Saturday, January 28, 2023

Creative Heat Embossed Backgrounds

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

I'm excited to announce the beginning of a new blog!

It's an Advice Blog about favorite techniques and products for cardmakers from
seven wonderful friend.  For the past couple of years, each month our group has had
a Zoom call to try out new techniques (or revisit older techniques), as well as discuss art products.  
It's been a lot of fun!  We continue to meet and want to share some of our 
creations and findings with you.  We'll be posting our shares on the 28th of each month.



My first share is a CASE of our friend Jenny's card that inspired this technique.

You can find detailed instructions on the Group of Seven Cardmakers blog.

I used wadded up plastic wrap dipped in VersaMark ink and pounced on a piece of
black cardstock.  Both of my embossing powders have lots of sparkle and the snowflake
is cut from glitter paper.

I found the inking a bit too heavy for what I wanted so I tried something different.


This time I used white cardstock and tried splattering water then embossing.

Who would think that you could heat emboss with water?
It totally works!

The big splotch was where I splattered with a Tim Holt splatter brush.
It was a little heavy so I tried just flicking water off an acrylic block and sprinkling
with embossing powder to heat set.  That got the look I wanted.

I die cut this beautiful flower from watercolor paper and used the matching
3D Embossing Folder to add detail before I watercolored it and added it to the 
embossed background.  The gold highlights were added to the flower with a gold
Gelli Pen.

I hope you'll check out Group of Seven Cardmakers and check out this
technique and the others on the sidebar. 
I'm sure you'll be inspired.

Challenges:
NBUS #46 - Never Before Used Schtuff (flower die)


Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  
Ink:   VersaMark
Paper:  Black, Neenah Solar White, Dazzling Diamond Glimmer
Other:  Plastic Wrap, Something Borrowed EP (WOW), Gold Tinsel EP (Ranger), Stunning Snowflake Die (TH), Holiday Sentiments 2 Glimmer Plate (Spl)

Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  Perfect Pairs Essentials (PTI)
Ink:   Encore Gold, Lumberjack Plaid, Barn Door, Peeled Paint, Rustic Wilderness (DI)
Paper:   Watercolor (Arches Cold Press), Neenah Solar White
Other: Alstroemeria Bunch (EF & Die), Water, Gold EP, Perfect Pairs Essentials Die (PTI), Gold Gelli Pen, Caran d'ache Supracolor Pencil (Dk Carmine)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

33 comments:

Sandy said...

This is exciting news Bonnie -- I never tire of watching you create! Love both of your cards and I must admit I am particularly fond to the first card. Every one needs a little drama in their life!
Sandy xx


Darnell said...

I love that you have shown two different styles for this technique, Bon. Your CASE of Jenny's card is perfection! But I do lean more towards the CAS style so your bold bloom with the gold splotched background is my favorite. I will have to try that schplatter with water tip ~ thank you! Love, Dolly

I Card Everyone said...

What a fantastic time you must have together each month! The examples here are indicative of it, Bonnie - both lovely, but I like the gold on white best. May because of the pretty die-cut flower? I have enough snow outside my window!
=]

Leslie Miller said...

Wowie, both are gorgeous, from your wintry snowflake card, to the flower with the lighter bit of splattering. The flower is amazing and so pretty with the white and gold. I'm feeling the same as you about the white open spaces. I would never imagine using water splatters. Very cool!

Loll said...

Two amazing cards using this technique, Bonnie! LOVE your first card ... the metallics on black card add such contrast. Your snowflake really pops. The background for the flower is so pretty in your second card. Great idea to splatter water for adding embossing powder. The look if very artsy and a wonderful pairing with your gorgeous flower. xx

Julia Aston said...

Two beautiful backgrounds using slightly different methods - both are beautiful Bonnie! Never would have thought you could emboss with water! Julia xx

Christine Alexander said...

two gorgeous cards Bonnie, Your snowflake is so striking with the gold and blue embossing and your splatter background is so elegant with that stunning flower ♥

Nstiz said...

2 gorgeous cards, Bonnie! I'm always in awe of your beautiful painting on the embossed die cut and love the winter feel of the sparkly snowflake. Thank you for introducing us to a new and novel technique!

JoAnn said...

Wow, 2 beautiful cards with these amazing techniques. Love the background with the wadded up plastic wrap. You are right, who would have thought you could emboss with water, will definitely have to try it. That flower is gorgeous with the added gold detail. Thanks for sharing these and congrats on the new blog, will check it out.

jimlynn said...

Love that background technique and your cards are so beautiful! LOVE!
Lynn

Patricia said...

