Sunday, April 28, 2024

Elegant Writer for Group of Seven Cardmakers

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

Another month and another fun technique shared with the Group of Seven Cardmakers.

This is a technique that I've been wanting to try and it was as much fun as 
I thought it would be.

I did a few projects.


First up was a feather stamp that I think will make a great anniversary card for my OH.

I inked onto nuxed nedua paper with permanent ink and let it dry before adding a little 
bit of Elegant Writer along some of the lines in the middle of the feathers.

After going over it with a wet waterbrush, the ink blended into mainly gray.  
I couldn't seem to get the blues and pinks.

Next...


I die cut some more feathers from mixed media paper, scribbled the Elegant Writer on
my palette, spritzed with water and smooshed the die cuts into the ink.

and...


This titmouse stamp has been in my NBUS box for years. 

I put the stamp in my MISTI and inked it with the elegant writer.  I inked small
sections at a time because I wasn't sure how long it would stay wet.

When he was all stamped, I touched the waterbrush to the ink.
This time I got some browns with the grays and I began to wonder if I needed
new Elegant Writers.  The ones I was working with were pretty old.

So I ordered a new set from Amazon.

New markers make a BIG difference.


Again I inked the stamp with permanent ink and added some Elegant Writer
to some of the lines before adding water.

I finally got some pink and more blue-gray shades.

For splatters, I scribbled Elegant Writer on my palette and picked up ink with
a really wet brush to splatter.  I added some chunky gold embossing powder too.

Finally...


I got a little more pink on the wings of this stamping and matched it with
Fresh Freesia cardstock.  Then to make it even more feminine, I covered the wings
with Quickie Glue pen and sprinkled some fine glitter over top.

I was able to get some aqua and brighter pink on my paper towel.
Maybe someday I can get those colors on an image.

I hope you'll check out the Group of Seven Cardmakers site to find links to videos
using the Elegant writer and written instructions.  There's also a linky in case you try this 
and want to share with us.

The rest of the GO girls got fantastic results and have some tips and tricks
to share with you too.  I hope you'll check them out.


Card Recipe (card 1)
Stamps:  Forward and Through (Unity), Botanical Silhouettes (PTI)
Ink:   Versafine Onyx Black
Paper:   Mixed Media, Neenah Solar White, Black
Other:  Elegant Writer, Waterbrush, Red Ultrafine Sharpie, Feather Die, Mini Slimline Double Stitched Die (KS), Timeworn Type EF (SU) 

Card Recipe (card 2)
Stamps:  Easy Expressions Original (Ton)
Ink:   Versafine Onyx Black
Paper:   Mixed Media, Neenah Solar White, Black
Other:  Feathers on Side EF (Darice, Feather Dies (various), Easy Expressions Die (Ton), Elegant Writer, Waterbrush, Black Nuvo Drops

Card Recipe (card 3)
Stamps:  Do Your Thing (Unity), Tendrils (PB)
Ink:   Versafine Onyx Black (for sentiment), Vintage Photo, Gathered Twigs, Kitsch Flamingo, Picked Raspberry, Aged Mahogany (DI and DM) (for branches)
Paper:   Mixed Media, Neenah Solar White, Basic Gray
Other:  Elegant Writer, Waterbrush, Spring Leaves Cover plate (Honey Bee), Fluted Classic Ovals Die (Spl)

Card Recipe (card 4)
Stamps:  Happy (Unity), Uplifting Phrases (Rubbernecker)
Ink:   Versafine Onyx Black
Paper:   Mixed Media, Black
Other:  Elegant Writer, Waterbrush, Chunky Gold EP

Card Recipe (card 5)
Stamps:  Happy (Unity), 
Ink:   Versafine Clair Morning Mist
Paper:   Mixed Media, Fresh Freesia
Other:  Elegant Writer, Waterbrush, Quickie Glue Pen, Fine Glitter (Sweet Poppy)
Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!

25 comments:

Julia Aston said...

You have certainly shown how varied the outcome can be using different stamps and methods of using the Elegant Writer - LOVE your beautiful feathers, your cute little bird and lovely dragonfly! I need to play with my Elegant Writer with different images now! Julia xx

clelie said...

Wonderful examples!!!! I particularly LOVE the card #4! I am going to search for that Rubbernecker sentiment!! I have not used my Elegant Writer with a waterbrush for quite a long time and just might need to purchase a new one, too! Thank you for sharing your expertise with us! As always...Love your Works of Art!☺

nancy littrell said...

