Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Hollyhocks and Gesso

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

We're using gesso at CAS Mix Up this month and this card came about
from playing with this medium.

I had seen something a few years ago about using gesso to lighten a background.
You can see that post here.

So while I had the gesso out, I thought I'd give it a try.


I went in a different direction though.  I picked out a Brusho background from my stash
that hadn't worked out and decided to see if I could make a usable background from that.

The technique calls for smooshing a background into gesso that's been spread on a
craft sheet and spritzed with water.

This is what it looked like after the first smooshing.

It was still too much for a background.

So I smooshed it again in more gesso and water and got this result.


Now here's where I went in a totally different direction.

The colors reactivated with the watery gesso and what was left on my craft mat was 
so pretty that I grabbed a piece of cardstock and smooshed it in the leftover color to mop it up. 

After that was dried (and the mess cleaned up), I used this hollyhock stamp, inked with 
Distress Ink, spritzed with water and stamped onto the background.
This technique is usually a disaster for me, but this time I had the right amount
of water.  It left some watery blobs that I sopped up with the corner of a paper towel.  
When it dried, I had just the look I wanted.

I just happen to have the die that matches the flowers so I cut one and colored
it by swiping the ink pad directly on the die cut.




Card Recipe
Stamps:  Full Bloom Hollyhocks (IO), Banner Sentiments (PB)
Ink:   Aged Mahogany (DI), Versafine Onyx Black
Paper:   Neenah Solar White, Neenah Natural
Other:  Gesso, Hollyhocks Die (IO), Linen/Canvas Coverplate (PTI)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

23 comments:

Cat Craig said...

Fabulous back ground and love the repeat of the hollyhocks.

Brenda in IN said...

All of your gesso cards are wonderful. It's great you can revitalize older backgrounds and make beautiful cards from them.

Susan said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Bonnie! Love the colours and the layering of the stamps and matching die.

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Bonnie. LOVE the soft subtle background that you created from the leftover colours and gesso. Your hollyhocks are gorgeous. Now for your smooshed background from earlier ... it's beautiful. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it! :) xx

HilaryJane said...

It is beautiful and thank you for sharing your experiments with gesso. This is a new one to me so I will have to try it as I love the effect. Thanks so much for the inspiration xx

I Card Everyone said...

I just love it! I've always been so fond of your hollyhocks so I'm very happy to see them again and in such a gorgeous setting, Bonnie!
=]

nancy littrell said...

OMG Bonnie...absolutely beautiful and very creative gessoing over your Brushos smooshed background. TFS ALL your detailed description. I so want to try your technique. I am thinking of you as more and more of our technique Queen, my friend:-) Your softer Brushos colors background is so beautiful with your watercolored stamped and diecut hollyhocks card design. Thank you so much for sharing. Love and hugs...Nancy

Pat said...

I love what you did here Bonnie, and the soft colour using the watery lightly coloured gesso left on your craft mat is perfect for the background and with the added smooshed hollyhock stamp and then the added coloured and die cut ones is a fabulous card. x

Trina P. said...

Oh how brilliant you are to mop up the leftover… it made for a gorgeous background for the beautiful hollyhocks!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Great technique for a beautiful background, Bonnie!! Love the stamped and die cut hollyhocks too!!

Nstiz said...

This is fantastic, Bonnie and thanks for directing us to this technique. I have my share of ugly backgrounds to play with. I love the holly hocks and the richer, darker color of the die cut. Fabulous card!

Bobby said...

What a happy accident that was, Bonnie. The final smooshing gave you a beautiful background for those lovely hollyhocks. I love the added die cut one in a darker color.

Lisa Elton said...

This is beautiful, Bonnie! Love your design and those fabulous colors!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a pretty card, and now you have two more backgrounds to use later. Love that final result, and the die cut in front of the stamped images is the perfect accent
Blessings
Maxine

Christine Alexander said...

Gorgeous effect from the smooshed gesso, love how it toned down the colours. Beautiful card ♥

jimlynn said...

Amazing and so beautiful. Love the softness of it all.
Lynn

baileyrosy.com said...

This definitely should be framed what a stunning card so many fantastic techniques on this beauty.

Marie

Papercraft Boutique said...

What a fun journey to get to this gorgoues background, Bonnie! The die-cut hollyhocks are so pretty with the shadowy hollyhocks behind. And you still have the original beautiful background to make another card! ;-)
Hideko xx

JoAnn said...

So pretty. The background is lovely and perfect with the hollyhocks. TFS

Leslie Miller said...

What a beautiful background in all degrees of color! I love the hollyhocks with the most gentle of them. They look right at home!

TK said...

Beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial because I never would've guessed it was a "mop up"! Beautiful colors, and the last die cut layer added the perfect beauty to an already gorgeous background

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Really Beautiful, love the colours and the hollyhock stamp
Faith x

BożenA said...

WOW !!! Stunning card, Bonnie. It's obvious that gesso lightens colors, but your technique is just brilliant. Thanks for sharing. I definitely have to try it out!
xx