Thursday, August 17, 2023

Going Coastal

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

I thought I'd try something a little different.

I had a used canvas that I wanted to re-use so I'd covered it with gesso.


I used watercolors to paint a coastal scene then it sat on the table for a few days.

I wanted some texture so I used texture paste for the foam on the waves.  That pointed
palette knife worked great for spreading the paste.

I had in mind to do some cabanas and tried to paint the area over with white acrylic paint.

It became very apparent that I would NOT be able to paint stripes on these cabanas in an
attractive way.  So it sat for a few more days.

It dawned on my that I had some wide striped ribbon that could work for the cabanas.
It worked much better than what I could paint.

I wasn't sure how to do the roofs but Trina had a fantastic idea of using star dies.
She used them for faces on her Jack-o-lanterns, but they worked great for the peak on
the roofs.


I'd picked up the chunky fragments from a clearance table years ago and thought they 
would work great for sand or broken shells.

The gulls are die cut and colored with watercolor pencils.

Finally I die cut some "sea oats" from specialty paper that has lovely specks in it.  I sponged a bit 
of Brushed Corduroy DOX ink on the edged.  Just the stems are glued at the bottom 
so they can wave in the breeze.


I don't think mixed media canvases will lure me away from cardmaking, but it was a 
fun summer project,


Recipe
Stamps:  
Ink:   
Paper:   Woodgrain (TH), Collage Pad, Neenah Solar White
Other:  6" x 6" Canvas covered with gesso, Watercolors (Gansai Tambi), Grasses Dies (AR), Star Dies (ret SU), Flying Gulls Die (MB), Caran d'ache Supracolor Pencils (Grayish Black, Beige), Taupe Color Fragments (Stampendous), Ribbon (ret SU), Embossing Paste (Wendy Vecchi, Tacky Glue


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

22 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Such a fun project, Bonnie! I'll be it's a darling addition to your crafty space!
You have used every element in such a clever way!
=]

LeAnne said...

Oh my goodness, this is the sweetest little summer project ever! So clever to use the striped ribbon as cabanas as well as the stars for the roof! I can hear those seagulls and the roar of the surf right now! Amazing!

Bonnie said...

My heart be still: Layer on layer of texture and color. Drop the water color brush.

Bobby said...

What a wonderful piece of art, Bonnie. I love how you put it all together and I'm sure it's a lovely reminder of days at the beach.

jimlynn said...

Fantastic canvas Bonnie! I love the way you did the cabanas with the ribbon. Very creative and this will look great hanging in your craft room - or anywhere else for that matter!
Lynn

Marcia Hill said...

What a FABULOUS little scene you created Bonnie...LOVE it!! Especially using the ribbon and pieces of star die cuts for the cabanas! What a fun project...totally made me smile this morning!! Hugs. :0)

HilaryJane said...

This is so clever and so effective, well done. I am glad you got there in the end and what a brilliant way to use that ribbon and star shapes. Love it xx

Pat said...

What a fun and pretty mixed media piece Bonnie and love your use of the striped ribbons for the beach huts, and the fragments for the sand and shell/shingle and love the gulls and sea oats and the wonderful white crests on the waves...absolutely delightful! x

Ann D said...

Love this! This card is GENIUS! Ribbon for cabanas? Why not! So many textures and just the right colors.

Loll said...

You have created summer at the beach with your amazing canvas, Bonnie. I love all the perfect details that add so much texture and depth. Great work, my friend! xx

nancy littrell said...

OMG...thank you so much for sharing ALL the fabulous creative details that went into your very life like beach scene, Bonnie...I am soooooo Impressed!!!! I LOVED every single detail, dear friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Cat Craig said...

Oh this is a great project, and those old (SU?) ribbons are fabulous for the cabanas. Love all the textures.

Lisa Elton said...

How clever to use ribbon for the cabanas! This is a cute project!

Leslie Miller said...

Going coastal -- hahaha, what a great title! Canvas may not lure you away from cards, but you did an amazing job on this scene. Those white caps on the water, and the broken up shells are very authentic. Love the oat grass and the gulls. A brilliant idea to use ribbon for the cabanas! I LOVE that! And stars for the roofs. We make do with what we have. It sure worked out for you!

Sandy said...

FANG-dang-TASTIC! Your ocean is wonderful and the cabanas are so much fun. Who would have thought that using some of a star die could make such wonderful roofs. The perfect size and fit. So creative and amazing use of different elements to make this scene. Bravo Bonnie!!
Sandy xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Wow Bonnie, this is fantabulous!!! Love all the texture you have created, and your sea with the foaming waves is amazing. Love your subtle colouring o f the gulls also
Blessings
Maxine

Susan said...

What a wonderful beach scene!! I love the use of the ribbon - that was a brilliant idea. The colours are fabulous, likewise the addition of the chunky fragments.

TK said...

Your re-use of the canvas made a beautiful project! What a scene, so many little details and it brings peace to the soul.

Brenda in IN said...

I am bowled over with this canvas. Your clever use of ribbon is awesome. I love the waves and seagulls. The sea oats are perfect and the canvas gives so much texture to the sky and water. Great way to create the roofs too. I loved Trina's card and her ideas too.

Vicky Hayes said...

This is just so clever Bonnie! I love that every time you walked away, you came back with a fabulous new problem solving idea! The result is a beautiful summery piece of wall art! Vicky x

Brenda said...

Wow Bonnie, this is gorgeous! I love this canvas and I think it will be such summer décor! It would really be great in a beach house. LOL You did an amazing job painting this scene and your little beach cabana's are so cute! I love that you used the striped ribbon, it worked perfectly as did the stars for the roofs. Your seagulls are so realistic looking and of course not beach is complete without sea oats! The clunky fragments work well for the sand/shells. I just adore this! Hugs, Brenda

Trina P. said...

Now I understand your commented on my post about the peaked roof! This is an amazing masterpiece. The ribbon cabanas is brilliantly perfect! Love all the details, texture and dimensions.