Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Bokeh for Group of Seven Cardmakers

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

This month the GO7 gals have been using the bokeh technique.


Pretty much it's a technique of adding white circles to a colored background.

I looked through my background box and found this piece of Gansai Tambi mop up.

I punched some different sizes of circles from a piece of vellum and
sponged white pigment ink through the stencil to add the bokeh dots.

Another background from that stash....


The background actually looked like waves and when I added the bokeh dots, it
looked like it needed a water scene.

I stamped and heat embossed with white on mixed media paper, then die cut
and watercolored with Zig Brush Markers.

and then I decided to go in a different direction....


Jack had seen a similar card on my computer and liked it.  Since he has a birthday
coming up soon, I thought I'd CASE that card and make him a money holder.

This time I ink blended a background.  I'm not good at ink blending and the background 
was already kind of splotchy, but I was glad that the sponged circles showed up so well.

If you look very closely you'll see that I embossed the panel with waves before
adding the whales.

Here's the inside. No bokeh there.  I'll tuck some paper money in the pocket
and the whale will help hold it in place.



You can find instructions for the technique and a video link at the 

There's also a linky if you want to try it and share it with us.



Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  BP Fancy Sentiment Strips (Spl)
Ink:   Encore Gold
Paper:   Neenah Solar White, Mixed Media (Strathmore)
Other:  Gansai Tambi watercolor, Gracious Leaves EF (MB), Curved Cap Pinpoint Layers Die (MB), Daisy Silhouettes die (MB), Copics (G21, E33, Y18, E97, C00, C0)

Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  Seahorse Garden (Spl)
Ink:  Embossing Ink, Whisper White, Pool Party
Paper:  Mixed Media (Strathmore), Neenah Solar White
Other:  White EP, Seahorse Garden Dies, Zig CCRBM (Lemon Yellow, Tea Rose, Carmine, Oatmeal, Pale Green, Turquoise Green, Deep  Green, Shadow Mauve, Beige), Fluted Classic Ovals dies (Spl), WOS

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Carefree Wishes (PB)  
Ink:   Faded Jeans, Prize Ribbon, Black Soot (DI), Whisper White (SU), Versafine Onyx Black
Paper:   Neenah Solar White, Licorice Black (MFT)
Other:  Handmade Vellum Stencil, Spellbinders 2023 Advent Calendar die, Seaside EF (ret SU), Magestic Confetti (Studio Katia)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

23 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A Super set of cards. x

Cat Craig said...

All are lovely, and that whale card is exceptionally eye-catching.

Darnell said...

Great use of your stash, Bon! Adding the Bokeh is a great way to make our stash look new again! But my fave is the money-holder for Jack! It's fantastic, especially with the added waves and inside whale and waves. Jack will love it! Hugs, Dolly

I Card Everyone said...

Loving all three, but Jack's card has my heart today, Bonnie! 13!! How does that happen so quickly? I predict a whale-of-a-big hug for that one!
=]
ps I saw those 'bokeh bubbles' right away!

Leslie Miller said...

Drool! I keep seeing one amazing card after another and I love them all! The first is gorgeous with the arch of loveliness and the very cute daisies. Soft beachy colors on your second with the rope net background. Love the arrangement. The third is striking and clever and it makes a perfect money holder card. I know 13 year old Jack will appreciate that as well as the very cool card from you!

Julia Aston said...

Three beautiful uses of a Bokeh background and each so different from the other Bonnie - love the orange/red colors on the first with those gorgeous daisies in the corners, your sea horse and shells look right at home with the ocean like background and wonderful robe embossed background! and I love the whales in the deep ocean with their air bubbles - what great whale dies! and so fun inside where the money goes - one of my grandnephews just turned 13 yesterday - they grow up so fast! Julia xx

Christine Alexander said...

Three great cards Bonnie, the one that stole my heart was Jack's whale card. Orca are my favourite sea mammals, the white bokeh are perfect for bubbles. This was a fun technique ♥

Marcia Hill said...

I think you aced this technique Bonnie and I love all 3 cards!! Especially your slimline for Jack...he's going to LOVE it too! Hugs. :0)

Lisa Elton said...

They're all fantastic, Bonnie but Jack's card is my favorite! I love the inside too!

Susan said...

Three great bokeh cards! Good idea to pull some backgrounds from your UFO box - the bokeh technique really steps them up a notch!
The third one on the ink blended background is stunning - lovely rich colours and fabulous whales! And I love the way you finished the first two cards!

Bobby said...

Three different looks and all of them fantastic, Bonnie. The bokeh definitely works well for water and Jack's card is wonderful with all the whales.

JoAnn said...

Fabulous trio of cards using this technique. Love the daisy card. What a fun whale card for Jack. Love the way you finished the inside.

TK said...

Wonderful cards, Bonnie! Love the bokeh technique and this are no exception. I also love the way you reversed your sentiment so you could get that whale inside for the money holder too

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Three gorgeous cards with the bokeh technique - love them all, Bonnie! Such happy colors on card one with the flowers and I love your ocean backgrounds on cards two and three!! Those whales are adorable!!

Pat said...

Three fabulous cards using the bokeh technique Bonnie, and I love the rounded rectangle shape with the pretty die cut daisies over the top, and the colour in the background echoes the centres of the daisies and the background leaf embossing goes beautifully, and then the next two with undersea themes, with a gorgeous seahorse, and another interesting EF with the rope design which you have subtly inked, and then the trio of whales against the dark blue bokeh background and love the waves EF you used on the inside too, and I'm sure Jack will really love this. x

Nstiz said...

These are SUPER, Bonnie! What an outstanding job you did with this technique, one I've never succeeded with. I'm impressed that you even finished the inside of the one with the whale. All three have such a beautiful background.

Trina P. said...

All fantastic bokeh backgrounds. Love the last one with the awesome money holder design.

kiwimeskreations said...

Fabulous use of the technique Bonnie - you have showcased it beautifully with these gorgeous cards
Blessings
Maxine

Brenda in IN said...

Each design is so different from the others and the bokeh is different too. I like the circles that run together and I think those on Jack's card are so soft and hardly seen but add mystery to the background. Three great cards.

HilaryJane said...

What a great showcase for the bokeh technique. Thank you. Love them all xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

You've created wonderful scenes using the Bokeh technique, Bonnie! The first card is so pretty - the vellum circles with white ink create a beautiful effect on the warm-colored background.The waves and the water scene are perfect together on the second card. The embossed rope net in the background is such a nice touch! The third card is so clever! I love how the dry-embossed waves on the bokeh background inspired the water scene. And the little whale money holder is such a fun idea! Jack is sure to love it! Happy birthday to him!
Hideko xx

Robyn Oliver said...

Two super male cards Bonnie and one very pretty floral... the use of the Bokeh technique on your inky stash pieces has achieved some gorgeous results.. love all the cards and thanks for the inspiration, hugs Robyn

nancy littrell said...

Absolutely Gorgeous, Fun and Beautiful money card for your special grandson on his very special 13th Birthday, Bonnie:-) Your grandson's birthday cards have always been very special and fun to see...Thank you so much for sharing:-) Love and Hugs...Nancy