arches Cold Press
Other:  Flower Dance Stencil (PB), Tag Punch, Corner Rounder Punch (ret. SU), Brusho (Olive Green), Ken Oliver Color Bursts (Lemon Drop, Razzleberry - for MFT) Black Twine (FSJ)


31 comments:

Viv said...

A very special bookmark Bonnie with it's surprise underneath! Gorgeous. x

HilaryJane said...

Very clever, not sure how you managed to stop the colour from seeping under the stencil particularly on the stems and leaves. It tuned out perfectly and the outline just add a tiny bit of definition. Love those splatters on the card base too xx

Nstiz said...

What a delightful image and I do love how the sentiment is contoured to match the stem of the flower. The tie with the beads is a fabulous final touch adding interest to the card. This is very well done!

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful Bonnie, what a great layout with the book mark and the card. your outlining of the stencil is superb and I admire your patience waiting for the colours to dry :)

Leslie Miller said...

Beautiful! A stencil? Wow! I LOVE it!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Fabulous use of that stencil, Bonnie!! Thanks for describing the process - sounds like a lot of fun and I love the bookmark with surprise beneath!!

My Paper Epiphany said...

I love the yummy effect of the colour burst and the the outline adds so much definition!

Mac Mable said...

Now that is clever Bonnie and so very special. The recipient is in for a treat x. Such a beautiful and artsy bookmark card x.

Jo said...

Sooooo COOL! What a genius idea. I do love the loose brushos with the outlining to bring the blooms forward. Superb.

Pat said...

What a great idea to make a card and a bookmark Bonnie, such a pretty gift, and the stencilled poppies using brushos has worked beautifully, and lovely emphasis of the outline using the black fineline pen. x

I Card Everyone said...

An ingenious BEautiful way to gift a bookmark, Bonnie!
OH my goodness this is another fun way to use those [un-used in my case] stencils! Very artsy, very cool!
=]

Brenda said...

I love this card/bookmark combo Bonnie! It looks amazing and I am really loving the outlining of the stencil. Gives a whole different look to me. Fun! Hugs, Brenda

Susan Joyce said...

Wonderful bookmark Bonnie, love the bright brusho colours and the images outlined in black.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Both are Fabulous and beautiful Bonnie.
Take care
Faith x

Brenda in IN said...

I would want to read just to use the bookmark. The three flowers are beautiful and it's amazing how much they jump out at you with the outline.

nancy littrell said...

Wow...Beautiful and Clever bookmark card, Bonnie. I love how you added the single poppy on the card front so the recipient will have a beautiful card when removing the bookmark...I would Love to try your technique. Your Color Burst colors turned out beautifully. So appreciate all your details. TFS and always inspiring me, my friend. Stay safe and Creative. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Loll said...

WOW! Gorgeous card / bookmark Bonnie. It's a two-in-one treat! I love the bright, beautiful colours of your watercoloured flowers. The black twine and beads adds something special. xx

Barb Ghig said...

I'm so impressed ~ Your poppies are absolutely GORGEOUS, Bonnie! I love how you designed this card, including the bookmark, which was a genius idea and your surprise single poppy when removed! Thanks so much for inspiring me today :) Barb xx

TK said...

Beautiful card and bookmark, and such a FUN surprise underneath! Terrific idea, Bonnie

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Bonnie this is simply amazing - what a great way to use the pigment powders with the stencil, and the end result is dreamy!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

sandie said...

This is amazing Bonnie-love the arty look to it and love that you have made the bookmark and the way the sentiment curls around the stem. Thanks for having me a GD x

Sandy said...

Wonderful! I do like that you give us the recipe for how you made the card. I need all the help I can get!
Sandy xx

Greta said...

So clever & beautiful, Bonnie!

Trina P. said...

A lovely card and bookmark in one! Great multi-step stencilling work. The fun surprise will surely put a smile on the lucky recipient’s face..

Ros Crawford said...

What a lovely gift this will make and so beautiful too!

Zoechaos said...

I love your cards, especially the first one and had to come and tell you. x

Papercraft Boutique said...

What a lovely bookmark card, Bonnie! I love it! The recipient will have a nice (second) surprise when they removes the bookmark! The Brushos and Color Bursts colors are so vibrant and pretty. The black outline adds so much definition. You did a fantastic job of aligning the sentiments with the stem of the flower!
Hideko xx

Kia's Place said...

These are fabulous and ever so pretty Bonnie. The outline in the black really helps the flowers to pop.

Julia Aston said...

Great job with this fun challenge Bonnie! Your bright brusho flowers and leaves are beautiful and how fun to find a surprise stem when the book mark is removed!

BożenA said...

Great design for stencil. I admire how the color stays within the stencil, and does not hollow along the plastic. You could keep the color in check, which I never succeed. Contouring the contour with a black pen makes the image focus. Great design, Bonnie xx

Susan said...

Such a clever idea to have the detachable bookmark over top of a co-ordinating image! Great job with the brushos and the stencil tracing.