Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Sparkling Snowflakes

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

I have more cards made from projects I did using Vaseline on stamps.


For this technique, we spread a little Vaseline on a lid and picked up some with a piece
of foam to lightly cover the stamp or a stencil.  I used a background snowflake stamp here.

We stamped it down on a piece of Yupo paper then added 91% alcohol or blending
solution on top followed by drops of alcohol ink.  All the alcohol or blending solution
allowed me to use my Tim Holtz puffer to blow the ink around a bit.

When we were happy with the results, we wiped with a soft cloth and it
revealed the stamping.  The Vaseline had acted as a resist.

On this piece the color was so strong that I didn't think the snowflakes showed well.
So I put some alcohol on a paper towel and wiped the surface of the piece thinking
that I could just start over.  The snowflakes resist still showed up and gave me a
perfect background for some sparkly snowflakes.


Challenges:







Card Recipe
Stamps:  Hand Drawn Snowflakes Background (HA)
Ink:   Alcohol Ink (Sailboat, Indigo, Amethyst)
Paper:   Yupo, Neenah Solar White, Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer (SU), Silver Foil
Other:  91% Alcohol, Greetings Die (PB), Tis the Season Die (Creative Expressions), Stitched Alpine Snowflakes Dies (PS)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

21 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Who knew? You and your creative friends, that's who! Once again, I'm amazed, Bonnie. Both very pretty - to me, snow you can barely see is the best kind! Your sparkly snowflakes, frame, and sentiment are gorgeous!
=]

JoAnn said...

These are beautiful. I had never heard of using the Vaseline on stamps but it worked as a great resist and your backgrounds are so pretty. TFS

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Both are beautiful cards, using Vaseĺne? Well I never! I haven't ever heard of that, must have a try. Thank you.

marilyn said...

Judging by the other comments, I'm not alone when it comes to not knowing about using Vaseline as a resist! Lovely snowflake card...

Bobby said...

I can't wait until I can play with my alcohol inks. Those backgrounds look wonderful, Bonnie. I love the subtlety of the snowflakes there and the glitter of the ones decorating the cards. Beautiful!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Never heard of Vaseline stamping and I must try it, Bonnie! So clever and what a beautiful result you achieved!!

Pat said...

Wow, this is brilliant Bonnie, and I am amazed that when you wiped the surface with the alcohol that the resist didn't disappear, and the colour is just perfect! The silver glitter frame, snowflakes and sentiment add such wonderful sparkle, and also finished with the sweet little gems in the centres of the snowflakes on the first and that pretty silver twine tied around the snowflake on the second..just fabulous! x

Loll said...

Beautiful snowflake backgrounds using vaseline. Love the addition of the sparkly frames and snowflakes. xx

Liz said...

Beautiful cards, what a great technique using Vaseline. xx

Nstiz said...

Both cards are gorgeous, Bonnie. I love the subtle snowflakes in the background. Thank you again for reminding us of this technique. What outstanding results you achieved.

Susan said...

Two beautiful cards! I love the blue with the glitter paper! Great layouts on both cards and your vaseline technique really worked well.

Christine Alexander said...

love the touch of sparkle on both cards ♥

kiwimeskreations said...

Despite the stutter in the making, these two cards as stunning Bonnie - awesome work! Love how subtle the background became.
Blessings
Maxine

Sandy said...

Beautiful - the silver and blue go together like ice cream and cake! I also love the "Tis the Season" word!
Sandy xx

Cat Craig said...

Cool technique, lovely lovely wintry cards.

HilaryJane said...

I do love the soft background that the vaseline creates. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration xx

TK said...

What a great save, Bonnie, this is gorgeous! I can't image the blue being too strong, but I'll take your word for it because the end result is wonderful

Trina P. said...

So pretty and sparkly! Great happy accident save on the second card.

Leslie Miller said...

Such ethereal and lovely backgrounds with this technique! It's a lot of fun to make them yourself, and trying new ideas is always a marvel. Your cards are gorgeous, Bonnie!

BożenA said...

Perfect backdrop for snow cards, Bonnie. I love the effect you got. The color is delicate and at the same time you can see these beautiful snowflakes on it. Two wonderful cards!
xx

Brenda said...

Well blow me away, I never knew you could use Vaseline as a resist in cardmaking! I am assuming though that it has to be used on "shiny/slick" papers though, like the Yupo paper. Love how your cards came out Bonnie, so dreamy with the snowflakes showing through that beautiful blue background. Love it! Gorgeous cards! Hugs, Brenda