Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Gilded Holly

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

How are you?  I hope you and yours are staying healthy and
not worrying too much.  I'm trying to focus on the uplifting stories
I see and hear and trying not to worry about the rest.


I've needed the fan on in the studio for most of the month, but had a day 
cool enough to turn it off and get out the Gilding Flakes.
If you've ever used them with a fan on, you know what I mean! ;-)
Cathy is asking for us to use gilding flakes at CAS Stencil.

I used a Tim Holtz holly stencil and a piece of cut-n-dry foam pad to spread
Flitter Glu through the stencil.  I removed the stencil and covered
the piece with these gold flakes pressing down with my fingers.

When it seemed the flakes were covering good, I used the scrubby thing
to brush off the excess.  The leaves still felt a little sticky so I took out
some little scraps of foil and used a bone folder to rub it over the stickiness.
It gave it a bit of a golden grunge look.

I love the way my friend Ros tucks a bit of same color die cuts
on her cards and I copied that idea with a pine branch.  A gold embossed
sentiment on a strip of vellum finishes it off.

.  This shows the shine, but the background is washed out.
Oh, well.  Hopefully you can get the idea.
It really looks much better IRL.



Challenges:
CAS Stencil: Gilding Flakes


Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Think Big Christmas (PTI)
Ink:   WOW Emb. Pad
Paper:  Neenah Natural, Vellum, Gold Foil (SU) 
Other:  Holly Bough Stencil (TH), Flitter Flu, Chariot of Fire Mega Flakes (Indigo Blu), Gold EP, Holiday Greens Die (TH)


23 comments:

Cathy said...

Beautiful card Bonnie,love the added texture from the white diecuts and your gilded holly looks fantastic, take care, Cathy x

Pat said...

The gold gilding stands out beautifully and I love the holly leaves stencil, and the extra piece of die cut pine branch tucked behind the mat, and the gold embossed vellum sentiment finish it perfectly. x

Brenda in IN said...

Wow, this is so pretty. The gilding flakes really capture the light and reflect back. I love the addition of the pine branch extended out from the panel. What a great idea and it adds texture along with the gilding flakes.

Marcia Hill said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Bonnie! I love all the shimmer and shine...such an elegant card! And yep, I can imagine what having a fan on would do with the flakes...instant mess!! Lovely, lovely card my friend!! :0)

jimlynn said...

WOW! So beautiful! LOVE all that wonderful gold Bonnie. Beautiful card.
Lynn

nancy littrell said...

Absolutely Stunning gilded flakes stenciling, Bonnie. I love the bit of grunge look you got by adding a bit of gold foil to the sticky areas. Gorgeous heat embossed on vellum sentiment. I love how you tucked in the die cut pine boughs too. I can tell by looking at both your photos how Gorgeous and shiny your card turned out. Such an awesome challenge by Cathy. Stay safe and creative, my friend. Hugs...Nancy

Loll said...

WOW! Gorgeous card Bonnie! LOVE the gilding flakes with your leaves. So beuaitul and the shine is amazing. I to love the way Ros tucks in white-on-white die-cuts behind frames. It adds so much! This is one STUNNING card, my friend! Glad it cooled down enough to pull out those gilding flakes. :) xx

Robyn Oliver said...

Oh my goodness Bonnie this is sooooo lovely, how gorgeous are the holly leaves in gilding flakes... beautiful card, and yes I like how our friend adds those little bits of detail to her cards. Have a fabulous day, take care hugs Robyn

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful colours with the gilding flakes Bonnie, I love the dark flecks. Gorgeous card :)

Ros Crawford said...

I can just imagine those flakes blowing everywhere and covering you in gold! Terrific card Bonnie and I'm so glad I kinda inspired you with the die cut Lol! The shine is amazing but isn't it a pain to try and capture in photos! Have a beautiful day my lovely!

Bobby said...

Gilding flakes AND embossing powder. Neither one are good with a fan, or the heat blowing through the register below my craft desk. This is gorgeous, Bonnie. If I ever get flakes I will try it because I have that stencil and don't know what to do with it.

I Card Everyone said...

Gilded golden goodness - gracious this is gorgeous!!!
=]

TK said...

It's beautiful! You're right, that tone on tone die cut really adds a punch too -- love all that golden shine

kiwimeskreations said...

this is stunning Bonnie - loving the gilding on those leaves - what a great technique and a fabulous result. Loving the detail of the sentiment and the white die cut in the background
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

HilaryJane said...

This is a wonderful card, I love that holly with gilding flakes and what a good idea to tuck a die cut behind the panel. Lovely shine. Yes, I can imagine what it would be like with gilding flakes and a fan on, definitely best not to go there! xx

Trina P. said...

Just gorgeous. Amazing job capturing that exquisite shine in your photo.

Barb Ghig said...

Gorgeous Christmas card, Bonnie! Your sparkly leaves are so pretty and I love how you included your die-cut in the background...so pretty! I'm so glad it cooled down so you could play along with us ~ Barb xx

Susan said...

This is high on my list of all-time favourites of your cards, Bonnie! It's so beautiful. Love the gilding flakes, love the vellum sentiment strip, love the die-cut to add interest and texture to the card base! Fabulous in every way!

Julia Aston said...

Oh this is lovely Bonnie! The gilded holly is beautiful and I love the die cut piece peeking out on the side! xx

Jo said...

Such a special grungy effect with those holly leaves. The white die cut does add to the interest, well done. All the gold touches keep this card very festive. Love this xx

Mac Mable said...

Wow those flakes look amazing and the technique through the stencil looks stunning. A wonderful card Bonnie x.

Papercraft Boutique said...

Gorgeous gilded holly leaves, Bonnie! I love the bit of grungy look and a flair of Ros. :-)
The gold embossed sentiment on a strip of vellum is a wonderful touch.
It hit 93 degrees in my area yesterday. Where did spring go?
Hideko xx

BożenA said...

Your gilded background is impressive, Bonnie. I also love the white cut branch, it looks wonderful and so beautifully distinguishes this card
xx