Friday, February 1, 2019

Shaped Poppies for CAS Mix Up

Hello friends.

We have a new challenge at CAS Mix Up.



Here's the challenge our talented hostess, Hideko, chose.


I love playing with die cuts!

I've chosen to watercolor these beautiful die cut poppies.
The die was sent to me by a sweet friend and I love all the detail on it.

I put a drop of liquid watercolor in the well of my palette and added a drop or two
of water from my waterbrush.  Then using the wet on wet technique (to keep
the colors from being too dark), I dabbed color onto the flowers.  First I used the
pink building color as needed.  Then I added a bit of red to the base of the flowers and buds.

I also cut and watercolored an extra lower bloom so I could add
even more dimension.

When the flowers were dry, I colored the stems with a Zig and waterbrush.

I stamped the sentiment on a snippet of watercolor paper and heat embossed it,
then watercolored it with the pink and red.

A strip of dry embossing gave the flowers a bit of background texture.

Then I shaped the flowers, adding the second layer to the bottom one and
added them and the sentiment strip to the card front with dimensionals.

Here's a side view so you see the dimension better.

My mixed media are Shaped Die Cuts, Watercolor, Stamping, Heat Embossing, 
and Dry Embossing

There are videos on the challenge site and lots of inspiration from
our Design Team and Guest Designer, Arlene.

Hope to see your dimensional die cuts in the gallery at
CAS Mix Up!

Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Banner Sentiments (PB)
Ink:   Whisper White (SU)
Paper:   Neenah, Watercolor (Strathmore 140 lb. cold press)
Other:  Bodacious Die (PB), Embossing Folder (Cuttlebug), Pinkfresh Liquid Watercolor (Bubble Gum, Candy Apple), Zig CCRBM (#43 Olive Green), White EP (SU)


20 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Such a pretty card with fabulous water colouring and what beautiful dimensional die cut flowers. Such an elegant and wonderful card and so very pretty x.

Julia Aston said...

Your red poppies look so pretty against your white background Bonnie - love the strip of embossing behind them and the simple sentiment along the bottom!

Nstiz said...

That really is a beautiful die cut and I love the way you chose to add your dimension. You always do such a superb job of watercoloring too. Wonderful texture in that background I have that embossing folder and I'm sure it's never been used so thanks for the inspiration.

Liz said...

Your card is just beautiful, Bonnie. I love the poppies and the embossing add a lovely texture to the background. xx

JoAnn said...

This is gorgeous. Love your pretty water colored flower and the embossing in the background. TFS

Carole said...

Stunning poppies Bonnie and I like the zigzag embossing behind them too. xx

Linda said...

Your watercolored flowers are so pretty. Lovely birthday card.

Christine Alexander said...

beautiful shading on your flower Bonnie, and love that embossed background so subtle :)

Cathy said...

Such a pretty card Bonnie, love the depth of colour in the flowers and the touch of dry embossing adds lots of gorgeous texture, pity I can't feel it through the screen lol! Cathy x

Papercraft Boutique said...

Your exquisitely watercolored flowers caught my eye immediately, Bonnie! The way you built colors makes gorgeous shades and I'm so glad that you showed the side view of the bottom flower so that we could see the second layer of the flower. The strip of dry embossing adds so much interest without distracting!
Hideko xx

Loll said...

Your layered and watercoloured poppies are so beautiful Bonnie. Lots of depth and dimension! Adding the partial dry embossed background adds lots of texture and a beautiful white-on-white design to show off the flowers. Amazing card, my friend! xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Wow - what a gorgeous card and wonderful layering of and dimension in your die cuts Bonnie
Blessings
Maxine

JosieD said...

Love the overall design and coloring of this wonderful die. Like the partial embossed strip for background and the dimension from the second cut of the bottom blossom and particularly the colored sentiment strip which stands out so nicely. And pink is just always cheerful -- helps to chase winter blues.

Trina P. said...

Beautiful and bursting with dimension, Bonnie. Your watercolouring is gorgeous as always. The dry embossed background is a nice touch. xx

Bobby said...

You've added great dimension to your lovely watercolored poppies, Bonnie. The embossing strip is a wonderful final touch.

BożenA said...

Wow! I love the contrast of colors and the way of coloring these flowers. A great card, Bonnie!
BozenA xx

Jo said...

This is such a lovely feathery effect, just like the delicacy of flower petals. That red is perfect and soft. The sentiment strip really adds and brings out the dry embossing above. Such a pretty refreshing card dear Bonnie xx

Brenda said...

Such a beautiful card Bonnie! I love the chevron embossing on the background, and your watercolored die cut is so pretty. What a beautiful birthday card this makes! Hugs, Brenda

Maria said...

Super gorgeous card with the lovely colored poppies! Love the heart embossed panel, too!

BożenA said...

OOOO! This is a great project, Bonnie. I love how you painted these flowers, great work with watercolors. The addition of stamping in the background makes the card extremely easy. I love this brilliant project.
xoxo