Monday, September 19, 2022

More Fun with Gesso

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!


This Christmas tree came out kind of wonky, but I like it anyway.

I used a stencil to smoosh gesso on kraft cardstock.

When the gesso was dry, I replaced the stencil and used a sponge dauber to
add some Rustic Wilderness Distress Oxide ink over the gesso.

I cleaned the stencil again while the ink dried and replaced it to trace around
the edges with a Heat Active Pen and gold foil.  Obviously I didn't have the stencil
placed exactly right which caused the wonkiness.  To add some sparkle, I winked the tree.

At this point I almost tossed the whole thing.  I decided instead to sponge
some white ink around the tree and add some Chunky White embossing powder.
heating from below for snow.

An added gold mat convinced me that this was a keeper.

Challenges:
CAS Mix Up - Gesso with a Stencil 
CAS Christmas - Sparkle and/or Shine

And a twofer....


Another card using gesso through a stencil.  This time I let the gesso dry then used
Blending Brushes to add ink.  A damp paper towel removed the color from the gesso.




 






Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  Noel (OOB)
Ink:   Whisper White, Rustic Wilderness (DOX), Gathered Twigs (DI)
Paper:   Crumb Cake (SU), Gold Foil (SU)
Other:  Christmas Trees Stencil (Artplorations), Gold Stencil Paste, Heat Active Pen (Crafts & Co), White EP, Chunky White Frantage (Stampendous), Wink of Stella, Stitched Rectangle Die (SSS)

Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  Bitty Birthday Wishes (MFT)
Ink:  Mustard Seed, Carved Pumpkin, Wilted Violet (DI), Whisper White
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Neenah Natural, Black
Other:  Gesso, Layering Mini Stencil Set 4 (TH), Flower Stems 1 Die (TH), White EP


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

25 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Bonnie, they are both so fun! I believe that cute tree was intended to be wonky - and I'm into wonky! This second one has a mixed media look of the prettiest kind! LOve the black die cut flower against it!
=]

Bobby said...

Wonky is as wonky does and it gives charm to your lovely tree, Bonnie. The splatters add a lot and I love the colored cardstock. Card two has great ink blended colors that show off the flower silhouette.

Marcia Hill said...

I think both of these cards are FABULOUS Bonnie...especially the wonky one! I've never heard of a heat reactive pen but I will definitely check it out! And I think it looks fine with the gold outlines not being perfectly lined up...it matches with the whimsy of the tree! Glad you didn't give up on this one! I love the 2nd card too with all the beautiful colors blended over the gesso and the silhouette die cut...soooo pretty! Hugs. :0)

Susan said...

What a beautiful Christmas card! I don't mind the wonkiness - I think it adds charm to it. Love the chunky white embossing powder and the white sponging. Great second card - love the colours and the gesso stencilling.

HilaryJane said...

These are both great examples of gesso with stencils. Thanks for adding them to the gallery. I am very glad you didn't toss the Christmas tree as I think the wonkiness improves it, but I know if I was you, I would feel the same. Isn't that strange. I love the addition of the white ink and white embossed snow. It turned out brilliantly and the ink has cleaned off the gesso so well on your second card that it highlights that lovely stencil brilliantly xx

Loll said...

Two beautiful gesso cards Bonnie. LOVE your gorgoeus sparkly tree. The colour with the gold outline is so beautiful together. Love the added white sponging over the card base. This is lovely, my friend ... it IS a keeper! And your lovely card with the bright sponging around your gesso stenciling is so pretty. The black die-cut flower is a great contrast against the bright colours of the background. You are on a roll, my friend! xx

Cat Craig said...

Fabulous cards with the gesso, Bonnie. I am especially loving that tree card so glad you didn't toss it. Fabulous!!!

clelie said...

I LOVE both cards...but I loved and thought you did the 'wonkiness' on purpose!...haven't worked with gesso for too long, so going to pull it out and have some fun because of this inspiring presentation!♥

Lisa Elton said...

I think the wonky tree is fun, Bonnie! And your second card is just lovely. The silhouette against your fabulous background is dreamy!

Pat said...

Two beautiful cards Bonnie and the tree looks great and this style suits a slightly random look and I love the added foil outline and the chunky white embossing powder sprinkled which works perfectly for snow. x

kiwimeskreations said...

Your 'wonky' tree is a delight Bonnie - love it, and I wish my 'wonky' mistakes looked so good :)! The stencilled gesso background on the second card is gorgeous
Blessings
Maxine

nancy littrell said...

I LOVE your stenciled Gesso tree..the soft blended colors and what I thought you had intentionally traced thru your stencil a bit off for a cool effect with the pretty gold shine. I love how you used kraft cardstock and enhanced it with your blending and gesso. Gorgeous technique, Bonnie. TFS your shiny 2nd card with the beautiful Gesso'd background and die cut silhouette flower. You always inspire me with your Gorgeous techniques and choice of colors. TFS my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Carole said...

Two fabulous cards bonnie. I rally LOVE the trees, so classy and I don't see wonky...you would pay a lot in the stores for that! Clever how you have removed the ink with a damp cloth. you are very talented! x

Sandy said...

I sure am glad you kept that wonky card. I love the wonkiness and especially the color of the tree. I think this creation is absolutely beautiful!!!! Of course, I first thought I will copy this - then the more I read the steps you used with the materials used I thought - well maybe not today! Wonderful card Bonnie!!
Sandy xx

TK said...

Both are fun and gorgeous! Your "wonky" equals artistic to me, so glad you saved it!

jimlynn said...

Both are beautiful but I DO love that wonky tree! Gorgeous!
Lynn

Leslie Miller said...

Double fabulousness! I love the Christmas tree, including the wonky outline. I thought it was supposed to be that way and it looks great to me. It is definitely a keeper! Beautiful colors on your second card, cool stencil, wonderful contrast!

Nstiz said...

2 gorgeous cards, Bonnie! I love that tree and the silhouette against that fabulous background is wonderful! I do love seeing your cards, always something different. I never think to use kraft and it does look incredible!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Both cards are fantastic, Bonnie! I thought you offset the gold outline on purpose. I love the way it is! The sponged white background and the Chunky White falling snow make the scene alive. Beautiful shine and sparkle too! The second card is an exemplar of a Mixed Media card!
I'm off to Amazon to check out Heat Active Pen! ;-)
Hideko xx

Christine Alexander said...

Two wonderful cards Bonnie, but the Wonky tree is awesome, the touch of gold is stunning ♥

Sue N said...

Bonnie, I LOVE your wonky tree card! The texture with the gesso, added color and then the slightly offset tracing gives it such a cool look! A really neat holiday card! Sue N

Trina P. said...

Terrific twofers. Wonderful use of gesso. Great decision not to throw away that first card… it looks awesome and love reading what you did to “save” it.

Tina Z. said...

absolutely stunning, so creative and beautiful!

My Paper Epiphany said...

What a stunning Twofer! I love both of your beautiful cards!

BożenA said...

Another amazing card, Bonnie! Moving the template had a spectacular effect, I love it! I love the background too, it has such a hazy effect! What an amazing card, I love it !!!
The color spots in the second card are so exhilarating, and the addition of structural paste brilliantly enriched the card. Beautiful inspiration, Bonnie.
xx