Wow to both of these cards! The black background is stunning with the white of the snowflake! And that red bloom with the gold embossing is so elegant! You must have been having a lot of fun.

Susan said...

Two beautiful cards, Bonnie! That gorgeous white snowflake looks fabulous against your background - great choice of embossing powder colours to contrast with the black. The second card is amazing - I can't believe you just used water for that one so I'm going to be trying it out to see if it works for me!!

Robyn Oliver said...

Oh WOW Bonnie, looove the flower card is beautiful, with just a hint of splatter (water) background - elegant... snowflakes is great too, Robyn

kiwimeskreations said...

these are two amazing cards Bonnie - the second one where you have embossed using water is absolutely gorgeous - the gold embossing is so 'arty'!
Blessings
Maxine

Carole said...

Great technique...thank you for sharing. I love the second card ...seems everyone does! the gold splotches are super with your beautiful flower. The snowflake on the first one is a stunner, bet it really sparkles in the flesh.

Pat said...

Two beautiful and totally different looks using this fab technique Bonnie and so dramatic on the black card and with that gorgeous snowflake, and then the beautifully coloured flower is so prettily enhanced with the gold splats, and its great the way the embossing powder sticks to the water drops. x

Brenda in IN said...

The snowflake card is just beautiful with the twinkly background and sparkly snowflake. Using a block is a great idea and made pretty splatters on your card. Love the bold flower you added.

Brenda said...

Your little group sounds like fun Bonnie! It will be nice to have these techniques in one place to reference because I see them and then forget how to do them. And hunting up a post using them isn't fun and most of the time I don't remember where the heck I saw something done. Both of your cards are so unique and beautiful! It blows my mind that you can emboss with water! That snowflake card is just stunning on the black embossed paper. A totally different look dabbing on the embossing ink. I love, love, love the flower one. So cool seeing "splatters" of embossing! That flower is just stunning! Off to check out the new blog. Hugs, Brenda

Bobby said...

I am so excited for this new blog, Bonnie. You all have such great ideas for techniques to try and now I know where I can find them when I have time to try them. I did know about embossing with water and in fact saw a video the other day doing it but I can't remember who. It does leave wonderful little pops of shine although the larger sections with the plastic wrap adds a lot of drama.

HilaryJane said...

Great cards, I am going to have to give that technique a go. I even think I have the same snowflake die. I have tried the water splatter and heat embossing technique before so I know it works well and best of all, if you get it where you don't want it you can just wipe it away. It has worked a treat on this card xx

TK said...

Both are wonderful cards from a new technique! As for embossing with water, NEVER would've guessed!

Maria said...

Two gorgeous cards with the embossing! Fab snowflake card! And, love the flower card with all the gold! How wonderful to have a blog where you can reference all the techniques!

Lisa Elton said...

I'll bet you girls have oodles of fun on those zooms! Your cards are fantastic, Bonnie! Love that pretty pop of red with all of the fancy gold!

Vicky Hayes said...

Lots of exciting news here Bonnie and lots of crafty inspirations too but my biggest excitement was your discovery that you can EMBOSS WITH WATER!!! Vicky x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Both are so gorgeous Bonnie, really lovely effect with the embossing. What a wonderful technique to try. AND water too? Love simple things like that. Thank you for the tips.
Faith x

Cat Craig said...

Beautiful backgrounds make beautiful cards!

Birgit said...

Hi Bonnie, Both of your cards are beautiful! The gold embossing on the black background, with the white snowflake is so striking. The second card is equally amazing and who knew you could heat emboss with water. I love the splattered look! The details on the red flower are stunning as well. Both cards are so inspiring. I'm looking forward to more inspiration from your creative group.

Marcia Hill said...

Two awesome cards Bonnie! I love the idea of using splattered water to emboss with...who knew?!!! Will definitely have to try that! Hugs. :0)

Trina P. said...

Wonderful cards. Interesting technique with cool artistic results.

Kate said...

I adore your background Bonnie! I didn't know you could emboss with water - must try it! Hugs, Kate!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Two awesome cards using this technique, Bonnie! Love that you used two different ways of random heat-embossing! The random cling wrap embossing on black looks gorgeous, and the sparkle is so pretty! The splattered embossing is so interesting, especially when I found out it was done with water! The shiny gold compliments the beautiful red flower and green leaves! I'm already looking forward to what you'll create for 2/28!
Hideko xx

Sue - said...

Amazing being able to use water with embossing powder! It’s made a fantastic background for the fabulous red flower!

BożenA said...

Both cards have their own unique flavor. In the first card I really like the embossed background, I don't think it's too heavy. It looks like a beautiful velvet. In the second card, your splatters look perfect for this beautiful embossed flower.
xx