Sunday, January 28, 2024

Alcohol Ink with Gilding Flakes for GO7

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

This month the Group of Seven Cardmakers had a messy play with alcohol inks and
Gilding Flakes.

I did four cards from two pieces of gilded alcohol ink.

First up....


For the blue piece, I used lots of alcohol with the ink on Yupo paper and my 
Tim Holtz Ink Blower to move the colors in fun patterns. I let it dry completely and
tried to add gilding flakes to the sticky areas.  

I couldn't get it to stick, so I used the skinny tip
of my Bearly Arts glue and added thin beads of glue to some areas then covered the glue with the
gilding flakes and let it sit for a while before rubbing the excess flakes off. 

I die cut some 
feathers from it.  You can't see it in the photo, but there are dry embossed 
feathers in the background.

 With the rest of the piece, I CASEd myself...  


I hadn't used this fun die in a long time and it works so well with
alcohol inked backgrounds.

Then I did a piece of green and made two more cards.

My first Christmas card of the New Year...


Again I used lots of alcohol with the ink on Yupo paper and my Tim Holtz Ink Blower to move
the color around.  Before the piece was completely dry, I covered it with gilding flakes
and pressed into the ink.  I left it to dry a bit then I used a scrubby to rub off the excess.

There was still some sticky places after it dried and I couldn't get the flakes to stick
so I sprinkled baby powder over the top and rubbed off with a dry baby wipe.
This worked great to get the sticky off.

For my final card, I used the rest of the green piece...


and added an Irish Blessing and hot foiled butterfly to it.
The butterfly was hot foiled on acetate and put on top of a die cut
of plain white.  The antenna is from gold cardstock.

Do go over to the Group of Seven website and check out the instructive videos and 
the beautiful examples the rest of the GO7 gals have done.  They have good tips and tricks
for this technique on their blogs.  If you try it yourself, you can link up your results
over there too.  The biggest tip I have is to wait until AFTER you do this to vacuum!


Challenges:
Group of Seven Cardmakers - Alcohol Ink with Gilding Flakes
Double D Challenge - Sparkle and/or Shine
Try it on Tuesday - Add Some Text


   





Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  Encouraging Words (Stampendous)
Ink:   VersaMark, Aqua, Monsoon AI (Ranger)
Paper:   Yupo, Black, Gold Foil
Other:  Feathers on the Side EF (Darice), Feather Dies (?), Gold Gilding Flakes ($ Tree), Gold EP, Circle Punches (1/8" & 1/4")

Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  Sentiment Strips (Alt)
Ink:  Midnight Muse, Aqua, Monsoon AI (Ranger)
Paper:   Yupo, Neenah Solar White
Other:   Floral Stem Collage (PS), Gold Gilding Flakes ($ Tree)

Card Recipe (card 3)
Stamps:  Holiday Sayings (Inky Antice)
Ink:   Gumball Green, Citrus, Limeade, Botanical AI (Ranger)
Paper:   Yupo, Neenah Solar White, Gold Foil
Other: Gold Gilding Flakes ($ Tree), Pretty Pines Thinlits (ret SU), Quickie Glue Pen, Glitter,

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Irish Blessing (Verses)
Ink:   Versafine Onyx Black
Paper:   Yupo, Neenah Solar White, Acetate
Other: Gold Gilding Flakes ($ Tree), Mini Slimline Double Stitch Die (KS), Small Butterflies Hot Foil Plate & Die, (PFS), Gold Foil

Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

29 comments:

Susan said...

You had great success with the techniques, Bonnie - both the glue version and just sticking the gilding flakes to the wet AI. Four gorgeous cards, especially the first one as I love the blue against the black - so striking! And a perfect die on the second one to let the AI piece be the star of the show.

I Card Everyone said...

I'm betting you won't be one bit surprised that your Irish Blessing with this lovely flutterby is my favorite? lol
You did have such a fun time with this technique and all of your cards are gorgeous, Bonnie!
=]

JoAnn said...

Wow, 4 beautiful cards. Love the colors in the blue one and the greens are pretty too. The second one is definitely my favorite. Thanks for the inspiration - I will have to try this technique.

Bobby said...

I've done foil on alcohol ink but never gilding flakes. Fortunately Darnell sent me some the last time Go7 used them so I have some to work with. I haven't used my alcohol inks in a long time and am anxious to get them out. Your cards all turned out beautiful, Bonnie. And the fact you got two from each panel is remarkable.
FYI: I got a phishing warning from your email. I don't know what they thought was dangerous about it but I went directly to your blog instead.

Darnell said...

