Thursday, March 28, 2024

Cover Die Eclipse Technique for Group of Seven

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

We used a different (to me) technique at the Group of Seven Cardmakers 
this month.  I will admit that I did some shopping to get some cover plates
that I though would work for this technique.


After seeing Julia's gorgeous blue and white card I wondered how patterned paper
would work for this technique.  This pack of paper has two pieces of some designs, one
of paper and one of vellum.  I used the vellum piece as the base and die cut the paper.
In hindsight, I think I would like it better if I used the darker piece as the base.

I used a plaid die to cut the top piece and glued it to a piece of cardstock.
Then I lined the die cut piece over the base, lining up the designs.

Then...


I had two past calendar pages with this sunflower in my UFO box.  I like this better
with more white around the design.  I think it makes the design stand out better.

And my favorite...


More past calendar pages and the other plaid die.

I hope you'll go to the Group of Seven Cardmakers blog to see what the
the fantastic designs the rest of the group has done.  You'll find a link to a video
tutorial by Gina K Designs to help with the technique.

Challenges:
Group of Seven Cardmakers - Coverplate Eclipse
NBUS #60 - (Never Before Used Schtuff - Both Coverplates)
Penny Black Saturday - ATG using Penny Black

  


Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  
Ink:   
Paper:   Patterned Paper (?), Neenah Natural, Red, Black
Other:  Layered Plaid Die (TH), Yana's Wonderful Scripted Sentiments (Spl)

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Painted Harvest (ret SU), Fancy Greetings (Alt)
Ink:   So Saffron Crushed Curry, Soft Suede, Old Olive, Mossy Meadow, Chocolate Chip (SU)
Paper:   Neenah Solar White, Crushed Curry
Other:  Jack Frost Cover Plate (CP), Clear EP

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Butterfly Trio (PB)
Ink:   Memento Tuxedo Black, Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed (DM)
Paper:   Neenah Solar White, Black
Other:  Blender Pen, Layered Plaid Die (TH), A2 Thin Frames (SSS)


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

26 comments:

Darnell said...

That butterfly is stunning, Bon, but I have to say, I love all three of your creations using this fun technique! I wondered how hard it would be to use my plaid cover die ... you've inspired me to give it a try! Happy Easter! Love, Dolly

BożenA said...

WOW! Amazing cards, Bonnie. I appreciate the first card precisely because of your choice to use vellum in the bottom layer. This gives the card its hazy appearance. I love it. The sunflower looks beautiful on a white background and this amazing butterfly! Three great cards!
Happy Easter, my dear Bonnie.
hugs,
BożenA

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Amazing designs and cards. x

I Card Everyone said...

Now one who knows me well would think I'd pick that flutterby, too, Bonnie.. but SURPRISE: you had my heart at sunflower!
All three really beautiful, and a very fun design technique!
=]

HilaryJane said...

It is always nice to have an excuse to go shopping! Love all your cards. Love the technique. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for all the inspiration xx

Julia Aston said...

Three lovely and different designs using this technique Bonnie - Your tulip paper in card and vellum is beautiful with the plaid die and your sunflower fit perfectly inside one of the flower/star die cut areas - love the angled edge and colored card in the corner. Your full panel butterfly is so pretty with the plaid die and black framing - a great way to used your past calendar page stampings! Julia xx

Robyn Oliver said...

OH my they're all fabulous cards Bonnie, I'm really leaning towards using some PP because the designs are usually more intricate... the stamped ones are more clean and crisp looking... anyway they're all inspiring.. Happy Easter Robyn

Loll said...

All your cards are so beautiful, Bonnie. I agree with you about the white surrounding the image, it's much easier to see the design of the cover plate. I only have a couple of cover plates, so I ended up using smaller dies, which worked for me. xx

Christine Alexander said...

Awesome samples Bonnie, this is such an addictive technique :)
I think my favourite is the butterfly, also a great way to use up past calendar pages.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Three fab examples of that technique, Bonnie! Love them all and especially the patterned paper one. Don't know what it is, but the pp examples have all drawn me...

Lisa Elton said...

You picked some great cover plates for this technique, Bonnie! All three cards are as pretty as can be!

TK said...

Gorgeous! Though I must admit I gotta go watch the video, because my brain just isn't wrapping around this -- or maybe I'm just too tired... It looks amazing though!

Susan said...

Three fabulous examples of the Eclipse technique, Bonnie. My favourite is the butterfly - it really stands out with the die cut top layer.

nancy littrell said...

Love all Three of your card designs, but the more simplistic design of your 3rd card won out as my favorite card design. Thank you for sharing all 3 beautiful cards, dear friend. Love and Hugs...Thank you for sharing....

LesleyG said...

More fabulous cards to inspire us, you have shared so many great ways to try this, thank you xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh my goodness - going over to see how to use this stunning technique Bonnie - you cards are amazing
Easter Blessings
Maxine

Marcia Hill said...

WOW! All three of your cards are absolutely BEAUTIFUL Bonnie!! When I saw the title of your post, I thought eclipse meant using a word die and not a cover plate die...I am amazed how beautiful this technique looks and you nailed it with all three cards! Well done my friend...well done!! Hugs. :0)

JoAnn said...

Three gorgeous cards with this technique. The sunflower does show up better with the white around it. Love the butterfly and the first one also. This technique sounds interesting, will have to check it out.

Brenda in IN said...

Using the pattern paper with vellum gives the softest look. I love the sunflower card and the butterfly is so pretty. I also like that cover plate from TH. All three cards are lovely and this is a fun technique with amazing results.

Bobby said...

Your cards are all so fantastic, Bonnie. I agree the cover plate shows up more when the base has less image on it. I have a double plaid plate from Concord and 9th that is similar to yours. I may try it or one of my many others. ;)

Leslie Miller said...

And now you have some new cover dies! I love all of them, including the first with the designer paper. I've got my eye out for ways to use the patterned papers that are hard to cut into. I do love that exquisite butterfly. It shows the pattern beautifully!

Pat said...

I love both of your coverplate dies Bonnie and this technique looks great with the tulip pp and then the sunflower and the butterfly both work beautifully too. I have been meaning to try this but up to now haven't got around to doing it, so perhaps this is the perfect time. x

Nstiz said...

These turned out fantastic, Bonnie! Love that you were able to use a calendar page and LOVE that sunflower. I haven't done this technique yet and am happy to see a video of it. You sure are moving along on cards lately!

Trina P. said...

Terrific trio! My favourite is the birthday card. Such a cool technique, too.

Cat Craig said...

I too wondered about patterned paper and this technique. All of your examples are lovely. Happy Easter.

Helen said...

Such a clever design Bonnie! such wonderful results. I must give it a try especially with the pattern papers! Thanks si much for sharing with us at PB Saturday Challenge. :)