Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vintage Season's Greetings

I know it's Thursday, but this is for Simplicity's One Layer Wednesday Challenge. I did one like this yesterday and learned a lesson. You can't paint the rhinestones with markers. Well, you can, but the color rubs off on the card! I wish Stampin' Up! had Cherry Cobbler rhinestones or pearls.

One layer cards are a challenge because they can look so flat and plain. It's amazing though, what some lines or scoring can do to finish off the cards. Susan, aka lateblossom of Simplicity fame, often adds good advice to help with making a one layer card look as elegant and finished as a layered card. She has really inspired me and I have learned a lot from her through her blog.

This week's challenge was to use a border stamp. I used the border stamp from the Vintage Vogue set. It wasn't hard to get it straight since I have the clear mount set. I don't know about you, but I love being able to see where I'm stamping! Of course you do have to position the label straight. There's the challenge there! Anyway, I inked the stamp with markers and stamped it along the side.

After stamping the sentiment, I used a ruler and, holding my breath, drew lines around the sentiment to give it some dimension so it wouldn't look like it was just plopped down.

Instead of the colored rhinestones, I used some gold gems to dress up a couple of corners.

Card Recipe:
Stamps: Vintage Vogue, Many Merry Messages
Ink: Cherry Cobbler
Paper: Naturals White
Acc.: Cherry Cobbler & Old Olive SU Markers, Ruler, Gold Gems

It was quick and easy. It's a good thing since I had to make two. Remember the first one smeared.

Now go on over to Simplicity to see lots of other One Layer cards. There's lots of inspiration there.

Hope you found some inspiration here too.
Bonnie

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oooo very pretty. Lovely colours and I really like that stamp!

Dwita said...

So pretty border, Bonnie. You did very well with the colors on that stamp. Btw, the ink on my 1-9 cards was not perfectly stamped... LOL. Thanks for stopping by.

Susan said...

The lines around the sentiment give it a bit of dimension to me. I love how you colored your stamp. What kind of markers do you use for coloring?

Donelda said...

so sweet!!!

G Peplow said...

Hi there, this card is so pretty and accurate, love the placing it's perfect:D xx