Saturday, September 17, 2022

Vaseline

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

A few weeks ago, Christine led us in a Zoom using Vaseline
on our stamps.  Sound intriguing?

  
We smooshed some Vaseline on a mat and picked it up with a sponge to add a light coat to our stamps
or through a stencil on Yupo.  I used a stamp.

Then we dropped some 91% alcohol or Blending Solution on Yupo and dropped alcohol inks
into the alcohol.  I used my Tim Holtz puffer to move the ink around adding more ink
and puffing until I was happy with the background.

When the ink was dry, we used a soft cloth to rub over top and wipe off the Vaseline which
had acted as a resist.


I tried something different with this one and colored the resist with Copics.

Copics don't work great on Yupo and left a lot of streaks.  It worked out okay for this bird
but I don't think I'd try that again.



Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  Soft Wings (PB)
Ink:   Alcohol Ink (Butterscotch, Sunset Orange, Shell Pink)
Paper:   Yupo, Gold Foil, Neenah Natural
Other: Vaseline, 91% Alcohol, TH Puffer, Thin Frames Rectangles (SSS)

 Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  Perched Hummingbird (IO)
Ink:   Alcohol Ink (Shell Pink, Cloudy Blue, Lemonade)
Paper:   Yupo, Emerald Envy, Neenah Solar White
Other:  Vaseline, Copic Markers (G14, G46, E13, E23, E25, E27, R24, R37, N7), Sharpie Black Ultra Fine



Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

21 comments:

Bobby said...

I don't know where you all come up with these techniques but I'm sure glad you do. Not that I've tried them all but they are very inspiring. This one I wouldn't have even tried had I not seen your gorgeous card, Bonnie. The gold frames around the resisted butterfly really brighten and give an elegant feel to the wonderful alcohol ink background. I love the mix of colors on the second card and don't mind the sketchy bird at all. I'm pining so I remember to try this when I get back and spend a day with alcohol. Inks I mean. ;)

I Card Everyone said...

Another fun, and unusual technique, Bonnie!
Of course, you know I love this gorgeous butterfly, but did you also know I have a soft spot for hummingbirds? Your Copic strokes look very much like feathers!
=]

Susan said...

The butterfly one is beautiful - your Vaseline resist worked so well!! I haven't tried it yet but I might CASE your card as a first attempt. The Copic coloured bird is an interesting result but I agree, not a technique I'll use.

HilaryJane said...

Looks like vaseline works like alcohol lift except the other way round. I bought myself some alcohol lift ink and haven't used it yet! Vaseline would be much cheaper and I already have some. Love the look of both these. It is such a long time since I have had my alcohol inks out. I really like the look of your little bird. I think the copies have worked well personally xx

tonilea said...

Oh, gosh, this is superb! I love your bird and that scrumptious background!!!

Barb Ghig said...

Another fabulous technique, Bonnie! I love all the dimension and your Copic coloring is amazing! You are amazing, my friend ~ xx

JoAnn said...

Sounds very interesting. Your butterfly card is beautiful, and colorful. The second card is pretty also, especially the bird perched on the branch.

Cat Craig said...

These look so cool. I love that bold butterfly with the double gold frames. Stunning. Your bird is amazing as well. Two fab cards.

Nstiz said...

Two wonderful cards, Bonnie! I’ve wanted to try this technique but never did. I bow to you for trying to use copics on Yupo. I tried them on vellum with no success. Both cards turned out beautifully!

Sandy said...

This technique really makes for unique cards and I am really drawn to the outcome! Bravo!!
Sandy xx

Darnell said...

You had great success with the Vaseline technique, Bonnie! (I was a failure at this!) I love the colors of both your gorgeous works of art and I love the streaky unique result of your coloring with Copics on Yupo. Very artsy! Hugs, Dolly

Marcia Hill said...

So I haven't even had a chance to try the double stamping/embossing on vellum yet, and here you are showing another technique that I want to try! Your butterfly card is absolutely BEAUTIFUL...so bold and vibrant and I love it! Awesome cards my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Trina P. said...

Wonderful cards using this technique, which I have to try som time. Interesting that AI’s work well on Yupo, but not alcohol markers… thanks for experimenting so now I don’t have to. 😉

nancy littrell said...

What a cool vaseline resist technique, Bonnie on your your Gorgeous alcohol ink background cards. Thanks to Christine for the technique inspiration too. I need to add this new to me technique to my wishlist, my friend. TFS your detailed descriptions too. I LOVE both your beauties. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Liz said...

Two super cards, Bonnie. The backgrounds are stunning. xx

Loll said...

Two beautiful cards using this fun technique Bonnie!! Crafters are so creative using household items. :) xx

Lisa Elton said...

Your try some of the neatest stuff! What fun techniques with fabulous results!

Pat said...

Using vaseline as a resist is something I have never tried but it works brilliantly Bonnie and the alcohol ink background is so bright and pretty and love the added gold frames. The copic markers you used on the second are a bit streaky but I think it helps give some texture and looks like the feathers of the bird and the bark of the branch and the softer coordinating tones of AI in the background are perfect. x

Leslie Miller said...

Very cool! The Vaseline for resist gives the stamp a whole other look. Another technique to try. I have tried Copic coloring on glossy paper (but not Yupo) and it's an interesting and artistic look. Kind of fun, really. I may have to revisit it. You are an inspiration, Bonnie!

Papercraft Boutique said...

What an interesting technique with great results, Bonnie! I love this butterfly card! The distress-look of the butterfly is so cool against the gorgeous alcohol ink background, and the thin gold frames are perfect for maximizing the beauty of the background.
The hummingbird card is so lovely, and the Copic marker streaks make the card look artsy! :-)
Hideko xx

BożenA said...

I haven't heard of this technique before, but the effect is amazing! It is especially visible in the first card. You have really inspiring group meetings!
xx