OMG...4 Fabulous Elegant Writer cards using different colors, birds, feathers and stamps, Bonnie:-) I LOVE all 4 of your beautiful cards. Thank you so much for sharing. Love and Hugs....Nancy

HilaryJane said...

Not 1 but 4 fabulous examples of this technique. Thank you. I have some unused elelgant writers and am going to have a go xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Beautiful cards and technique. x

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Wow Bonnie - so much gorgeousness with your Elegant Writer examples; I'm blown away!! Especially love the dragonflies but the feathers are fabulous too!!

Christine Alexander said...

Wow Bonnie, you certainly had fun with your elegant writer. So many pretty images, I can't really chose which I like best :)

JoAnn said...

Wow, you made great cards using this technique, love them all, especially the last two. I had never heard of it but it sounds like fun. Thanks for the inspiration.

I Card Everyone said...

Bonnie, I'm just getting on board the Lindsey's Magical bus and you girls go and throw another at me!
I love all of your cards - it's so funny that Tom and I went in search of feathers for our Tree Swallows today and here you are with TWO feathered cards! Birds of a feather?
LOve the purple-ish grays even if you were looking for blues and pinks!
=]

Darnell said...

I love all the ways you kept at this technique, Bon, and even if you didn't get the pinks and blues you wanted, you made incredible artistic designs! I had a guffaw about the great look on the paper towel ... same here!! Thanks for linking again to NBUS! Hugs, Dolly

TK said...

Fun and magical, the ink sounds amazing. So glad you tried new pens, as it seemed to work -- fantastic cards, Bonnie

Susan said...

All your cards turned out so well, Bonnie. My tip for getting more pink is to add quite a bit of water and then blot quickly after pulling the colour out - you'll be left with pink.

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh my goodness Bonnie, these are amazing cards - I must keep an eye out for that pen, I am not familiar with it, and your results are enough to make me want one...
Blessings
Maxine

Lisa Elton said...

A fabulous variety, Bonnie! I had to smile at the lovely titmouse card. We've been hearing them on our evening walks the past few days, but haven't laid eyes on one until this little cutie of yours!

Sandy said...

I NEVER though about using an Elegant Writer in the actual design work in card making. You have come up with quite a few designs. I love the first feather card, so unique. The Titmouse looks like he is angry - he is probably saying "What? No seed?"
I can't believe I am going to say this but my favorite card is the very last insect card. BEAUTIFUL! I usually don't like insect cards but your wings look quite translucent. I am quite taken with the lines - beautifully done Bonnie.
Sandy xx

Brenda in IN said...

Your Elegant Writer cards are all terrific. I especially love the smooshed feathers. Each card has it's own color and shading by how much water you used. Great designs on each one too.

Cat Craig said...

Cool look. Interesting technique. bEAUTIFUL CARDS.

Leslie Miller said...

I love how you played with this technique, and all results are beautiful, but I can definitely see the pinks in the last two cards. Apparently it pays to use the writer before it gets too old. I'm enjoying all the samples!

Nstiz said...

What incredible effects, Bonnie! I'd never think to do things like this and the results are fantastic! Every single one of these cards is a winner. Love the way that Elegant writer did bleed into wonderful grays and neutrals.

BożenA said...

I really like that you also used other colors in some of the cards. This marker is truly unique and I love how the colors flow when you arouse them with water.
xx

Loll said...

Gorgeous cards Bonnie. What a difference a new pen made! I love the pink and blue tones with this fun pen. Your dragonfly is gorgeous, especially with the glitter on top. xx

Marcia Hill said...

Well I can definitely see that I'm going to have to go Amazon shopping...your cards are FABULOUS Bonnie!! I've heard Loll talk about the pen before but really had no idea what it did, but after seeing all your lovely, lovely cards, I can see that I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for enabling!! Haha!! Hugs. :0)

Nance said...

Oooo, Bonnie! These are all gorgeous! I'm going to have to purchase some new elegant writers to try this. Mine are super old. Absolutely beautiful!

Vicky Hayes said...

I've never heard of Elegant Writers Bonnie but I love the way you have investigated all aspects of using them here! Lots of different looks and all gorgeous! Vicky x

Trina P. said...

Amazing collection and experimentation! I need to buy me some of these elegant writers!