Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Faux Cloisonné for CAS Mix Up

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

It's time for a new challenge at CAS Mix Up
and this month we have a mixed media challenge.


Susan is our host this month and she chose....
Mixed Media: Faux Cloisonné, Stamping, Watercoloring, Embossing with a Die

I will admit that I scratched my head with this one!

So I checked out the videos she provided and went to work.

I found a stack of Vogue and Vanity Fair magazines where I volunteer.
Someone had finished with them and wanted to share.
They worked perfectly for this technique.

I found a pattern that I thought would work and stamped an image on it, 
then heat embossed it with gold embossing powder.

I didn't have a die for this set so I fussy cut it.  I stamped and fussy cut from
a piece of scrap card too and glued the two together.  The magazine page was
kind of flimsy.

You can see the shine of the embossing better here.,,


I will admit that this hummingbird was about my fourth or fifth try.  Some things I
discovered from my mess ups not so good tries.  

Pick a stamp with some detail but not too much.

I liked small patterns better (although Susan's example uses a larger design
for her butterfly.

Don't be afraid to try again.  Every bad try is a learning experience.

Our talented Design Team
have some awesome examples of this technique to inspire you.
I hope you'll check them out.
Then look through your magazines or catalogs, give this
technique a try and come on over and share it at



Card Recipe
Stamps:  Flora and Fauna 2 (Wplus9), Together (PB), Sketched Flowers sentiment (SSS)
Ink:   Encore Gold, Spun Sugar, Worn Lipstick, Picked Raspberry, Peeled Paint, Versafine Onyx Black
Paper:   Neenah, Mixed Media (Strathmore 400 series)
Other:  Magazine Page, Gold EP, Stitched Rectangle Die


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

30 comments:

HilaryJane said...

I think your humming bird turned out beautifully. I was challenged by this one too. Love your soft flower too xx

Mac Mable said...

I am looking forward to trying this new to me technique Bonnie and thank you for your amazing inspiration. What a stunner of a card x.

Susan said...

Gorgeous hummingbird, Bonnie! The gold embossing must be gorgeous in real life. I remember trying faux cloisonne years ago.

nancy littrell said...

Wow...Love your shiny faux cloisonne hummingbird feeding on the pretty flower, Bonnie. So pleased you shared the close up photo. All the DT cards are Gorgeous !!! TFS Love and Hugs...Nancy

Vicky Hayes said...

Your hummingbird turned out stunningly Bonnie. It really does look jewelled! I love that you contrasted it with a non-cloisonne flower too. Vicky x

Nstiz said...

THIS is impressive, Bonnie. I hope to watch the videos since I love all the texture and color on this one. What a fabulous effect and brilliant idea. Beautifully done even if it took a couple of tries. I admire your patience and perseverance!

JoAnn said...

Your hummingbird is gorgeous, and so is your card. This looks like a fun technique. I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Carole said...

Wow...what a beautiful hummingbird and a very clever technique!

conil said...

Love how the cloisonne adds almost the iridescent flash that the hummingbirds have here. Think you chose the ideal image for this technique. And that watercolor flower looks so delicate and fresh. The spatter is the perfect embellishment for your card.

Pat said...

Your faux cloisonne hummingbird looks wonderful Bonnie and the softly watercoloured straight to stamp technique on the flower is beautiful Bonnie. x

Brenda said...

I've never heard of this before so had to go watch the video's. Very cool technique and a great way to use up some magazine pages. Your card is gorgeous Bonnie, I love your little hummer and the pattern you chose. Your flower is gorgeous too, I always love seeing your flowers. Hugs, Brenda

Christine Alexander said...

Wow gorgeous humming bird Bonnie, the gold embossing and the shine from the page is such cool effect. I have to play along :)

TK said...

Amazing! What a beautiful technique -- I will definitely have to watch the videos on this one

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! This is stunning.
Faith x

Susan Joyce said...

Beautiful card Bonnie, your Hummingbird is perfect for the Faux Cloisonné technique with the shine and shimmer of the magazine page and the Gold heat embossed bird image.

Marcia Hill said...

Oh my!! This is GORGEOUS Bonnie! Will definitely have to check this challenge out! Glad you persevered as this card is just beautiful...love it!! Hugs. :0)

I Card Everyone said...

I love your cloisonne hummingbird, Bonnie! I can tell you I already know I'm going to enjoy a LOT of learning experiences with this one! ha!
=]

Cat Craig said...

Beautifully done. I love cloisonne pieces so I may have to join in.

Papercraft Boutique said...

Your hummingbird is gorgeous, Bonnie!! The shine of the gold embossing is amazing on the stunning faux cloisonne bird, and you paired it with your watercolored pink flower so well. Thank you for sharing your learnings. I'd love to try this new-to-me technique this month!
Hideko xx

Trina P. said...

Beautiful hummingbird, Bonnie. The gold is exquisite and you’ve captured it’s shine brilliantly in the second photo. I remember seeing this technique ages ago, but never gave it a second look. 😂

Leslie Miller said...

I remember this technique from years ago. Very fun, and beautiful results, Bonnie!

Darnell said...

Wow, Bon, I'm pretty speechless and you know that's saying a lot! It's my new favorite card of yours and not just because you used a sweet hummingbird! Hugs, Dolly

Lisa Elton said...

The hummingbird is incredible! What a great card, Bonnie!

Julia Aston said...

what an interesting technique - and your hummingbird came out beautifully! No magazines here at the moment - will have to check maybe a catalogue (lots of those!) or DP but I want to try this! xx

Barb Ghig said...

WOW! I'm so impressed with how you used this technique, Bonnie! The texture and shine on the hummingbird is amazing and perfect for this beautiful bloom ~ xx

Jo said...

A precious hummingbird for this soft bloom (love the softness). I haven't tried this technique, I'll give it a go xxx

Loll said...

Your hummer is gorgeous, Bonnie! LOVE the magazine design you've used that creates those gorgeous colours under the gold heat embossing. So pretty with it looking for a sweet drink from your pretty watercoloured flower. Amazing card, my friend! xx

Bobby said...

It looks even more beautiful IRL, Bonnie. I'm definitely trying this when I get home to my embossing powders.

Linda said...

Your hummingbird looks gorgeous Bonnie. The design on the paper looks like feathers and it's the perfect colour, goes beautifully with your pretty stamped flower.
The was a real challenge for me too, I think I need more magazines!! Fab technique though, I'll definitely be trying it again xx

BożenA said...

Your effort has paid off and it has had such an amazing effect, Bonnie. I love the look of this hummingbird and the watercolor flower is such a great contrast to it. A stunning combination.
xx