Friday, April 28, 2023

Alcohol Inks on Gelli Plate

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

This month our Group of Seven Cardmakers used alcohol ink on a Gelli Plate.

It's messy but so much fun!

I shared two cards using this technique yesterday and I'll be sharing more in the coming days.
Today I'm sharing my favorites.


To do this technique, we squirted some alcohol ink on a Gel Plate (mine was 3" x 5"). 
A needle nose bottle works great to squirt some alcohol or blending solution onto the plate.  
Then I used a puffer to move the ink around.  
When happy with the mix of colors, regular cardstock is pressed onto
the inky plate.  When pulled off it leaves a lovely pattern and I love that the cardstock is
so much easier to stamp on than the glossy cardstock.

I did the technique a little differently on this piece.
I did one color at a time, trying to add it just to 1/3 of the plate.  I used Lettuce and
Sunshine on the bottom and Sailboat at the top.  I have the Tim Holtz puffer
and it works great for moving the ink and alcohol.

I've been wishing for this dragonfly die from The Greetery for ages and finally 
gave in and ordered it.  It was on a card within an hour after it was in my hands.
That's the fastest use of NBUS ever for me!

I pressed the die cut in VersaMark and heat embossed in gold before assembling him
and popping him on a torn piece of vellum.

Then....


This time I used a NBUS silhouette stamp and kept it simple.

This background was my second pull.  The first was quite rich in color so I added 
some more alcohol on the plate and pulled again.

Here are the two pulls side by side.


I hope you'll go to the Group of Seven Cardmakers blog and take a look at what the
rest of the girls have done and maybe try the technique yourself.  There are instructions at
the web site.




Challenges:
NBUS #49 - Never Before Used Schtuff (Dragonfly & Daisy Stap


Card Recipe
Stamps:  Happy Snippets (PB)
Ink:   Versafine Onyx Black, Alcohol Ink (Lettuce, Sunshine, Sailboat), VersaMark
Paper:   Neenah Solar White, Black
Other:  Gelli Plate, Ink Blower, (TH), 91% Alcohol, Jumbo Curiosity Dragonfly Die (Greetery), Gold EP

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Daisies (Nellie Snellen), Sketched Flowers (SSS)
Ink:   Versafine Onyx Black, Ranger Alcohol Ink (Lettuce, Sunshine, Sailboat)
Paper:   Neenah Solar White, Black
Other:  Gelli Plate, 91% Alcohol, Ink Blower (TH), Linen/Canvas Impression Plate (PTI)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

25 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

These backgrounds are so fun and unique Bonnie, and give such an artsy look to your cards! I love your color combinations and the dragonfly (don't feel bad for finally giving in and buying it...I had to have it too!!!) and the silhouette too! They both look FABULOUS on your inky backgrounds!! Guess I need to go hunt up my gelli plate! Hugs. :0)

Jan said...

I can see why you ordered the dragonfly!!!! Lovely cards!!!!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Bobby said...

I am anxious to try this, Bonnie. I think pulling it from a gel plate with regular cardstock sounds so much easier that getting the ink to move on Yupo paper. Your results are strikingly beautiful especially with that wonderful gold embossed dragonfly.

Julia Aston said...

I haven't tried a rectangle Gel plate yet - your backgrounds came out beautiful with the colors you used Bonnie - the inks do mix and blend if you blow them around alot! and I love your golden dragonfly - I have that die and I love inking them with the included stencils and never thought to emboss them - yours is gorgeous in the gold! Wasn't this a great technique for us to play with this month?!! Julia xx

I Card Everyone said...

I love your results, Bonnie - and both cards are stunning! I'm betting you know by now how much I adore dragonflies - or 'hitchhikers' as I call them.
I'm sure you and your six friends had a blast with this technique - you always do!
=]

Loll said...

Beautiful cards Bonnie. LOVE the colours you've used. So interesting to see the two prints before they were made into cards. They are so different! I can see why you had to have that lovely dragonfly ... it's a wow on top of your beautiful print! xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Stunning cards, love the colour mix and dragonfly.
Faith x

jimlynn said...

WHOA! Stunning card Bonnie!!!
LYnn

JoAnn said...

Love your beautiful backgrounds. Another great technique to try. That dragonfly is gorgeous embossed in the gold. It really stands out. The second card is so pretty with the silhouette stamp. I have to dig out my Gelli plate and give this a try. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Nstiz said...

WOW Bonnie! These are beautiful and love that you got two cards from inking one time. I’m even more impressed that you got such vivid prints on regular cardstock! I must try this and dust off my gelli plate!

nancy littrell said...

TFS your 2 beautiful artsy rectangular alcohol ink on gelli plate cards, Bonnie. I can't
wait to try the technique with my mini circle gelli plate:-) All the GO7 girls sample cards are stunning and so inspiring. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Lisa Elton said...

Your backgrounds are amazing, Bonnie! You created the perfect spot for your fancy dragonfly to land. Beautifully done!

Darnell said...

These are beautiful, Bon, and so are your cards in yesterday's post! Great advice, too! I'm a fan of dragonflies so I can understand why you wanted this stunning creature and why you used it immediately. And I love how you added your tiny Hope sediment in that perfect spot, too! Thank you for sharing more NBUS in the gallery! Hugs, Dolly

TK said...

Beautiful! I love the look of gelli plates,and using them with AIs is definitely beautiful. I've never gotten a gelli plate but I'm definitely intrigued, and the fact that you now use your AIs with them on regular cardstock is perfect, I agree that you can stamp easier on it.

kiwimeskreations said...

Stunning cards Bonnie, and what a great way to use alcohol inks!! Love that dragonfly!! It is not only a wonderful die, stunning in it's own right, but embossed in gold takes it up another notch.
Blessings
Maxine

Pat said...

Beautiful results Bonnie, and it's great to get two prints from the one lot of AI's on the plate, and I too can see why you gave in and got that fabulous dragonfly which makes the perfect addition on the first, and then the pretty silhouette flowers look super on the second. x

Brenda in IN said...

These are so gorgeous. I like the idea of adding one color at a time and the way it gives a bit more dimension for a scene.

Cat Craig said...

Bonnie, these are stunning. THe color combos are quite striking with one another and that dragon fly is a great topper on the first. Your second sets up your flower silhouette quite nicely too.

Leslie Miller said...

Wow, you got a lot of color with your alcohol inky gel plate technique. All are gorgeous. Funny about the dragonfly, but I've been pining away for it, too, and looked it up the other day. I was in a hurry and it was supposed to be a no shopping month (imagine that), so I went away empty handed. I love your use of it with the embossed gold which gives it a lot of wonderful texture. Your stamped silhouette card looks amazing, too. Fabulous contrast.

Susan said...

You got beautiful results, Bonnie. I love the colours you used and the use of the gorgeous butterfly on the first one and the stamped image on the second.

HilaryJane said...

I love your results, wonderful technique and wonderful cards. Thanks for all the inspiration xx

BożenA said...

I always thought AI corrupted Gelly records. But it turns out that the effects you get are stunning. I must try this technique!
hugs,
BożenA

baileyrosy.com said...

Stunning! Both cards are fabulous and I can see why they are your favourites.

Marie

Trina P. said...

What an amazing group of cards. I need to give this technique a try.

Papercraft Boutique said...

Both cards are stunning, Bonnie! Love how the AI spread on the cardstock and the colors mixed. The shiny gold dragonfly on a piece of torn vellum looks amazing! I can see you'll be using the die many times. :-)
Hideko xx