Haha! I have wooden floors, thank goodness! Bon, I'm not gonna lie, I would be arrested by the adjective police if I tried to describe how much I admire the designs you created with your makes. So I'll just pick up my chin and say, "Mwah!" Hugs, Dolly

Loll said...

All of your cards are beautiful Bonnie. You got the gilding flakes to stick really well. The flakes are messy to work with, but so worth it when you end up with four amazing cards like you did! Great work, my friend! xx

Julia Aston said...

I love, love, love your blue cards particularly Bonnie! The feathers are beautiful with their flecks of gold against that black background and you got lovely flecks on the floral card as well. Your green panel is wonderful on both cards with ALL of the gilding you got to adhere onto the panels - love that Irish blessing too! Julia xx

Christine Alexander said...

wonderful monochromatic AI backgrounds and beautiful foiling. your blue feathers and flower background really caught my eye :)
What a fun technique.

nancy littrell said...

Ha,ha,ha...I did wait until after the artsy creative process to vacuum too:-)

Bonnie..I Loved all 4 of your cards and how you got 2 cards out of each beautiful Alcohol Ink background:-) TFS your detailed card supplies too...I LOVED your Alcohol Ink color combos. You make me want to make some more Alcohol Ink backgrounds with Gilding Flakes to add to my AI Stash:-) Love and Big Hugs..Nancy

kiwimeskreations said...

Bonnie this is a stunning quartet of cards - love the green AI panel, but the way you have used the blue one to make the feathers, then to place them against the black background results in a fabulous card.
Blessings
Maxine

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Four gorgeous cards with that technique, Bonnie!! Love them all & can't decide if my fave has the feathers or the pines & bow. The feathers are so dramatic and the pines so delicate - both cards are wonderful!!

Dotty Jo said...

How lovely! I think I have gilding flakes somewhere... Jo x

Brenda in IN said...

Stunning, that's what these are. All so different even using the same backgrounds. The feathers are so beautiful and I love the greens and gold. The Irish Blessing is a wonderful sentiment. My hint is not to use gilding flakes under a heating vent in winter.

Marcia Hill said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! All four of these are BEAUTIFUL Bonnie and it's hard to even pick a favorite! I'm in love with the blue and gold combination, but the green and gold are just as beautiful! STUNNING cards my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

All are stunning cards. x

Lisa Elton said...

Okay, now that I'm done oohing and aahing!! Wowee, love all of this pretty golden shimmer, Bonnie. Number two is my favorite, but it really is hard to pick just one!

HilaryJane said...

You have achieved some amazing shine with your gilding flakes on these. They are all fabulous. I can't choose a favourite xx

BożenA said...

Four stunning cards, Bonnie. An alcoholic background with a lot of spirit gives the impression of a watercolor, where the color changes intensity so incredibly. I love it. Gilding makes your backgrounds so elegant. Fantastic cards and it's amazing that you already have the first Christmas card in your stash this year.
There was no threat message today. I think everything is fine
hugs,
BożenA

Nstiz said...

These are SUPERB Bonnie! Spent the evening looking for feather dies because the bright blue one over black is spectacular. The others are equally beautiful but that one in particular caught my eye. Thanks for describing this wonderful technique to us too!

TK said...

These are BEAUTIFUL! Love the colors you've chosen, they're just really great AI movements that made really wonderful cards. I also love the two-layered butterfly you added to the last card too

Cat Craig said...

You've mastered this technique. GORGEOUS cards.

Trina P. said...

Fantastic! Looks like you nailed the technique. And well done on photographing the gorgeous gilded shine on them, too.

Megan J said...

Hi Bonnie, four gorgeous cards, love the bright green and gold for Christmas, thank you for the inspiration... Megan

Darlene said...

WOW! These are all just AMAZING and GORGEOUS! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power

Leslie Miller said...

Incredibly gorgeous pieces, Bonnie! I love how you cut the feathers from the AI piece. Now that you mention it I do see the feather-embossed border. I have that folder and never remember to use it. Your gilding flakes appear as silver on the blue and gold on the green -- pretty cool! You really captured the shine in your photos. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Double D!

Joan said...

Wow! a stunning set of cards, love the gilding techniques you have used, just beautiful. The Irish blessing card is ideal for our challenge

Thanks for joining in at Try It On Tuesday Challenge

Joan

Dawn H said...

I love the green. It certainly lends itself to be used for St. Patrick's Day cards. I have not tried the Yupo paper and inks technique but I love the results.

Pia S said...

These are all gorgeous designs. I do love the verse you used for the butterfly card, it’s perfect for our challenge. Thanks for playing in our challenge over at Try it on Tuesday.

Susan Joyce said...

I love these cards, great work with the AI and the Gilding Flakes, especially love the two blue designs.