Sunday, July 28, 2024

July Group of Seven Cardmakers

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

I'm back again....

This month our Group of Seven Cardmakers tried a very different technique that 
our friend Jenny had used.  We couldn't find a name for it so Darnell, our word person 
was consulted and came up with Kaleidoscope.


I thought about putting my design in a circle to mimic a kaleidoscope, but
opted for a hexagon instead.

I took a bit of a shortcut and pulled a watercolor background from my never ending
background stash.  I used a background stamp and heat embossed the image on said
piece.  Then I cut the image into one half inch strips, lined them up in a random 
fashion onto a piece of cardstock and placed it behind the hexagon aperture.

Next up is another shortcut using patterned paper.


Then I wondered how it would look on a dry embossed piece.

It turned out to be my favorite.


I used this NBUS snowflake that I stamped, heat embossed, die cut and 
watercolored on top.

I caught a photo of the tag before the snowflake landed on it so you could 
actually see the pattern.


You can check out better instructions and the cards my GO7 friends and Jenny have 
done at The Group of Seven Cardmakers blog.  If you try this technique, 
we'd love for you to link it up with us.




Challenges:
NBUS #64 - Never Before Used Schtuff
Peace on Earth #68 - See Mood Board Below






Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  Rose Leaves Background (IO), Choose Joy (PTI)
Ink:   Whisper White, Emerald Envy
Paper:   Neenah Solar White, Watercolor (TH)
Other:  White EP, Stitched Hexagon Layers (MB), Etched Laurel Leaves (SSS)

Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  Folk Snowflake (PFS)
Ink:   Night of Navy
Paper:   Night of Navy, Neenah Solar White, Patterned Paper (?)
Other:  Stitched Alpine Snowflakes (PS)

Card Recipe (card 3)
Stamps:  BP Merry & Bright Sentiment Strips (Spl), Folk Snowflake (PFS)
Ink:   Betterpress Black, Whisper White, Prize Ribbon, Wilted Violet (DI)
Paper:  Mixed Media (Strathmore), Neenah Solar White
Other:  Winter Snowflakes EF (Szx), Folk Snowflake Die (PFS), White EP, WOS, Scallop Border Die, Corner Rounder



Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

21 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A Super selection, beautiful too. x

I Card Everyone said...

Bonnie, I think I know why you love the last one best of all - it's the most CAS and embossed! It's my favorite, too - but they are all three wonderful - leave it to Darnell to come up with a great name for this technique. lol
=]

Julia Aston said...

Three lovely, different versions of this technique Bonnie - I love the pretty panels in the hexagon, the lovely blue/white/black colors on your snowflake DP and the fun embossed panel - but up and put back together with that beautiful snowflake on top! Julia xx

Darnell said...

I love the short-cuts you used for this technique, Bon! I'm always looking for ways to use my backgrounds and pp! And I think trying this with a pretty e/f was so clever ~ love the pretty snowflake that landed here and over at NBUS! Hugs, Dolly

Lisa Elton said...

This is a trio of loveliness, Bonnie! Your third is my favorite with all of the crisp white layers and that frosty blue snowflake!

JoAnn said...

I think Darnell named this technique perfectly as it sure fits. Love your cards and how you used different styles on each card. The embossed tag is so pretty, but my favorite has to be the first one with the hexagon. Love the stamped and embossed images and it just looks like a kaleidoscope to me.

Cat Craig said...

And there you go one step further. They are are fabulous. Thanks for the inspiration.

Robyn Oliver said...

I love all three of your Kaleidoscope cards Bonnie... afabulous idea to use your backgrounds, embossed and pp's ... I too love the last embossed one, have a wonderful day, hugs Robyn

TK said...

Really fun, and kaleidoscope is a perfect name for this technique! Beautiful

Susan said...

You did a great job on this month's Group of Seven technique, especially on your first card - love the colours and the white embossing in the Kaleidoscope panel on that card. I haven't tried using patterned paper yet, but your second card inspires me to give it a try. And a good idea to try it with an embossed panel - so pretty with the blue snowflake on top.

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh my goodness Bonnie, these are amazing - what a great technique, and you have made some fabulous examples
Blessings
Maxine

Brenda in IN said...

This embossing in white really stands out and the hexagon frame looks great. Perfect paper for the Let it Snow card and you wowed it with the snowflake on the gorgeous embossed tag. Great job with this technique.

Sandy said...

Interesting art work Bonnie. As I love clean and simple, the last two are my favorites especially the white tag. Because of the embossing, it looks like white on white.
Sandy xx

Marcia Hill said...

I love all 3 of these Bonnie, but I think my favorite is the one you like best too with the embossing. Blue & white are just so classy!! Definitely a fun technique and will have to give it a try!! Hugs. :0)

Bobby said...

I can really see the kaleidoscope effect on that first one, Bonnie. Good for you for trying it with an embossed panel. I love that look too. Now I'm sorry I discarded a panel I had painted. It would have worked well all cut up.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

My goodness, so much inspiration with that technique, Bonnie!! Love all the examples, especially the embossed one!!

Darlene said...

Oh Bonnie ... these are all absolutely beautiful designs! Awesome inspiration! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Peace On Earth challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power, Love Those Pretty Papers

Christine Alexander said...

gorgeous cards Bonnie, I especially love the hexagon background but what a great idea using patterned paper ♥

My Paper Epiphany said...

Three fabulous cards! You have shown how well this technique can work with many mediums! I am always in love with blue and white and especially love your elegant embossed card!

Loll said...

Three fabulous cards using the Kaleidoscope technique Bonnie! LOVE the hexagon with the white embossed leaves that are mimic'd with the leafy die-cut. Using patterned paper for your second card is such a clever idea. The card is beautiful. And LOVE the dry embossed version that makes a gorgeous background. Lots of scope for this technique as you've shown here! xx

Nance said...

These are all very cool, Bonnie. I do love the last one with the white embossed background. It's very elegant.