Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Masked Stenciling for Group of Seven Cardmakers

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

Our Group of Seven cards this month use stencils and masks.


We used die cuts or torn paper under a stencil to mask off to make a
unique shape to the image.

I wanted to use some NBUS layering stencils that I had bought last year.
I'm not sure they were the best choice for this technique.

I die cut a scalloped curve for the first card.  If you look close you can see
the scallops.  They were invisible until I sponged around the flowers.

I need lots more practice on adding ink with a sponge or brush!
Some touch up with watercolor pencils helped with the detailing.

The dots are tiny black rhinestones.


I die cut with a bracket edge die to mask on the second card.  The flowers went over the
edge of the mask which made the shape show a little better.

After adding detail with watercolor pencils, I splattered with white gouache.
(I'm living dangerously!)  Fortunately I didn't ruin the whole thing.

The sentiment was heat embossed on a scrap of mixed media paper and
I sponged some of the purple ink over top.

I hope you go over to the Group of Seven Cardmakers Blog
and check out what my friends have done. You won't be sorry that you did.
And if you want to try this technique, there is a linky over there so you can
add to the gallery.

Challenges:
Group of Seven Cardmakers - Masked Stenciling
NBUS #59 - Never Before Used Schtuff (both stencils)

  




Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  Agapanthus (ret TT)
Ink:   Lilac, Guava, Lemonade, Sunshine, Amethyst, Sprout (SSS), Tumbled Glass (DI)
Paper:   Neenah Solar Shite, Black
Other:  Scalloped Borders 2 Die (PPP), Layering Cosmos Stencil (SSS), Black gems (?), Caran d'ache Supracolor Pencils


Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  All Occasions (Jane's Doodles)
Ink:   Victorian Velvet, Wilted Violet, Shabby Shutters, Rustic Wilderness (DI)
Paper:   Mixed Media, Strathmore, Fresh Freesia (SU)
Other:  A2 Bracket Borders (Spl), Fragrant Florals Stencils (Alt), Caran d'ache Supracolor Pencils, White Gouache, White EP


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

28 comments:

marilyn said...

These are really lovely cards! Not totally clear on the technique though...I can see the scallop on the first card, but it's ever so faint..as least from what I can see! Is it more apparent in person?

Julia Aston said...

Gorgeous floral stencils used here Bonnie! With beautiful mix of colors on both! The mask scallop edge is so pretty exposed with the blue sponging around your blooms and sweet tiny black dots! The masked edge on your purple flowers is more noticeable - love the soft white splatter over them! Julia xx

I Card Everyone said...

Bonnie, these are both so fun! This technique gives the impression of layers without adding bulk - or postage!
Hmmm I think I might have something that might work! lol.
=]

Sandy said...

Beautiful! Wonderful colors!!
Sandy xx

Pat said...

Those floral layered stencils are very pretty Bonnie, and your results and colour combinations are gorgeous, and I love the masked off shapes you used which work brilliantly. A lovely sentiment with the black rhinestones as the finishing touch on the first, and the purple coloured sentiment strip to coordinate with the flowers and some super white splatters are perfect to finish the second. x

Loll said...

Two gorgeous cards using this technique, Bonnie. Looks like you've maskered layered stencil too ... both cards are amazing. I LOVE all the details you've added with the background colour, splattering, and details with your pencils. Great work, my sweet friend! xx

Vicky Hayes said...

What a fun technique Bonnie! Lovely cards too with gorgeous stencils! Loving the splatters - looks like living dangerously pays off!! Vicky x

Christine Alexander said...

Bonnie, those layered stencils look amazing. I love how they turned out with the masking. I might have to spend some money :)

JoAnn said...

Beautiful cards with those floral stencils. The colors are so pretty. Great job. I will check out this technique.

Bobby said...

I love both of the floral stencils you used, Bonnie, and the colors are glorious. The technique looks like you can use so many different masks to get a variety of designs on your cards. I'll definitely be trying this.

Nstiz said...

Gorgeous sponging on both of these! It's so soft and perfectly blended. This technique looks fun too. Thanks for the description. Another thing I'd love to try if I can remember it (grin).

Heather said...

So lovely, Bonnie, what an elegant effect. I think the layering stencils were a perfect choice; the flowers are so soft and delicate.

Trina P. said...

Beautiful twofers. Amazing layered stencilling. Fabulous colours, too.

Marcia Hill said...

I think both of these are beautiful Bonnie and what a great way to add layers without all weight of actual layers! Lovely, lovely stenciling too!! Hugs. :0)

Lisa Elton said...

Oh, your flowers are so pretty! Wonderful job with this technique, Bonnie!

TK said...

Both cards are fantastic, Bonnie! I love your inking, and can't image why you need to practice! I did notice your scalloped edge right away -- such a fun technique to add even more interest to a great card

kiwimeskreations said...

Two beauties, Bonnie - love the subtle scallops on the first card, but what a fascinating technique - the potential is limitless.
Blessings
Maxine

Cat Craig said...

Lovely card, the more I see of this technique the more I want to give it a go.

Brenda in IN said...

The masks you used really stand out when you ink around them and cards are so pretty.

BożenA said...

WOW! When I saw the flowers on the first card, I thought of the delicate flowers of the cosmos. Their petals are so delicate, they look like they are made of soft vellum. And you managed to recreate this exact effect in your flowers. When the petals overlap, the color intensifies. I love this effect. And the second card, equally beautiful and impressive. I love both cards!
hugs,
BożenA

Darnell said...

I think I need my eyes examined, Bon. Either that, or you are too hard on yourself! I think your sponged stencil work on these flowers is brilliant. I love how some of the petals are so almost see-through in places, like real petals are and I love that you used fancy edges for your masked area! Hugs, Dolly

Irish Cherokee said...

Love the splash of color on both cards. Both cards are Spring reminders. The crocus and snow drops are in full bloom. The daffodils are up and preparing to bloom. Beautiful cards.

Hugs and Blessings

Cindy H. said...

Wow, your cards are both so gorgeous! Great Spring colors and wonderful designs.

HilaryJane said...

These look stunning. I am glad you have used those stencils and I like the way you have used your mask. The subtle edging adds interest without distracting from those amazing flowers. Great colours too xx

Leslie Miller said...

You have some incredibly beautiful stencils, Bonnie! Love the colors you used, and I saw the scalloped edge right off. These are simply amazing samples!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Two beautiful examples of this technique, Bonnie - love the colorful flowers on card one and the pretty purple on card two!!

Robyn Oliver said...

Stunning cards Bonnie, simply beautiful, love those gorgeous floral stencils and the inspiration to use some long forgotten dies I have... thanks also for stopping by my blog, hugs Robyn

Susan said...

Two beautiful cards, Bonnie! Lovely sunny colours on the first. The second is my favourite - the bracket-shaped masking really works well and the purple flowers are gorgeous!