Thursday, September 1, 2022

Fading Flowers Gesso for CAS Mix Up

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

It's time for a new challenge at CAS Mix Up.


This month we're doing mixed media and Hilary is hosting the challenge.
She chose....


There are so many ways to use gesso and Hilary has found some fantastic
videos to help us with those techniques.  You can check them out at the challenge site.

I chose to do Gesso Resist using Eileen Godwin's video tutorial.

I used a NBUS stencil that a dear friend sent me for my birthday.
Thank you again, sweet friend.
It's a large stencil so I used a portion of it.

After sponging the gesso through the stencil, I let it dry, then lightly
inked over the whole piece with Distress Ink.

I had tried this technique before and didn't have much success.  This time I paid
closer attention and saw that Eileen used a damp wipe to clean the ink off the gesso.
It made a BIG difference!

I've die cut this sweet bird and watercolored him before placing him
on a branch overseeing the flowers then stamped a sentiment.

It will be perfect to send to one of my birdwatching friends.

I hope you'll check out what our Guest Designer Sue (Cards by Q) and
the rest of the Design Team has done.  I guarantee it's worth the trip!

Now it's your turn.
I hope you'll pull out the gesso and use one of the many techniques on a card.
Then come and share it with us at CAS Mix Up.

Since the stencil is new, I'll take this to Darnell's NBUS challenge.

Challenges:
CAS Mix Up - Stencil with Gesso
NBUS #42 - Never Before Used Schtuff (stencil)


Card Recipe
Stamps:  Bouquet of Thanks (SSS)
Ink:   Versafine Onyx Black, Saltwater Taffy, Speckled Egg, Squeezed Lemonade (DI - for ink blending the background), Tattered Rose, Pumice Shtone, Black Soot (DI - for watercolor on bird)
Paper:   Neenah Solar White, Watercolor (Arches Cold Press)
Other:  Fading Florals Stencil (SSS), Gesso, Layered Chickadee Die (SSS), Woodland Branch Die (MB)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

34 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

I call this little friend the 'swingset' bird - his call sounds just like a rusty swing set chain from my childhood! Can you hear it?
Absolutely adorable, Bonnie! That gesso-ed background is so beautiful! I think I have a tube of it somewhere! lol
=]

JoAnn said...

Beautiful!!! Love our blended background and the stencil you used with the gesso is so pretty. That little chickadee is colored perfectly and looks great perched over the lovely background.

Viv said...

Fabulous card Bonnie! x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Sweet scene with birdie on the branch and the gesso'd flowers, Bonnie! THanks for the inspiration!!

Cat Craig said...

Oh this is lovely. Wonderful design choices and the color blending is fabulous. Such a lovely lovely card. In my top 5 faves of yours.

Leslie Miller said...

Awww, pretty bird with a soft, lovely background and sweet stenciled flowers. Gesso resist sounds like a good technique. Now if only I had some gesso...

Lisa Elton said...

I love that sweet chickadee front and center on your wonderful background! Beautiful card, Bonnie!

Nstiz said...

I love your soft pastel background behind this charming little guy! Beautiful coloring on your die cut too, something I find challenging. Great work using the gesso resist technique and thanks for the link to Eileen's video.

Barb Ghig said...

Oh my gosh, what a GORGEOUS background, Bonnie! Gesso was the perfect medium for this stencil and I love your bird...so sweet! xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh my goodness what a soft and beautiful card Bonnie - this is such a delight
Blessings
Maxine

HilaryJane said...

This is so wonderful, your background looks fab with that stencil and adding the bird just makes it even more special. I love it xx

Marcia Hill said...

What a beautiful card Bonnie! It makes me think Spring with the soft colors and cherry blossoms! Thanks for the link to the video too...just watched and I'm intrigued enough to try using my gesso once again!! Lovely, lovely card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Sandy said...

Your background is gorgeous! And that little Chickadee - what can I say!?! He is so sweet, and you have done a perfect job coloring him. I love this card Bonnie!!!
Sandy xx

Bobby said...

What a beautiful soft background you created to show off the darling bird, Bonnie, I LOVE this card!!!

Pat said...

I love the sweet little coal tit on his branch and the beautiful gessoed flowers and soft background colouring are just perfect Bonnie...a beautiful card. x

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous Gesso emboss resist stenciled flowers using Eileen's Video for tips and inspiration. I used the same video, which was so helpful. Your card turned out as beautifully as Eileen's:-) I also ordered and received the SSS Chickadee Die recently after seeing your cards using the cute little bird. One of our favorites..and I already have the die branch...I see a CASE coming on, my friend. TFS and always inspiring me:-) Love and Hugs...Nancy

Liz said...

Such a pretty card Bonnie, a lovely design. xx

Darnell said...

Beautiful texture, Bonnie, and I love the soft pastel colors that resulted from the damp wiping. You've created a wonderland for that sweet bird to enjoy! Thank you for inspiring everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Papercraft Boutique said...

The soft ink-blended background with gesso stenciled flowers is so beautiful, Bonnie! The little Chickadee is darling, and your bird watching friend will love the card!
Hideko xx

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful Bonnie, love the soft pastel colours with the bird in black grey and white.

Cathy said...

Such a sweet bird Bonnie and the background is drop dead gorgeous! Must check out the video, Cathy x

Brenda in IN said...

Oh. those soft colors are gorgeous. The watercoloring is so pretty and I don't know why the bird looks mad. He has a wonderful place to perch.

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Bonnie! I love the soft sponged colours that show off the pretty stenciled gesso in the background. Your bird is AMAZING! xx

TK said...

Gorgeous! I love the soft background colors over the white gesso-ed flowers. Your bird definitely fits the bill on this wonderful card

Julia Aston said...

what a beautiful background you created for your lovely chickadee Bonnie! Love the mix of soft colors! xx

Susan Joyce said...

Love the stencil you used with the cute die cut bird Bonnie, a beautifully designed card.

My Paper Epiphany said...

Gorgeous pastel background for the sweet bird! Beautiful card!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! This is gorgeous, love the background, more to learn! Love it.
Faith x

Lucy E. said...

This is so beautiful! I love the soft pastels. I’ll have to try this technique.

Chrissie said...

I love that stencil Bonnie and the effect of the gesso to help make that beautifully delicate background is simply stunning!
Chrissie x

baileyrosy.com said...

Truly a beautiful card and most definitely frameworthy.

Marie

Jo said...

Coucou dear friend. What a sublime background for this gesso challenge and for the sweet bird.
Back to vaccination for the fall wave ;)
Hope you and yours are fine. I think of you often xxx

Trina P. said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! Love the soft, dreamy background.

BożenA said...

Thank you for your valuable note regarding the use of a wet gesso cleaning wipe. Your flowers simply pop out of this delicate background. A very beautiful card, Bonnie
xx