Monday, August 1, 2022

Faux Batik Butterflies for CAS Mix Up

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

It's time for a new challenge at CAS Mix Up.

Using Emboss Resist Technique, Stamping, Heat Embossing, Brushos, Sponging and Dry Embossing.

My sweet friend Nancy is hosting this month and she's asking for...


She's added some tutorials on the challenge site if you're not sure
of the technique.

I pulled this piece from my UFO box that had some butterflies embossed
on a Brusho background.  I wasn't happy with the results but didn't hate it enough
to throw it away.  

After watching this video of the Faux Batik technique, I saw a way to save
this piece.

I folded it in several places, scoring as I went along.  Then I flattened it out
and smoothed the folds before adding lots of ink with a blending brush.
When I wiped the excess ink off the butterflies, I was pleasantly surprised!
Another UFO found a home.

Our fabulously talented Design Team has lots of inspiration to share
with you at the CAS Mix Up challenge site.  We are joined this month by
my dear friend Brenda (Inkspired to Stamp) as our Guest Designer.

I hope to see you in the gallery at CAS Mix Up.


Card Recipe
Stamps:  Social Butterfly (PB), Thinking of You (Alt.)
Ink:   Whisper White, Wild Honey, Picked Raspberry, Villainous Potion (DI)
Paper:  Mixed Media (Strathmore), Neenah, Black 
Other:  White EP, Brushos, Mini Slimline Double Stitched Dies (Kat Scrap), Subtle EF (SU)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

31 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Stunning card, with a beautiful background and butterflies, love the scoring too.
Faith x

I Card Everyone said...

Bonnie, you never cease to amaze and delight! Must check out that technique as your results and so incredible - of course, you know I'm going to love anything that sports a few of my flutterby friends!
Love the colors here, too! x
=]

HilaryJane said...

what a great save on that piece. I have a whole box of bits like that, you have made this one look stunning, will have to try the technique xx

Viv said...

Must try this Bonnie cos you've made a great job here! Lovely card. x

nancy littrell said...

OMG..Love how you added the scored lines and more blended inks to revive your beautiful heat embossed resist butterflies panel, Bonnie. TFS your detailed description of your techniques. Such a fun challenge..I think:-) Love and Hugs...Nancy

Bobby said...

I don't know what it looked like before but the final product is amazing, Bonnie. Love all the blended color and the white airy butterflies.

Julia Aston said...

Great way to 'recreate' a panel you didn't love - so pretty with the folds added to create the look of batik!xx

Nstiz said...

Gorgeous card and thanks for the link to the tutorial! I do love how you "fix" projects you were not happy with. This turned out just beautiful!

Loll said...

Beautiful faux batik card Bonnie. Love the gorgeous butterflies and the pretty sponged colours. Great card, my friend! xx

LeAnne said...

Gorgeous! This is just stunning! I might have to jump in with some emboss resist this month!

Aileen said...

This is such an eye-catching stunning card Bonnie.. so glad you kept it. Those butterflies are just amazing too look at and work perfectly with this technique.

Christine Alexander said...

beautiful effect with the faux batik, love the white butterfly against the purples and yellows ♥

JoAnn said...

This is beautiful and a great save of that UFO. Love the embossed butterflies.

Lisa Elton said...

I can't take my eyes off of those pretty white butterflies! This is a marvelous card, Bonnie!

Pat said...

Beautiful white embossed butterflies Bonnie, and the added colour is so bright and the creased lines give some wonderful extra dimension too. I love the added black gems on the heads of the butterflies, and the black matted layer for the topper and the sentiment and then a lovely matching black stamped sentiment too. It just goes to show that you should give pieces you're not fond of a second go, and it worked brilliantly here. x

Brenda in IN said...

You aren't going to have a UFO box at the rate you are using them up. This is gorgeous, Bonnie. I love the batik look and those white butterflies really pop against the colorful background.

Cat Craig said...

That is a beauty Bonnie, the colors and that thin black border really pop.

Marcia Hill said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Just came from Loll's blog showcasing this technique, and now after seeing your BEAUTIFUL card too, I will definitely have to try this technique! Just watched the video (thanks for the link!!) and can't wait to try it! And great save from something you didn't particularly like at first, but turned into a show-stopper! LOVE it!! Hugs. :0)

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Amazing how we can "save" pieces we didn't like at first! I love, love, love your butterfly print, Bonnie - just stunning!!

Sue N said...

Lovely card, Bonnie! I love the white resist butterflies and the faux batik adds a great look! I haven't done that technique in awhile! Sue N

Leslie Miller said...

What a save! This is amazing. The fold technique is another I'll have to try. I love emboss resist and all the different things you can do with it. This one is definitely gorgeous!

Barb Ghig said...

This is such a GORGEOUS card, Bonnie! Your emboss resist background is so pretty...I love the effect of your folded lines, especially with those fabulous butterflies! Thanks for the link for this technique ~ xx

Darnell said...

Great save, Bon! I'm so glad you didn't throw it away because it made a beautiful card to inspire us for Nancy's challenge prompt this month! I'm so pleased to see Brenda as the GD! Hugs, Dolly

Papercraft Boutique said...

Gorgeous faux batik card, Bonnie! I'll check out the technique. Adding a little of "mascara and lipstick" to the original panel turned it into a beautiful piece. Love the pop of white butterflies on the gorgeous ink-blended background!
Hideko xx

Susan said...

You did a fabulous job with the faux batik technique! I tried it once but had no success. The butterflies are lovely against those vibrant colours!

Linda said...

WOW! This looks amazing! The butterfly is beautiful ...... might have to search for that one! The colours are just stunning, and I love the faux batik effect ..... off to check out the video now, thanks for the link! xx

Susan Joyce said...

Wonderful butterfly image Bonnie and I love the bright colours you used to create the Faux Batik background.

Trina P. said...

So beautiful. Fabulous use of the technique.

Cathy said...

Beautiful card Bonnie, love the colours and the butterflies embossed in white look amazing, Cathy x

BożenA said...

These butterflies look phenomenal. They are so delicate, so fleeting ... I love how they appear from the background. Beautiful inspiration, Bonnie.
xx

Robyn Oliver said...

Fabulous card Bonnie, the white embossed butterflies highlighted with the pretty colours and batik effect is wonderful, hugs Robyn