Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Soft Stems

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by!

It's color week at Just Us Girls and the colors make me think of Halloween,
but I went in a different direction.  The colors? Purple, Orange and Mustard!


I pressed some Wilted Violet on my craft mat and spritzed with water to smoosh the 
bottom portion of a mixed media panel, dried it and smooshed some more.  Then I 
pressed Villainous Potion on my mat and repeated for a little contrast.

I used the same technique on the the top portion with Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade.

Then to figure out what to put on the piece?

I've had this Soft Stems stamp set in my NBUS box for some time.  I picked a stem and
stamped on top of the dried smooshed piece with SSS Iris ink.  I had to stamp again to 
get good coverage and used a damp waterbrush on each flower head to blend the color.

The butterfly is from an experiment using a hot foil plate with ink, putting on
my Betterpress and just pressing the top plate with my hands.  It doesn't stamp as
crisply as pressing it with the machine, but that could be due to the fact that I
foiled the plate instead of the paper one time. Oops!

Challenges:
NBUS #61 - Never Before Used Schtuff

 



Card Recipe
Stamps:  Soft Stems (PB)
Ink:   Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Wilted Violet, Villainous Potion, Rusty Hinge (DI), Iris (SSS), Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper:   Mixed Media (Strathmore 400 series), Small Butterflies Foil Plate (& Die PFS), Clear EP
Other:  


Enjoy!


If you would like to subscribe by email,
please fill out the contact form in the upper right sidebar.
It is also important to add stampingwithklass1@gmail.com to your contact list
so Google recognizes the address and delivers the updates.

To unsubscribe please use the same form on the sidebar adding
unsubscribe to the message.

Thanks to all who have subscribed to my blog by email.
Your sweet and thoughtful comments warm my heart!


19 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Oh, I have one of those specially foiled plates, too, Bonnie! However, oops was not the first word from my mouth when it happened.
That darling little butterfly was the perfect bit of orange for your gorgeous card - wow do I love that background!
=]

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous smooshed background, Bonnie - perfect for the silhouette stems and sweet butterfly! So far I've escaped "special foiling" on my plates - knock on wood! But I feel for you :)

Marcia Hill said...

The colors make me think Halloween too Bonnie, but I much prefer the direction you took with your gorgeous smooshed background and the flowers and butterfly! Had to chuckle at your "foiled butterfly plate" as I have a few of those in my collection too, and like Michele, the first words out of my mouth were not "oops"! Haha!! But anyway, your card is absolutely lovely and you've used the challenge colors beautifully!! Hugs. :0)

JoAnn said...

Your smooshed background is so pretty with those colors and the perfect landing spot for the butterfly and stems. Love your card.

Bobby said...

Smooshed backgrounds are some of my favorites, Bonnie, and I love the way the two colors come together on yours. I don't know how you kept them from making 'mud' but the joint has so much movement and interest. The simple stem and lovely butterfly finished off your card beautifully. Thanks for sharing it with us at Just Us Girls.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Lurve the background and colours mixes. Gorgeous card. x

Carol D. said...

Love your BG. I"ll be trying that soon. Love your cards.

Pat said...

That smooshed background is a beauty Bonnie and I love the Soft Stems stamped in the purple colour ink and the orange butterfly is terrific and finished with a lovely sentiment..the ornate edge to the mat looks great too. x

Cat Craig said...

wow, that background is fantastic and sets off your foreground images perfectly.

Lisa Elton said...

Spotted this little beauty in our JUGs gallery! Great use of the colors, Bonnie, thanks for playing this week!

Carol said...

Pretty card Bonnie. And your use of our colors is great too! Thanks for playing along with us at Just Us Girls! Great to see you in our gallery again!

TK said...

Your card is a PERFECT use of those colors! Oh my, love the background, love the stems and sweet butterfly -- so pretty, Bonnie!

Nstiz said...

It didn't matter what you used on that background since your background stole the show here. It's GORGEOUS! Thanks for describing your process too. I would never think to use those colors together but they are fabulous! Beautiful card, Bonnie!

HilaryJane said...

That's an interesting colour combo, but you have made it shine. I just love that background. Your NBUS stems and butterfly work perfectly. An excellent card xx

BożenA said...

I love this card at first sight! The colors blend so amazingly on the card. And who would have thought that yellow and purple would look so amazing together!
BożenA xx

Leslie Miller said...

These are beautiful colors together and I love the smooshy background. Nothing goes better with everything than leaves... perfect choice, Bonnie!

Vicky Hayes said...

Everything about this card is beautiful but I am especially in awe of the background in those unexpected colours! You have inspired me again Bonnie!! Vicky x

Sue from Oregon said...

This is so pretty! Love the pretty colors and your lovely background. Thanks for sharing with us at Penny Black Saturday Challenge! 💕 Sue Kment

Christine Alexander said...

I love that colour combo and must remember to use it ♥