Monday, April 1, 2019

Dragonfly Birthday for CAS Mix Up

Hello friends.  It seems impossible that it's April 1st already!

It's time for another challenge at CAS Mix Up.


This month Susan is hosting the challenge

I'd never done this technique.

Lucky for me, Susan found us some video tutorials to  help us along.
You can find them at the challenge.

I found that you HAVE to use a lighter color of embossing powder first
or the second color won't show up.

I also had to try more than one layering stamp.  The first one didn't work well.

For my dragonfly, I stamped the solid stamp of the wings first and
emobssed with silver embossing powder.

I lined up the lacy wing stamp by laying it on the design and
closing the lid of my MISTI.  I stamped with the embossing pad and
heat embossed with Rose Gold embossing powder.

The second layer had the dragonfly body on it so I tried to wipe
the ink off the stamp so's not to emboss the body yet.

Luckily there is a separate stamp for the body.
I lined it up, stamped with embossing ink and heat embossed with
some Magical Embossing Powder and Wow!
I love this Teal!  Thanks, Loll!

I used a piece of embossing that was cut down and dipped the
edges in a Delicata ink pad that matches the Rose Gold Embossing.

A stamped and heat embossed sentiment on a strip finishes it off.

Here's a shinier close up.
My mixed media are layered stamping, layered heat embossing, dry embossing, and die cutting.

I hope you'll give this a try and join us at

Our Design Team and our Guest Designer Bozena, have
some awesome inspiration pieces to share with you.

I'm also going to pop in at Just Us Girls Challenge
where Sue has chosen....
I do love my embossing folders!


Thanks for the visit and special thanks for your comments.

Enjoy!

Card Recipe
Stamps:  Dragonfly Dreams (SU), Fun Birthday Sentiments (HLS)
Ink:   WOW Embossing Pad, Celestial Copper (Delicata)
Paper:   Neenah (110 lb. Solar White)
Other: Detailed Dragonfly Thinlits (SU), Silver EP (SU), Rose Gold EP (Wow for Catherine Pooler), Midnight Teal EP (Lindy's Magicals), Large Size Letter EF (Kwan Craft) 


25 comments:

Mac Mable said...

Stunning result with the new to you technique Bonnie...And it was new to me too and it seems we both learnt lots along the way x.
Your card is so striking, love the different colours of the embossing powders and the die cut of the dragonfly is a real WOW....Stunning CAS card x.

Barb Ghig said...

Oh my gosh, Bonnie...Your dragonfly is gorgeous! I love the contrast of the texture on the wings and the beautiful sparkly teal you chose for the body...WOW! Perfectly placed on your subtle background, too! Your recipient is going to feel very special when they receive this amazing birthday card, for sure! Barb xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A wonderful technique beautifully worked Bonnie.
Faith x

Jo said...

Oh my goodness what a precious rich dragonfly. I'm still learning on this technique, thanks for the tip on the order LOL. Lots of yummy texture added with the dry embossing too. Love the repeated heat embossing on the edges of the panel and sentiment tab. These are two exceptional EPs, what a spectacular appeal. Great choice. This card is gorgeous xxx

Linda said...

Lovely card Bonnie, with your sweet dragon fly and the embossed background.

Liz said...

Beautiful card, Bonnie and what a fabulous dragonfly! I love the colours you've used. xx

Carole said...

Wow! what a stunning dragonfly...love ,love that teal body ad those two tone wings. A super card! xx

Nstiz said...

This really is gorgeous, Bonnie! I'm going to have to check out the video so thanks for the link! Love your color choices on this and even your edging is so perfectly and neatly done! Beautiful!

Sue VanDeVusse said...

That dragonfly is gorgeous! I love the beautiful layers of embossing for such a stunning effect. He looks perfect perched upon the embossed background. Thanks for playing along with us at JUGS!

Darnell said...

This is so breathtaking, Bon-Bon! I have a thing for dragonflies, so I instantly fell in love! All the schparkly layers and texture really made me go aah! Hugs, Dolly

jimlynn said...

Absolutely stunning!! LOVE this Bonnie. That dragonfly is so pretty and I know it shines.
Lynn

Loll said...

Your dragonfly is AMAZING, Bonnie!! LOVE the mix of colours on the wings and that gorgeous teal body. WOW! Great design with script background and the smaller panel edged with gold. Lots of wonderful layering! xx

Christine Alexander said...

This technique looks so intriguing Bonnie, I'm going to have to check out the video. I love your dragonfly so beautiful in the two colours :)

Susan Joyce said...

Awesome dragonfly Bonnie love the Teal with the Rose Gold, so pretty.The rose gold edging really sets off the dragonfly gorgeous card.

kiwimeskreations said...

Exquisite results Bonnie - this is fantastic
Blessings
Maxine

nancy littrell said...

OMG...Stunning layered and heat embossed dragonfly, Bonnie. I Love the teal color for the body. Thank you so much for sharing the close up showing all the texture and shine on your gorgeous card. Hugs..Nancy

BożenA said...

Bonnie, your card is the pinnacle of elegance. I love the colors you choose. I love the delicate wings of the dragonfly, in this pearl color they look stunning.
Hugs,
BożenA

Susan said...

Beautifully done, Bonnie! Love the rose gold with the teal! And perfect on the simple embossed background with the matching rose gold edge.

Jeanne H said...

What a beautiful card, Bonnie. Super well done and thanks for telling us how you did it.

Papercraft Boutique said...

Wow, what a gorgeous layered heat-embossing birthday card, Bonnie! I LOVE your Rose Gold and Teal embossed, beautiful dragonfly! It has so much texture too. The dry embossed panel adds the right amount of interest and the edging with matching color creates a sense of cohesion. Fantastic design, as always!
Hideko xx

Karen Dunbrook said...

how wonderful mf.
x Karen

Trina P. said...

Your first go at this technique and you nailed it, Bonnie. Your dragonfly is gorgeous against the embossed background. Love the combination of EPs you used. xx

Julia Aston said...

I just love the colors you used to emboss your pretty dragonfly Bonnie! what a fun technique this month! xx

Bobby said...

The teal is the perfect dragonfly body, Bonnie. This is such a beautiful card with the rose gold trim and embossing under that stunning winged creature. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Just Us Girls.

Brenda in IN said...

Bonnie, that rose gold e/p is gorgeous. This is a stunning dragonfly with his bright body. Love the background.