Friday, July 28, 2023

Coloring Dry Embossing

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

This month the Group of Seven Cardmakers are coloring dry embossing.
Today I'm sharing two techniques.  One is colored with ink that is sponged or brushed on
with blending brushes.  The other is watercoloring.

First up is sponging...

supplies used

Since the flowers and leaves are quite small with this embossing folder, I used mini
sponge daubers that I bought at Michaels.

Next is watercoloring...

supplies used 

I embossed Arches cold press watercolor paper for this one.
There is a learning curve as the embossing changes the texture and absorption of
the watercolor paper.

I wasn't happy with the scrolls so I "painted" them with water and sprinkled gold
embossing powder over them and heat embossed.

I find that 3D embossing folders work best for coloring.

There are video tutorials and more inspiration at


Challenges:
Can You Handle the Pressure - Used dry embossing no twist


Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  Thoughtful Messages (SSS)
Ink:   Whisper White, Festive Berries, Mowed Lawn (DI)
Paper:   Neenah Solar White (SU), Soft Seafoam, Vellum
Other:  3D Patchwork EF (Spl), Mini Sponge Daubers (Michaels), White EP

Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  
Ink:   
Paper:   Watercolor (Arches Cold Press), Neenah Solar White, Black
Other:  Book Cover Engravings 3D EF (Alt), Watercolor Pans Forest Glades, Evergreen, Periwinkle Blue, Midnight Violet, Paper Bag, Caran d'ache Supracolor Pencils, A2 Thin Frames Dies (SSS), Wonderful Script Die (Spl)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

26 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Both examples are really gorgeous, Bonnie! I need to borrow that Book Cover EF from Marcia again - wow, that is so beautiful with your added water coloring!
=]

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful cards using two different methods of coloring the embossed panels Bonnie - The delicate sponging on the pink flowers on the first and the lovely watercoloring on the second (love the gold bit!) what a great technique for us to play with this month! Julia xx

HilaryJane said...

I think I need to find myself some of those mini daubers as I struggle to keep the colour where I want it with this technique. You have succeeded brilliantly. I love the look and what brilliant splatters too xx

Christine Alexander said...

Thanks for introducing us to this technique Bonnie, I had so much fun with all the methods of colouring and love the loose edges to the colouring.
Your cards are beautiful, the tiny daubers are perfect for colouring the small areas ♥

Loll said...

Both your cards are gorgeous, my friend. I am loving these techniques and you are the master with embossing folders. Thanks for leading the group with these fabulous techniques. Love, Lolly

Susan said...

Two beautiful cards, Bonnie! You are so good at colouring dry embossing (and I am most definitely not!!). Love the way you heat embossed the gold scrolls - fabulous touch!

Darnell said...

Coloring 3D embossing is something you really excel at, Bon, no matter which method you use! I love seeing all your results! Love, Dolly

jimlynn said...

Both are so beautiful! I'm going to have to look for the mini daubers at Michael's. Great coloring on both of them.
Lynn

JoAnn said...

Both card are beautiful. I really love the first one with the ink blending. The water colored card is pretty also. This is a great technique and will have to try it. Thanks for the inspiration.

nancy littrell said...

Two Beautiful cards using sponging on your 1st card and watercoloring on your 2nd card. I never would have thought to paint the leaves on the 2nd card and then heat embossed with Gold EB Powder. I used Altenews Mini Blending Brushes for my sponging, which worked great for staying in the fine sponged areas. Worked great! I will add the link to my description. Isn't it Fun again creating as a team together, my dear friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

nancy littrell said...

Correction..Altenew "Detailed Blending Brushes" 3 in a set. You can order from SSS too. I used the smallest brush. Hugs, Nancy

kiwimeskreations said...

Wow Bonnie, love your watercoloured image - and how clever to emboss the scrolls. The soft look of the sponged images also appeals
Blessings
Maxine

Cat Craig said...

The color makes the image look so nostalgic. It’s soft and pretty.

Diane said...

Both cards are gorgeous, beautiful blooms!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Can You Handle The Pressure and Triple B!
Diane CYHTP and TB Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Can You Handle The Pressure}
{Triple B}
{Simply Clean & Simple} NEW

Brenda in IN said...

those pink blooms are so pretty and you colored them so well with the tiny sponge daubers. The mowed lawn is so soft it looks like sage and goes beautifully with the pink. Just gorgeous. Oh, that water colored card is stunning. I'm wondering how you get the color to stay just on the embossed part without it running. The touch of gold is elegant.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Gorgeous examples. Thanks for the tips.
Faith x

Bobby said...

The sponged card is lovely, Bonnie, but your watercoloring on the other one is mind blowing.

BożenA said...

Two wonderful cards, Bonnie. I was especially intrigued by the second card, it looks so elegant. Gold EP used wet is a really smart way to color embossed cardboard.
Hugs,
BożenA

Brenda said...

Two beautiful cards Bonnie! I love both embossing folders you used. The first one where you used sponging is so pretty. The second card is just gorgeous, the watercoloring looks amazing, the gold flourishes look like gilding flakes! Both cards are wonderfully done, love them both! Hugs, Brenda

TK said...

Two beautiful cards, Bonnie! I love the softness of the first blended card, but the dimension from your painting the second is just stunning!

Carole said...

Two pretty cards...they are lovely embossing folders. I like both but my favourite has to be the first one. I have never tried the watercolour technique and I feel that it is a lot harder to do having read your post...well done you!

Leslie Miller said...

These are both so gorgeous, Bonnie! I do need more 3D EF's of the type I can color like this. I especially love the look of the bushed-on inks and am going on the hunt for some mini daubers. You have WOW'd me today!

Trina P. said...

Both beautiful. Love the softness achieved with two different methods.

Lisa Elton said...

This is a double dose of prettiness! Your water colored card is incredible!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Both cards are so beautiful, Bonnie! The delicately sponged pink flowers in the first card are pretty, and the sponging technique adds such a soft and sweet touch. The watercolored flowers on the second card, paired with the gold heat embossing, look gorgeous and elegant! Love the wonderful details too. Thanks for your inspiration!
Hideko xx

Vickie Y said...

Beautiful card #2! Thank you for sharing with us at CYHTP Embossing Folder Challenge.